XPress - A theme and bridge for bringing WordPress into XenForo [Deleted]

@EEmerson : This plugin is very good, just that it requires a significant technical level for its perfect integration.

After that, under the chassis, there are some improvements to be expected (already mentioned with Lukas), but it is really very, very good to date and we can see very clearly that it is a project that took time to develop and a significant human investment for a very small structure.

Take a step back and don't assume that a plugin is bad just because it doesn't work for YOU.

The problem is perhaps more in marketing where it should be emphasized that the plugin requires certain skills and Themehouse responds in part by increasing its price to support their customers and plan an installation of the product.

It could very well also further increase the price is simply the price offered to their "professional" customers and remove it from Xenforo resources. (see abandoned the product, which would be very, very, very regrettable)

I remind you that developers take time to answer you and they also read you...

I feel like I'm the devil's advocate sometimes, I have no special relationship with the team, I'm just another customer. ^^

Without having to read 80 pages - is it possible to have a totally different design on the wordpress section, and use other wordpress themes? I am guessing yes, but asking anyway

Last edited:
No, that's not what's happening.
I have no linked platforms.
I go to create a link to a platform.
I get the errors

And then when I go back and look, the platform was linked.

I get the errors when there is no platform linked - but the link goes through anyway.
Hope that's more clear.

To use other words... the errors appear when I am linking my first platform and I do not already have anything linked at all.

I'm trying to explain that your add-on is giving incorrect errors and this needs to be fixed on your end - I should not be getting these errors, as I've explained, it happens when I attempt to link my very first platform.

The errors appear even when the link is successful. For some reason, the add-on is programmed to send an error message in place of a success message. At first, I couldn't figure out what was going on. I thought the errors were legit. But then I saw that it had linked my platform.

I uninstalled, reinstalled, and did it again - and again, the first attempt to link a platform was met with those errors - despite the link being successful.
I had the same problem last year and you guys refused to acknowledge the problem then, too. I don't think you're understanding the issue.

I'll give you an analogy.

It's like going to change your URL on Facebook to 'peanutbuttersandwich' and it says, "sorry, that URL is taken"
And yet your URL is successfully changed to 'peanutbuttersandwich'
You got an error message despite the successful operation.
There should be a success message or no message at all.
Instead, there is an error message - on the first attempt to link a first and only platform when no links exist prior.

Last edited:
No, that's not what's happening.
I have no linked platforms.
I go to create a link to a platform.
I get the errors

The error that we're talking about here (platform_title, url_path, etc., must be unique) have their origin on your database level. In other words, there's only two scenarios where this error could be thrown: A) There does indeed already a record with these values exist, likely from a previous (failed) attempt to establish the link or B) your database is malfunctioning.

And then when I go back and look, the platform was linked.

I get the errors when there is no platform linked - but the link goes through anyway.

The link does not go through. The XenForo entity gets saved, and due to the error being of crashing nature, can't be automatically cleaned up after the linking failed. It being there has no say whatsoever about the link actually being successfully established.

I'm trying to explain that your add-on is giving incorrect errors and this needs to be fixed on your end - I should not be getting these errors, as I've explained, it happens when I attempt to link my very first platform.

The errors appear even when the link is successful. For some reason, the add-on is programmed to send an error message in place of a success message. At first, I couldn't figure out what was going on. I thought the errors were legit. But then I saw that it had linked my platform.

The add-on is definitely not "programmed to send an error on success". Any errors that you get reported are actually thrown at some point in the software and not artificially created to pretend an error has happened (what would be the point of that anyway?). If you find that they're not straightforward enough, that is the result of many of the issues happening at the remote end of the bridge (WordPress in the XPress context), and the XenForo end only receiving the final result (Error 500, 404, and so on). There's virtually no way for XenForo to say what actually happened on WordPress, hence why it can't give you specific errors.

The entirety of all errors that happen during the linking process are logged to <xf>/internal_data/xlink_errors, including the full response that was received from WordPress. Depending on the type of issue and what your server is configured to expose, you will also need to check your servers actual error log (or whatever other place you configured WordPress to log errors to) to see the full extend of what is going on. That, and our extensive troubleshooting section in the documentation covers about everything that is needed to solve these problems. Let it be said that we yet have to refund a purchase because we weren't able to get the bridge running (provided we had full access to get everything set up ourselves).

@lefoureur I am a developer, I have the skills, this add-on gives errors at the level of simple activation - this is not a lack of ability or skill here. There is something very wrong with this piece of software.

I can ensure you there is nothing wrong with the software. The "level of simple activation", as you described it is not actually the activation, that would be when you install and activate the XenForo add-on (and the WordPress plugin, if you install it manually). What you call "activation" in this context is the actual linking of XenForo and WordPress, which is, by its nature, the most complex part of the bridge, as many many factors come into play, such as your server configuration, firewalls, etc., etc. Once a platform is successfully linked, that's where everything becomes simple and trivial again.

Without having the read 80 pages - is it possible to have a totally different design on the wordpress section, and use other wordpress themes? I am guessing yes, but asking anyway

You're free to use any WordPress theme other than the XPress theme, that essentially brings your XenForo Theme to WordPress.
There's a couple of key items to note though:
  • You don't get any shared navigation if you use your own theme. That includes visitor tabs and login links for example. XPress provides all tools for integrating them into your theme if you wish to do so, but it's not integrated out of the box.
  • A couple of features do not work out of the box and require some custom modifications to your theme, most notably BB Codes in WordPress comments (if you wish to synchronize WordPress comments and XenForo posts, this would be necessary to have, otherwise you will end up with unrendered BB Code/HTML), or styling for the embedded thread view, should you opt to use that.
  • Your WordPress theme can under no circumstances be applied to XenForo through XPress.

