XPress - A theme and bridge for bringing WordPress into XenForo [Deleted]

@Mike Creuzer ,
I´m really hoping you can help us out with that: the date in WP-articles is formatted using the XenForo settings. That´s fine so far, but the problem comes with the additional one from WP. Since WP has no function to deactivate the use of the WP own date, the timestamp is - at least partially - doubled:

The left is XenForo, the one to the right from WP. I guess this only can be solved by changing the XPress theme and releasing an update - or is there another option?

As discussed in our ticket, this is no issue in the XPress theme. WordPress has no say in adding this second time. All relevant templates call thxpress_time_link(), which in turn calls the XenForo date_time function with the unix timestamp of the post. In other words, it's the setting in your language. You've set your date format in XenForo to include the time as well, which means whenever XenForos date_time function is called, this will happen, regardless of it being XPress or any other add-on. Pick a random template in XenForo of your choice and insert {{ date_time($xf.time) }}. 😕

As discussed in our ticket, this is no issue in the XPress theme. WordPress has no say in adding this second time. All relevant templates call thxpress_time_link(), which in turn calls the XenForo date_time function with the unix timestamp of the post. In other words, it's the setting in your language. You've set your date format in XenForo to include the time as well, which means whenever XenForos date_time function is called, this will happen, regardless of it being XPress or any other add-on. Pick a random template in XenForo of your choice and insert {{ date_time($xf.time) }}. 😕
Yes, @Lukas W. , that´s obvious - but that way it would force everyone to set the XF date to date-only. I´ve seen very few forums where this date-only setting applies and it shouldn´t be expected that forums owner have to do so - especially when you have date & time in your forums for a decade. For a good reason. Why not just making it optional?

Yes, @Lukas W. , that´s obvious - but that way it would force everyone to set the XF date to date-only. I´ve seen very few forums where this date-only setting applies and it shouldn´t be expected that forums owner have to do so - especially when you have date & time in your forums for a decade. For a good reason.
It's XF functionality. If you consider it a bug, you'll have to query the XF team on changing that. You will have a double time in multiple places in XenForo as well when you add a time to the date field, for example in all lightbox date displays, when you hover the "Reports" link in the administrator bar while having at least one open report, on the merge post inline moderator function, the ACP cron list, server error log, and other places.

If you don't mind any of the places above and want to change it specifically in XPress, create a WordPress child theme that inherits from XPress and overwrite the thxpress_edit_time_link in your child themes function.php to call XenForos date function instead. I've posted you the relevant function in the ticket.

You will have a double time in multiple places in XenForo as well when you add a time to the date field, for example in all lightbox date displays, when you hover the "Reports" link in the administrator bar while having at least one open report, on the merge post inline moderator function, the ACP cron list, server error log, and other places.
Heck, that´s something I hadn´t noticed by now - but you´re correct. How have I missed that? Thanks for the head up! So, that´s a complete different story then.

(I apologize for not digging deeper into the comments, but 49 pages is a lot.)

I see this has single sign on capabilities, which is truly my only NEED. I have a couple of questions:

I don't have any desire to show comments on my WP pages. Does this work with any (to your knowledge) WP theme, or do I have to use your XF theme?
  • There is no option as far as a know to show to show Xenforo comments on a WordPress page.
  • Did you mean "posts"? You can show Xenforo thread instead of native wp comments but keep in mind that your threads will be totally un-styled if you use another theme.
  • CSS-styling is entirely controlled by Xenforo/Themehouse
  • if your wp posts already contain comments WordPress Comments will appear, they will not be synced with XenForo

Ok, so luckily I don't have very many to add I manually, I assume I will have to do that via admin? If I register them using the normal register procedure its sure to duplicate them in Wordpress?

You can manually create the users in the XenForo ACP. Only thing that has to be taken care of is that their email addresses match. Once you created all users, go to XLink > Platforms > Your Platform > Users and click "Generate accounts". XLink will then link the newly created XenForo users with the existing WordPress accounts.

I see this has single sign on capabilities, which is truly my only NEED.

You can disable everything else if you wish to. It is possible to run XPress for SSO only, provided that both installations share the same main domain.

Right now I have a forum that has 170 members. I'm starting a WordPress site from scratch (no users). It appears to write over my XenForo Users to my WP users table, then from there sync the Users. Is there a bug I need to worry about in the short run? If the patch above addresses a bug, I'm OK to add that on my own.

Account generation currently crashes when you have a user with an email address that contains a +. You can manually patch that by overriding the following line in src/addons/ThemeHouse/XPress/RemoteHandler/Account.php:

Code:
'username' => $user->email ?: ($user->username ?: \XF::$time),
with
Code:
'username' => str_replace('+', '', $user->email ?: ($user->username ?: \XF::$time)),
in case you should run into specific issues. We intend to release the patch for this next week, however.

