XPress - A theme and bridge for bringing WordPress into XenForo [Deleted]

I'm glad everything is working out for you, but my post you quoted is 19 days old (The post regarding my issue and support ticket 22 days) and I have yet to receive any official reply here or at themehouse.com . And it's not like they aren't watching. TH staff has been liking any post that is in opposition to me and the issues I've been having all while ignoring the issue completely.

So I don't think I'm wrong expressing my opinion in this way.

Also I agree with you on the progress and the quality of their products, They do AMAZING Work, and I happily use many of their addons. It's just in my experience, support has been poor. That is why I ended my subscription with TH.

Personally, I've also had exceptional service from ThemeHouse.

You're mistaken, however. Your initial post in this thread was on a Saturday. You did have another community member try to help you over the weekend, but when that was unsuccessful, Lukas replied to your issue on the following Monday, during TH's business hours. Based on his response, it doesn't appear that it's a failure of the bridge.

As XenForo and WordPress run fundamentally different versions of jQuery, it is not recommended to remove either one at this time, and not supported by us either. You can probably do it manually by unloading the WordPress jQuery and moving the XenForo jQuery includation to the head. The latter has to be done in general for your XenForo installation though, and cannot be done "specifically for XPress".

I can understand your frustration, but misrepresenting the service you received isn't really fair to them.

The response I received basically emphasized that TH doesn't work weekends, and that since WP and XF use different versions of jQuery that are required for each platform, TH could not promise a fix.
Yet we're launching a compatibility mode with the next update to resolve this problem for anyone still running into it. At the point of our reply, it just wasn't sure if this was doable. I mean I see how the situation was not optimal for you, no question, but I wouldn't see what else we could do other than tell you the truth. Alternatively, we could've kept you busy until we figured out if it's even doable, and then - in the event of it not being doable - tell you that you waited for essentially nothing. I doubt that option is preferable.

Personally, I've also had exceptional service from ThemeHouse.

You're mistaken, however. Your initial post in this thread was on a Saturday. You did have another community member try to help you over the weekend, but when that was unsuccessful, Lukas replied to your issue on the following Monday, during TH's business hours. Based on his response, it doesn't appear that it's a failure of the bridge.

I can understand your frustration, but misrepresenting the service you received isn't really fair to them.

I will admit I missed that response in the forums, I apologize. The forum thread was intended for the community to jump in with any ideas. Not so much for TH staff as I already submitted a support ticket prior.

I would also like to point out that some of my frustrations where due to XF staff not helping with functions of XF while I was trying to troubleshot the issue. I may have over reacted a bit towards TH, and for that I apologize as well.

Yet we're launching a compatibility mode with the next update to resolve this problem for anyone still running into it. At the point of our reply, it just wasn't sure if this was doable. I mean I see how the situation was not optimal for you, no question, but I wouldn't see what else we could do other than tell you the truth. Alternatively, we could've kept you busy until we figured out if it's even doable, and then - in the event of it not being doable - tell you that you waited for essentially nothing. I doubt that option is preferable.

I appreciate the update regarding a compatibility mode. Where can I read more about what this mode actually does/fixes?

And you are right I would much preferred to be told the truth, even if it isn't necessarily in my favor. That way I would at least know what my options are and start to figure out a gameplan to resolve the issue.

My only issue with support is how long it takes to receive a response with substance. In regards to my ticket with xpress it took 4 days two of which were on the weekend granted. But I submitted the ticket on a Friday about 2 hours before TH opened. and received a response shortly before TH closed on the following Monday.

If the issue was a simple as not knowing if it was doable or not. It would have been great to know sooner. Especially it was something that was easy to fix (It wasn't) as I would probably just stuck with it until a fix became available. Because of the silence and the uncertainty of how long my site would be down I got to work.

With that said, Is there an ETA on the new release with the compatibility mode? I would like to get my xpress addon back on the official roadmap.

Last edited:
My only issue with support is how long it takes to receive a response with substance. In regards to my ticket with xpress it took 4 days two of which were on the weekend granted. But I submitted the ticket on a Friday about 2 hours before TH opened. and received a response shortly before TH closed on the following Monday.