Ok the link DOES GO THROUGH.
You aren't listening. I'm moving this to a ticket only. I remember you gave me the same BS last time and I had to request a different support guy who actually helped me.

I regret buying this, if anyone is considering buying this who reads this SAVE YOUR MONEY! The developers will only fight to defend their product that doesnt work as you can see reading the thread FULL of errors they say are the customer's fault. BS. This guy isn't even listening to my issue and trying to convince me the link didn't go through WHEN IN FACT IT DID and I get the error message BUT THE LINK IS SUCCESSFUL. Do not buy!!!

If you were to listen to what I was saying rather than dwell in your dislike for me, you'd be a way happier person with a working product. When you requested a different person last time, it was literally just someone else sending my messages, and as far as I remember, as soon as you started to follow our directions, it worked pretty fast.

I'm not sure what you think we gain from discussing with you. An hour of support literally costs us more than you paid for the product. And we've discussed a fair share of hours with you already. As soon as you start to actually work with us, you'll be one of the very many people that run this bridge without issues.

Ok the link DOES GO THROUGH.
So what is the problem then? If the link goes actually through, then the error that we apparently mistakenly throw would not have any effect on the performance of the bridge afterwards. If it doesn't, then the link didn't go though. Having it show up in the XLink platform manager doesn't mean that it went thought, as previously stated.

Last edited:
Hi,

Let's start over.
My forum gets linked successfully to my WP installation and I get the error messages.

The problem is, it made me go in circles for 45 minutes thinking it didn't link up.

Other people will have the same problem, no doubt. I'm letting you know it needs to be fixed.

And last year I had the same problem with the other installation. Although on that installation, once linked, I ran into other problems - issues that were never resolved, I had to give up trying to get support from you so I'm asking for support once more (but from a ticket, requesting the other guy who actually helps me and listens to what's going on). You didn't understand an issue I had before, either, and I requested him and he resolved it for me in 5 minutes. So I'll just keep talking to him. Thanks.

The issue prior was NEVER resolved. I literally just moved my license over because I could not get everything working properly. So... there was no resolution, you're probably referencing 1 of maybe 100 problems I encountered along the way. You guys have been FANTASTIC but not with this add-on... with this add-on you keep denying the bugs and then when you finally admit it might be a bug you say, "so what? who cares?" well - the point is you could take note of it and fix it or consider that perhaps your paying customer has a point and isn't just stupid... maybe if this add-on was functioning better you wouldn't need to support it so much?

I thought you would want to know about the bug in your software that gives error messages when there are no errors but maybe I'm wrong?

It's too late anyway, I uninstalled it from the URL I moved my license to, and decided to put it back on the other site at a later time, but i'm not ready to deal with it at the moment. But in the mean time, maybe you might want to check on that error message after a successful link because it absolutely does link up and is functional after it gives me those error messages.

You do you mate. As said earlier, we don't get anything from leading this endless pointless discussion. The entire purpose of having this product publicly available is to find and squash bugs, so there's no point in denying there is one of there actually was one. I'll leave your replies in this thread alone now. We can work a solution out in your support ticket whenever you decide to put whatever personal problems you have with me aside and start accepting the directions I give.

Umm excuse me? I told you about a bug, you told me the bug doesn't exist and that my link was not actually connected, I was trying to tell you it is connected, and you think it's a personal problem? Are you kidding me? Wow. You think this discussion is pointless because I am trying to get support on an issue you are telling me does not exist? You tell me "mate" how can I get support if you are denying my issue to start with? This is why I went to another support team member - you keep denying the issues I'm explaining and tell me it's not really happening the way it's happening... that's not a personal problem that is a request for you to listen carefully as I reword the problem but you keep telling me it's not actually happening the way it's happening... what the hell am I supposed to do when I need support and you won't even acknowledge my problem exists?

And you never gave me directions to follow that I didn't follow. We can't even establish the problem exists in the first place. I'm still trying to get you to understand what the problem is - there are no directions to follow toward resolution yet. You're still insisting that the problem isn't happening and that my blog and forum are not linked when I get the error message, but they are, and until you can acknowledge that there are no directions to give to move forward... I am so lost here dude.

I don't know what way I need to tell you that you will actually start believing me. If you get an error during the platform link save, that means your platform link didn't get established correctly. It's as simple as that. There's no discussion around it. Yes, there may be a partial link, yes, parts may be working, but you said it yourself, you're getting errors left and right and things are not working. Why? Because of that error you had during the initial save. Now as to the directions, see this post as latest example:

Any errors that you get reported are actually thrown at some point in the software and not artificially created to pretend an error has happened (what would be the point of that anyway?). If you find that they're not straightforward enough, that is the result of many of the issues happening at the remote end of the bridge (WordPress in the XPress context), and the XenForo end only receiving the final result (Error 500, 404, and so on). There's virtually no way for XenForo to say what actually happened on WordPress, hence why it can't give you specific errors.

The entirety of all errors that happen during the linking process are logged to <xf>/internal_data/xlink_errors, including the full response that was received from WordPress. Depending on the type of issue and what your server is configured to expose, you will also need to check your servers actual error log (or whatever other place you configured WordPress to log errors to) to see the full extend of what is going on. That, and our extensive troubleshooting section in the documentation covers about everything that is needed to solve these problem

I think you're talking about two different issues here. I understand what you're saying, that there might be an error underneath... but the error message was specifically telling me there was already a link set up and there was not.

Wrong error message.

Happens on the first "save" of the info.

No link is present. There should not be an error message telling me the disk path is already in use when it is a fresh install and I've literally just hit the save button once after entering the info for the first time.

If there is an error it should be a different error message.

Top Bottom