I don't have any desire to show comments on my WP pages. Does this work with any (to your knowledge) WP theme, or do I have to use your XF theme?

The XPress theme is entirely optional. In case you should use it, you can opt to still show native WordPress comments, and whenever no XenForo thread is linked, the native WordPress comment section will be shown regardless.

A third question. I'm going to be using subscriptions for part of the WP site. I doubt it would bleed over into user permission on XF. Would there be a general conflict with user data a third party might add on that would keep users from being synced?

It's strict XenForo > WordPress sync. You can set up Usergroup promotion options in XenForo and transition your subscriptions to XenForo user promotions if you like, but it's not required. Unless you set up promotions in XLink, WordPress roles won't be touched and all users that XPress creates on WordPress will have the default role.

Is it possible for users to purchase an item through Easy Digital Downloads & automatically add the user to certain usergroup in Xenforo?
I think not, AFAIK if you change a role in WP it will not be synced to FX. am I right @Lukas W. ?
It's strict XenForo > WordPress sync. You can set up Usergroup promotion options in XenForo and transition your subscriptions to XenForo user promotions if you like, but it's not required. Unless you set up promotions in XLink, WordPress roles won't be touched and all users that XPress creates on WordPress will have the default role.
So if a user gets upgraded to a new secondary user group in XF he will be set in an additional role in WP, right? but if I downgrade the user in XF it will not be un-set in WP, right?

I think not, AFAIK if you change a role in WP it will not be synced to FX. am I right @Lukas W. ?

Yes, XenForo -> WordPress only. WordPress role changes do not affect XenForo.

So if a user gets upgraded to a new secondary user group in XF he will be set in an additional role in WP, right? but if I downgrade the user in XF it will not be un-set in WP, right?

As long as you have a promotion with criteria for each role, he'll be changed to the first role that matches the criteria (and hence demoted), when the promotion cron is run.

If I understand the functionality of the widgets, then forum posts should display in WordPress? or is that only when using the Xpress themes?
Screenshots attached

Attachments

• forum.webp
    forum.webp
    60.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Wordpress.webp
    Wordpress.webp
    49.3 KB · Views: 15
  • There is no option as far as a know to show to show Xenforo comments on a WordPress page.
  • Did you mean "posts"? You can show Xenforo thread instead of native wp comments but keep in mind that your threads will be totally un-styled if you use another theme.
  • CSS-styling is entirely controlled by Xenforo/Themehouse
  • if your wp posts already contain comments WordPress Comments will appear, they will not be synced with XenForo

So I can basically just use this plugin as a WP bridge for Single Sign On, right? I don't have to use the Themehouse theme for my WP site, right?

If I understand the functionality of the widgets, then forum posts should display in WordPress? or is that only when using the Xpress themes?
Screenshots attached
You created a loop. The XenForo Configuration Sidebar makes the widgets you drop there available in XenForo and the WordPress configuration Widget position makes the widgets assigned there available in WordPress.

You created a loop. The XenForo Configuration Sidebar makes the widgets you drop there available in XenForo and the WordPress configuration Widget position makes the widgets assigned there available in WordPress.

Ok, sounds great, I have a widget to show posts for both in place. One to show forum posts in the WordPress sidebar, and one to show WordPress posts in the forum sidebar. Neither are visible?

Ok, sounds great, I have a widget to show posts for both in place. One to show forum posts in the WordPress sidebar, and one to show WordPress posts in the forum sidebar. Neither are visible?

We have a section for that in the documentation, including a video that outlines how to do it exactly. If that doesn't help, open a ticket with us, and we'll gladly help out.

As long as you have a promotion with criteria for each role, he'll be changed to the first role that matches the criteria (and hence demoted), when the promotion cron is run.
If I promote a user to multiple user groups on XF, it will be set with multiple roles in WP?

If I promote a user to multiple user groups on XF, it will be set with multiple roles in WP?
WordPress only supports one user role at a time. User promotions are checked in order of highest to lowest priority, and only the first matching promotion is applied.

Does this work with WooCommerce?
Does this allow you to place WP & WC widgets in XF?
Does this allow you to place XF widgets in WP?

I'm trying to see the Xpress options: as per the manual

"XPress options can be found in your XenForo Admin Control Panel → Setup → Options → [TH] "

When I navigate to it all I see is the area for the API key and a group of other general options in the (gears) dropdown which appears to be other XenForo options?

Disregard it appears tobe in Xlink

Last edited:
Top Bottom