If you post a technical question to our support system, you'll likely have to wait for a developer to reply for it. Unlike our staff that handles other more "trivial" questions such as customization or inquiries related to purchasing, etc., you're basically bound to wait until a developer has time. As we - hence the name - mainly develop products, we don't spend all day on ticket support, and operate outside the normal ticket support hours. That said, we still try to get back to you as soon as possible, but as your ticket was posted up on Friday after I left the office and was assigned to me, it was basically bad luck at that point. It's essentially the "same" problem/solution pair as before: someone who doesn't know much more than you do about that problem or an automated system could reply to you, but that doesn't really help anyone either.

I appreciate the update regarding a compatibility mode. Where can I read more about what this mode actually does/fixes?

We normally post up the documentation on new features at latest a few days after the update goes live, normally simultaneously.

With that said, Is there an ETA on the new release with the compatibility mode? I would like to get my xpress addon back on the official roadmap.
The update is currently being tested by our beta team. Unless they find some major breaking points, we expect it to be released by next week.

Thank you all for your honest feedback and attention here, reading stuff like this makes a tough job a bit easier. Its a big system, requires love and care, and we want the ideal solution here. Thanks to everyone on this, and please always do consider to add any issues to the tracker. If we mistakenly miss something or close something, do let us know on that as well!

TMy website was fundamentally broken and had already completely redesigned it to use xpress over xenporta and that cost downtime.

I either had to revert costing more downtime or try to fix it myself. I opted for the latter.

So you're saying you did not test this on a test server like any sane administrator would prior to deploying highly invasive bridge software into production. The only person you can blame for this 'downtime' is yourself or your QA process and procedures.

I've been testing various bridging software since 2016 and have yet to go live with any.

Last edited:
So you're saying you did not test this on a test server like any sane administrator would prior to deploying highly invasive bridge software into production. The only person you can blame for this 'downtime' is yourself or your QA process and procedures.

I've been testing various bridging software since 2016 and have yet to go live with any.
Cool!

Today I learned about your very interesting addon - some questions:

• Is there any time frame for importer from "better/good enough blogs"?
  • Does "unified search" also work when the forum uses Xenforo Enhanced search (Elasticsearch)?
  • Who can write blog posts? Every user? Or is this a right per user group?
  • Besides the demo, are there any live sites I can take a look on?

Is there any time frame for importer from "better/good enough blogs"?

Not at the moment, no. We'll get to it in the future.

Does "unified search" also work when the forum uses Xenforo Enhanced search (Elasticsearch)?

Yes. The WordPress and XenForo search will be connected through tabs, but still operate individually. Users can easily switch between the two (and any that XenForo add-ons might add).

Who can write blog posts? Every user? Or is this a right per user group?
Everyone who has at least the "Author" WordPress role. You can grant this role to anyone you like, but be aware that every author can edit every article by default. If you want to have them all manage their own set of articles, you need to look for a wordpress plugin that provides this functionality.

Lot of errors like these every time a post is posted on WP.
Using only SSO and no cross posting between WP/XF

ErrorException: [E_NOTICE] Trying to get property 'post_type' of non-object
/home/dlifein1/public_html/wp-includes/link-template.php:643

Stack trace
Code:
#0 /home/dlifein1/public_html/wp-includes/link-template.php(643): XF::handlePhpError(8, '[E_NOTICE] Tryi...', '/home/dlifein1/...', 643, Array)
#1 /home/dlifein1/public_html/wp-includes/canonical.php(95): get_post_comments_feed_link(2130, 'feed')
#2 /home/dlifein1/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(286): redirect_canonical('https://www.dli...')
#3 /home/dlifein1/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(310): WP_Hook->apply_filters(NULL, Array)
#4 /home/dlifein1/public_html/wp-includes/plugin.php(453): WP_Hook->do_action(Array)
#5 /home/dlifein1/public_html/wp-includes/template-loader.php(12): do_action('template_redire...')
#6 /home/dlifein1/public_html/wp-blog-header.php(19): require_once('/home/dlifein1/...')
#7 /home/dlifein1/public_html/index.php(17): require('/home/dlifein1/...')
#8 {main}

Request state
Code:
array(4) {
  ["url"] => string(25) "/feed/?attachment_id=2130"
  ["referrer"] => bool(false)
  ["_GET"] => array(1) {
    ["attachment_id"] => string(4) "2130"
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(0) {
  }
}

