[Ozzmodz] News Tickers

[Ozzmodz] News Tickers [Paid] 2.2.1

No permission to buy ($45.00)
why I use the news ticker instead of using the default XF feeder.
You can use a combination if you like. get the feeds with XF's feed reader and store things in your news forum. then use the rss of that news forum in the swift ticker to get the feed of it and show it as the ticker.

these providers are actually intentionally offering a feed, which means it is not sth. we are getting without their permission in first place.
search anything in google and go to the images tab. you will see billions of images. those are images shared by millions of sites. they intentionally uploaded them in their site and let you see them. but does it mean you have permission to get them, resize them, and use them in your site?
as you may know, there was a recent case against google for it and they removed the view image button from that tab and added this notice:
2019-08-25_1-49-52.webp

Again, I try to find a way to optimize the add-on by the time, because I'm also a user of my own add-ons.

One, I didn't say that one should store the stuff one gets from the feed. Since I am not posting that stuff as threads or posts, it should be clear that there is no intention in storing that stuff indefinitely, hence why I use the news ticker instead of using the default XF feeder.
You´re disregarding, what the image proxy is actual doing. Please check your admin.php?options/groups/imageLinkProxy/#imageLinkProxy. The legal point is, as soon as you are storing copyright protected material and displaying that stored content on your site, you are violating the copyright. The image proxy uses a cache system and that means you are
  1. processing the content (which in most of my feed sources is prohibited by their TOS and license agreement - they only allow the plain use, in terms of reading the feed),
  2. storing the content on your system (database, cache, anywhere on your server) isn´t a problem, as long as you don´t dispay this content, but
  3. as soon as you display that stored content from your server - what the cached proxied image is subject to - this is a copyright infringement. And it doesn´t matter, if this content is stored for a duration of months, days or seconds. It´s the fact that you do and - bottom line - are using this content unlicensed.
I can only recommend to check the TOS of your feed providers very briefly and especially the scope of it (if your feed provider is a german one, look for the term "Verwertungsrechte" and/or "Leistungsrechte"). I already had a legal issue with the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (major german newspapper), where I received a warning by their legal departement about exactly that. They offer paid licenses for integrating their feeds the way you are talking about, where processing, altering, caching, storing etc is allowed and licensed. I wasn´t aware of this, naive, and had to pay the price: short over 800 EUR for a single entry. And that was their "happy our" plan, since they were at least so nice to intentially ignore the other 200+ feed entrys and only charged one.
Two, if what all you say is true, then why is the XF engine allowed to process the image and send it through the proxy, when the image is linked normally? Right now I can go to the source of the feed, take the image in the feed, and post it here on XF and it gets processed. If what you say is true, then every single XF board is violating copyright laws right now every second.
That´s correct. And that´s why I talked about unaware webmasters. XenForo can´t take every judicative situation in every country of the world into consideration for building functionality into their software. It´s like a hammer. You can use him properly to hammer nails into a wall - or you can take the hammer and crash your neighbours skull. The hammer provides both use options, but it´s 100% your responsibility how you use him.

Also the security of your users should be more important, so not to endanger them, one should take actions to prevent that. Because technically speaking one could be liable for showing your users not secure images. How about that?
Same like above. Your responsibility.
I think sending images through the https proxy should not be a problem, even if that comes from a feed. Again, those images can come any minute from a normal user anyway, so what's the point here? Also processing it in the sense of scaling/resizing it down should also not be seen as copyright violation. If that is the case, then every single XF board is again violating copyright because every single board is responsive, which means none of us are serving the images in the original size anyway for every kind of image.. That would be technically also copyright violation then if we do display the 1920x1080 px image as 400x150px or whatever.
In times of CSS, styling and resizing is not a problem at all. And you don´t have to store anything of the content for that.
I am with you in the sense of that we should not store the stuff infinitely on the server. But as long as the feed is active, we should be able to process it to make it more secure and we should be able to resize it to our needs. We are not claiming ownership or making changes to the images in the way that we are not allowed to do. And also you forget that these providers are actually intentionally offering a feed, which means it is not sth. we are getting without their permission in first place. We are not scraping the whole content of the site, we just get whatever they let us to get which they actively encourage us to get, because they offer a feed. They can shut it down any minute they want, if people are violating their copyright.
sbj, unfortunal you´re going wrong and I highly encourage you to educate yourself here, before you got hit by surprise:

Instagram is in my plan to add support for (it was asked a lot before). (but if you still didn't buy the add-on, don't buy it assuming that I promised to bring Instagram very soon. I may bring it soon, and I may bring it a bit late. What I'm sure of is that I'll bring it finally. But I don't want it to sound like a promise that can affect your decision of buying)

My add-on is not downloading the content. It is getting the data from the feed and only showing it. If it was downloading and storing the data in your server, then we could make a feature to compress the images. But when it is only showing content from a feed, how can you compress it? (I'm not an expert. so I admit I don't know how to do it atm. if you have the knowledge, I would appreciate to let me know, and I'll try my best to implement)

But if you see I'm right and it's not possible, then I can suggest 1 thing. Try googlepagespeed and see if it can help you? Actually, if you see the server side of it properly, it can completely improve your site's speed by showing the resized version of all images based on their displaying size, and that is a huge improvement. (do your researches on how to set it up, as it is something completely unrelated to my add-on)

Not yet. I don't plan on bringing a lot of tickers freely. I only will bring new tickers if there be enough requests and a little investment.

