The XenForo add-on system allows third parties to add functionality to or change functionality in XenForo, generally without requiring you to make any changes by hand. Many add-ons can be downloaded from the XenForo Resource Manager.
Support Considerations with Add-ons
Although many add-ons focus on adding new areas to XenForo, there is always an interaction with the core components of XenForo. This can introduce unexpected behavior and bugs.
If you have a problem, it is recommended that you disable all add-ons and see if you can reproduce the problem. If the problem does not occur, it is likely due to an add-on and you may not be able to get official support for your problem. If it still occurs, it’s possible that the issue is a bug or problem within the core components of XenForo. We will not be able to help with any problem that occurs within a third-party add-on.
Initial protocol for troubleshooting uncommon problems will be asking you to confirm the issue without any add-ons and on an unmodified style. It is recommended that you test for the issue under those conditions before submitting a ticket.
Installing a New Add-on
The exact procedure for installing a new add-on will be directed by the creator of that add-on. However, in general, the procedure will be as follows:
- Download the add-on and unzip it.
- Upload the add-ons files into your XenForo installation. This will usually create a new directory within the library/ directory in your XenForo installation. In general, this shouldn’t overwrite any existing files.
- From your control panel, go to the "install add-on" page. The add-on will have provided an XML file somewhere within it. Upload that file here and submit the form.
Upgrading an Existing Add-on
Upgrading an add-on is similar to installing a new add-on. However, you must use the upgrade option for the add-on you are upgrading. You cannot upgrade an add-on from the "install add-on" page.
- Download the new version of the add-on and unzip it.
- Upload the add-ons files into your XenForo installation. This will overwrite some files.
- From your control panel, go to "list add-ons". Find the add-on you are upgrading, expand the "controls" menu and select "upgrade". Upload the XML file that is provided with the add-on and submit the form.
Disabling an Add-on
Depending on how the add-on is integrated, you may find that its pages still work or that there are references to those pages in your templates. You may need to uninstall the add-on or manually remove those.
Disabling an add-on will effectively turn it off. Any integration into XenForo will be removed until the add-on is enabled again. If you have any problems, support will recommend that you disable your add-ons.
To disable an add-on, choose "disable" from the "controls" menu in the add-on list. To enable an add-on, choose "enable" from the same menu.
Uninstalling an Add-on
Depending on how the add-on is integrated, you may still find references to it in your templates after it is uninstalled. You will have to remove those references manually.
Uninstalling an add-on will remove it from your XenForo installation completely. Any data associated with the add-on is likely to be removed. You will not be able to recover that data after uninstalling the add-on!
To uninstall an add-on, choose "uninstall" from the "controls" menu in the add-on list. This does not remove any of the add-ons files that you uploaded when installing it.
This will be covered in our developer documentation.