• ErrorException: [E_NOTICE] Undefined variable: threadId
  • /home/dlifein1/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-xpress-plugin/src/XPress.php:412
Stack trace
#0 /home/dlifein1/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-xpress-plugin/src/XPress.php(412): XF::handlePhpError(8, '[E_NOTICE] Unde...', '/home/dlifein1/...', 412, Array)
#1 /home/dlifein1/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(288): XPress::{closure}(5997)
#2 /home/dlifein1/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(310): WP_Hook->apply_filters(NULL, Array)
#3 /home/dlifein1/public_html/wp-includes/plugin.php(453): WP_Hook->do_action(Array)
#4 /home/dlifein1/public_html/wp-includes/post.php(3673): do_action('save_post', 5997, Object(WP_Post), true)
#5 /home/dlifein1/public_html/wp-includes/post.php(3746): wp_insert_post(Array, false)
#6 /home/dlifein1/public_html/wp-admin/includes/post.php(377): wp_update_post(Array)
#7 /home/dlifein1/public_html/wp-admin/includes/ajax-actions.php(1745): edit_post()
#8 /home/dlifein1/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(286): wp_ajax_inline_save('')
#9 /home/dlifein1/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(310): WP_Hook->apply_filters('', Array)
#10 /home/dlifein1/public_html/wp-includes/plugin.php(453): WP_Hook->do_action(Array)
#11 /home/dlifein1/public_html/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php(100): do_action('wp_ajax_inline-...')
#12 {main}

Request state
array(4) {
["url"] => string(24) "/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php"
["referrer"] => string(38) "https://www.dlife.in/wp-admin/edit.php"
["_GET"] => array(0) {
}
["_POST"] => array(32) {
["post_title"] => string(74) "Indian Type 2 Diabetes Reversal Success Story on LCHF KETO Diet – Meena"
["post_name"] => string(69) "indian-type-2-diabetes-reversal-success-story-on-lchf-keto-diet-meena"
["mm"] => string(2) "09"
["jj"] => string(2) "13"
["aa"] => string(4) "2018"
["hh"] => string(2) "10"
["mn"] => string(2) "09"
["ss"] => string(2) "07"
["post_author"] => int(1)
["post_password"] => string(8) "********"
["post_category"] => array(2) {
[0] => string(1) "0"
[1] => string(2) "26"
}
["tax_input"] => array(1) {
["post_tag"] => array(0) {
}
}
["comment_status"] => string(4) "open"
["_status"] => string(7) "publish"
["_inline_edit"] => string(10) "f48cecf9f0"
["post_view"] => string(4) "list"
["screen"] => string(9) "edit-post"
["action"] => string(11) "inline-save"
["post_type"] => string(4) "post"
["post_ID"] => string(4) "5997"
["edit_date"] => string(4) "true"
["post_status"] => string(7) "publish"
["content"] => string(4148) "[tm_pb_section admin_label=\"section\"][tm_pb_row admin_label=\"row\"][tm_pb_column type=\"4_4\"][tm_pb_text admin_label=\"Text\" text_orientation=\"left\" use_border_color=\"off\" border_color=\"#ffffff\" border_style=\"solid\"]

The <a href=\"https://www.dlife.in/forums/\">community section</a> of this site was launched on 21st August, 2014. <a href=\"https://www.dlife.in/forums/members/meena.10/\">Meena</a> was second registrant on the forum and was already on <a href=\"https://www.dlife.in/news-and-resea...lipids/indian-lchf-keto-why-the-word-indian/\">Indian Low Carb High Fat diet</a> by then and for next next three days she meticulously helped, along with <a href=\"https://www.dlife.in/forums/members/hsd.12/\">HSD</a> (third registrant) to populate content so that it didn\'t look like a ghost town when we launched it on 21st August 2014. Once we were live, within a week around 160 Indian diabetics, who have been convinced about the idea of LCHF diet for managing diabetes and obesity, jumped ship from the other forum where <a href=\"https://www.dlife.in/forums/members/anup-singh.2/\">Anup Singh</a> used to talk about LCHF diet. LCHF diet already had a following among Indians by then. Three of them toiled hard for 3 days to get some content on the community before taking it live.

This preceding introduction was necessary before we move on to Meena\'s diabetes reversal success story.