Sometimes intiviruses also can affect. It happened to one of my own websites a few days ago and it was also as you mentioned, related to tracking. I had facebook pixel and google tag manager and I had issues in my site. I was sure I'm not using adblocker, but then I saw my bitdefender extension was blocking some stuff. I allowed the website in the extension and everything worked.

I don't think such bug exists. I enabled 3 sliders to check, and all worked.
There is an option for the tickers for pausing the slider on hover. (another option to pause after expanding closed) Maybe sometimes your mouse is on the slider that is not moving?
Do your tests with these 2 options and see if its ok? (I tested multiple times and all the times worked. but anyways if we see there is bug surely I'll try to fix it)

Depending on the source of the content (images included) that may happen. and it is totally out of our control. Either you want to show those stuff, or not. If you show, it may come from a source that ssl may be sensitive about, or it may come from somewhere that is OK. But yeah it is normal and I don't think I can do anything for it, as again, we are not downloading the content. We are just reading it
(Yes technically we can create a system to download everything. sort of like a crawler. but for a lot of reason we shouldn't do that, 1 of which is legal issues)

@sbj please update me about the stuff we discussed to see what is our next step.
Fair enough, I'll await it out.

For instagram, this may be useful which costs 10$. I got the tip from @sixlxvi

You can see it in action on his site.
If you are telling to him, then nothing.

But if you are suggesting it to me: I can say I'll make it like other social media in the addon. Just like how you easily add a youtube or twitter pages, you will be able to AZ add instagram pages and it will pull the media, caption and... of it. (So the final look will be the same as rest of the addon so that it fits the whole system)

It is a shame that this addon doesn't get much attention.
I am back from holidays and will write later about the stuff we talked about when I have more time in the following weeks.

Meanwhile, even though this slows heavily my main page, according to my search console, my clicks and impressions tripled.
I activated it around 21.08 and you see my last 3 months.

1571314213685.webp

I also activated two other addons in the same time. So not 100% sure that this addon only has affected my stats, but I believe it is mainly because of this addon.

So I encourage anyone to test it out.

I am back from holidays and will write later about the stuff we talked about when I have more time in the following weeks.
Sure. I'll be around to check everything out together to improve it as much as we can.

I also activated two other addons in the same time. So not 100% sure that this addon only has affected my stats, but I believe it is mainly because of this addon.
That's cool. Glad to hear your site is improved a lot while you were on holidays :D

Reactions: sbj
If you are telling to him, then nothing.

But if you are suggesting it to me: I can say I'll make it like other social media in the addon. Just like how you easily add a youtube or twitter pages, you will be able to AZ add instagram pages and it will pull the media, caption and... of it. (So the final look will be the same as rest of the addon so that it fits the whole system)
So does that mean you can make it work with instagram? Sorry for the confusion.

@tommydamic68

As you can see on https://xen-pro.com/, Instagram is also added now. (there are only 2 little issues with it, that I'll look into it and if everything was fine, I'll release it later. Now I can't work more on it as I have to do other stuff. Next time I work on it, I hope everything goes fine so that then I release it)

@Dadparvar I only want to show the news tickers on a single (and separate) page (/News), not as a widget. Since the feed loading slow down the page a lot, I don't want it as a widget on several pages.
How do I go about doing that?

@Dadparvar I only want to show the news tickers on a single (and separate) page (/News), not as a widget. Since the feed loading slow down the page a lot, I don't want it as a widget on several pages.
How do I go about doing that?
I think what you want, is simply Creating a Page, and just include the news ticker inside it. Right?

There are many ways you can do this. Like adding a widget and put the widget tag inside your page, or set the widget conditions the way to only be displayed in your page, and ...

But here is the step by step for one of the ways:

1. Add a Page
2020-06-03_3-34-17.webp

2. Add a widget (widget key can be anything. it will be used in the tag)
2020-06-03_3-40-20.webp

3. Use the Widget Syntax (tag) inside your Page's " Template HTML" field
2020-06-03_3-40-07.webp

Result:
2020-06-03_3-56-13.webp

Is that what you needed?

Thanks!

A problem: Clicking the image (with the eye symbol), does nothing. Isn't it supposed to expand the news entry?

Top Bottom