Meena is a Type 2 Indian diabetic and as usual has been going through the nightmare of increasing weight, poor blood sugar control , despite increasing medications. She switched to LCHF diet and was able to avoid Pioz that was prescribed to her. Before that, on insistence from her doctors, she had tried going extremely low fat diet (call it VEGAN?) but the despair continued. On LCHF, she <a href=\"https://www.dlife.in/forums/threads...efore-and-after-lchf-pics.16643/#post-154449\">lost around 9kg weight</a> effortlessly and her <a href=\"https://www.dlife.in/news-and-resea...sugar-testing-at-home-what-range-to-aim-for/\">blood sugar</a> levels dropped.

Being a working professional from creative background in education multimedia, she posted her testimonial as a graphic in the following thread:
<h6 class=\"p-title-value\"><a href=\"https://www.dlife.in/forums/threads/member-testimonial-meena.15928/\">Member Testimonial - Meena</a></h6>
Her journey as a diabetic from high carb low fat diet to Indian Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) diet in her own words in form of an audio visual below:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
<pre>Image &amp; AV Credit: All images and AV file provided by Meena with a permission to use them on this site.</pre>
&nbsp;

[/tm_pb_text][/tm_pb_column][/tm_pb_row][tm_pb_row admin_label=\"Row\"][tm_pb_column type=\"4_4\"][tm_pb_button admin_label=\"Button\" button_url=\"https://www.dlife.in/forums/register/?dlr=1\" url_new_window=\"off\" button_text=\"Join Now\" button_alignment=\"center\" custom_button=\"off\" button_letter_spacing=\"0\" button_use_icon=\"default\" button_icon_placement=\"right\" button_on_hover=\"on\" button_letter_spacing_hover=\"0\"] [/tm_pb_button][/tm_pb_column][/tm_pb_row][tm_pb_row admin_label=\"Row\"][tm_pb_column type=\"4_4\"][tm_pb_posts admin_label=\"Posts\" terms_type=\"categories\" categories=\"26\" posts_per_page=\"8\" post_offset=\"0\" super_title=\"Few More Diabetes Reversal Success Stories\" title_delimiter=\"on\" more=\"on\" more_text=\"More Success Stories\" ajax_more=\"off\" more_url=\"https://www.dlife.in/category/dlife-indian-lchf-keto-diet-success-stories/\" excerpt=\"0\" image_size=\"thumbnail\" meta_data=\"on\" post_layout=\"layout-1\" use_space=\"on\" use_rows_space=\"on\" item_title_font_size=\"17px\" use_border_color=\"off\" border_color=\"#ffffff\" border_style=\"solid\" custom_button=\"off\" button_letter_spacing=\"0\" button_use_icon=\"default\" button_icon_placement=\"right\" button_on_hover=\"on\" button_letter_spacing_hover=\"0\"] [/tm_pb_posts][/tm_pb_column][/tm_pb_row][/tm_pb_section]"
["excerpt"] => string(0) ""
["user_ID"] => int(11)
["ping_status"] => string(6) "closed"
["post_mime_type"] => string(0) ""
["ID"] => int(5997)
["post_content"] => string(4148) "[tm_pb_section admin_label=\"section\"][tm_pb_row admin_label=\"row\"][tm_pb_column type=\"4_4\"][tm_pb_text admin_label=\"Text\" text_orientation=\"left\" use_border_color=\"off\" border_color=\"#ffffff\" border_style=\"solid\"]

The <a href=\"https://www.dlife.in/forums/\">community section</a> of this site was launched on 21st August, 2014. <a href=\"https://www.dlife.in/forums/members/meena.10/\">Meena</a> was second registrant on the forum and was already on <a href=\"https://www.dlife.in/news-and-resea...lipids/indian-lchf-keto-why-the-word-indian/\">Indian Low Carb High Fat diet</a> by then and for next next three days she meticulously helped, along with <a href=\"https://www.dlife.in/forums/members/hsd.12/\">HSD</a> (third registrant) to populate content so that it didn\'t look like a ghost town when we launched it on 21st August 2014. Once we were live, within a week around 160 Indian diabetics, who have been convinced about the idea of LCHF diet for managing diabetes and obesity, jumped ship from the other forum where <a href=\"https://www.dlife.in/forums/members/anup-singh.2/\">Anup Singh</a> used to talk about LCHF diet. LCHF diet already had a following among Indians by then. Three of them toiled hard for 3 days to get some content on the community before taking it live.

This preceding introduction was necessary before we move on to Meena\'s diabetes reversal success story.

Meena is a Type 2 Indian diabetic and as usual has been going through the nightmare of increasing weight, poor blood sugar control , despite increasing medications. She switched to LCHF diet and was able to avoid Pioz that was prescribed to her. Before that, on insistence from her doctors, she had tried going extremely low fat diet (call it VEGAN?) but the despair continued. On LCHF, she <a href=\"https://www.dlife.in/forums/threads...efore-and-after-lchf-pics.16643/#post-154449\">lost around 9kg weight</a> effortlessly and her <a href=\"https://www.dlife.in/news-and-resea...sugar-testing-at-home-what-range-to-aim-for/\">blood sugar</a> levels dropped.

Being a working professional from creative background in education multimedia, she posted her testimonial as a graphic in the following thread:
<h6 class=\"p-title-value\"><a href=\"https://www.dlife.in/forums/threads/member-testimonial-meena.15928/\">Member Testimonial - Meena</a></h6>
Her journey as a diabetic from high carb low fat diet to Indian Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) diet in her own words in form of an audio visual below:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
<pre>Image &amp; AV Credit: All images and AV file provided by Meena with a permission to use them on this site.</pre>
&nbsp;

[/tm_pb_text][/tm_pb_column][/tm_pb_row][tm_pb_row admin_label=\"Row\"][tm_pb_column type=\"4_4\"][tm_pb_button admin_label=\"Button\" button_url=\"https://www.dlife.in/forums/register/?dlr=1\" url_new_window=\"off\" button_text=\"Join Now\" button_alignment=\"center\" custom_button=\"off\" button_letter_spacing=\"0\" button_use_icon=\"default\" button_icon_placement=\"right\" button_on_hover=\"on\" button_letter_spacing_hover=\"0\"] [/tm_pb_button][/tm_pb_column][/tm_pb_row][tm_pb_row admin_label=\"Row\"][tm_pb_column type=\"4_4\"][tm_pb_posts admin_label=\"Posts\" terms_type=\"categories\" categories=\"26\" posts_per_page=\"8\" post_offset=\"0\" super_title=\"Few More Diabetes Reversal Success Stories\" title_delimiter=\"on\" more=\"on\" more_text=\"More Success Stories\" ajax_more=\"off\" more_url=\"https://www.dlife.in/category/dlife-indian-lchf-keto-diet-success-stories/\" excerpt=\"0\" image_size=\"thumbnail\" meta_data=\"on\" post_layout=\"layout-1\" use_space=\"on\" use_rows_space=\"on\" item_title_font_size=\"17px\" use_border_color=\"off\" border_color=\"#ffffff\" border_style=\"solid\" custom_button=\"off\" button_letter_spacing=\"0\" button_use_icon=\"default\" button_icon_placement=\"right\" button_on_hover=\"on\" button_letter_spacing_hover=\"0\"] [/tm_pb_posts][/tm_pb_column][/tm_pb_row][/tm_pb_section]"
["post_excerpt"] => string(0) ""
["post_date"] => string(19) "2018-09-13 10:09:07"
["post_date_gmt"] => string(19) "2018-09-13 04:39:07"
}
}

Any update on the Better Blogs importer?

If you go to this issue on GitHub and press the "Subscribe" button you'll receive an email notification as soon as there is an update.

Thats a showstopper for me. I don't want to rely on further wp plugins.

Unfortunately, that's just the how WordPress works -- you'd need an additional plugin if you're wanting normal users to have their own individual blog pages

Hey there, I'm interested in the product and wondered how I would go ahead at implementing this?

Let's say I created a fresh XenForo installation and only added UI.X (themed), what would I then do to get my blog system set up?

Can the front be customised? XenPorta?

Ty

Not at the moment, no. We'll get to it in the future.

Yes. The WordPress and XenForo search will be connected through tabs, but still operate individually. Users can easily switch between the two (and any that XenForo add-ons might add).

Everyone who has at least the "Author" WordPress role. You can grant this role to anyone you like, but be aware that every author can edit every article by default. If you want to have them all manage their own set of articles, you need to look for a wordpress plugin that provides this functionality.

You missed WPs contributor role that can only write and edit his own posts and cannot publish without approval from an editor. That's the role I give to most.

Can we transfer WordPress members to xenforo?
The addon is designed to automatically create users both for xf and wp. As for transferring I am not quite sure, but you can always manually xfer. I'm sure one of the TH team will quote a bit better on this question.

Got it working, how can I make my blog the front page and have it looking like the demo?

Ty

Last edited:
Top Bottom