[XFR] Anti-Spam - Moderate or Reject Registration By Country or Proxy [Deleted]

Brent W

BamaStangGuy submitted a new resource:

CloudFlare Anti-Spam - VPN, Proxy & Country Blocking - Moderate VPNs, Proxies and and countries when registering.

This add-on requires CloudFlare. This add-on only requires the free CloudFlare service to work. None of the features will work without it. It is a great service and free, so you have no reason not to use it ;)

Moderate VPN, Proxy and Datacenter Registrations
Using a combination of CloudFlare and Get IP Intel you can now reliably moderate users that are connecting from VPNs, Proxies and known Datacenter IP Addresses. All you need is a...

Read more about this resource...

We have been testing the VPN and Proxy detection on all of our sites here: https://www.whippmedia.com for the last two weeks. We have not had a single false positive during the testing. This add-on was coded to be simple and straight to the point. It uses the Get IP Intel service in the strictest way to avoid false positives.

For more information on the 3rd party service we use click here: https://getipintel.net/

From their FAQ:
Why is this service free?
I created this project because I couldn't find any good alternatives for a reasonable price. Since I have a masters degree in Computer Science specializing in Networking with interests in Machine Learning and NetSec, it's a fitting project for me to embark on. Compared to a popular paid service, the number of free queries that's being served by GetIPIntel translates to $60,000+/month and I've been told by a few people that GetIPIntel catches more proxies / VPN / bad IPs than said paid service. I'm offering it for free in the spirit of openess. Just because it's free, it does not mean it's bad, inaccurate, easy to develop, or easy to maintain. To keep things simple, please do not abuse this service as a free user and if you need more queries, contact me for a custom plan. If you're feeling generous, BTC / Paypal is at the bottom of the page.

Why is this different from similar services (even paid?)
There are many other services like this one that uses simple block lists, meaning a particular IP / IP block is specifically added or removed either manually or by code from various known/trusted sources. During a lookup, if the IP is on the list, then simply return the result accordingly. However, it's a very limited view because if the IP is not on a list, it doesn't mean it's not a proxy / VPN / bad IP. It means that the simple block list system does not know or have not come across that IP address. To claim an IP address is not a proxy / VPN / bad IP just because the system has never come across the IP is a logical fallacy (see Argument from Ignorance). GetIPIntel uses Machine Learning & Probability Theory techniques to infer on IPs it doesn't have explicit knowledge about (see What are dynamic checks?) and compute the output when you request it using up to date and large data sets. Thus, using a combination of block lists with dynamic checks will produce a more accurate result because the overall system is more intelligent.

I use CloudFlare with registration timer and get next to no spam without this add-on. CloudFlare is pretty good at managing traffic on its own IMO.

I use CloudFlare with registration timer and get next to no spam without this add-on. CloudFlare is pretty good at managing traffic on its own IMO.

That is fine if it works for you alone. We moderate around 20 registrations a day that would have gotten through without VPN or country detection. To each their own.

Question, ...

My site already has SSL cert on it, I will be using the free version at Cloudflare.

Having read at Cloudflare, does this ask me to basically ditch my ssl cert for theirs when changing nameservers??

Sorry to ask, but I am not sure.

tnx

You have to change nameservers to theirs but you can still do SSL through them as well.

Reactions: CTS
Thanks.

Is getIPintel built-in?
Does it block vpn and tor for already registered members that log in after i install or just for registrations?

Future request, can a logging system be added? or alert for admin? Or does Cloudflare do logging.

Thanks in advance

Thanks.

Is getIPintel built-in?
Does it block vpn and tor for already registered members that log in after i install or just for registrations?

GetIPIntel is built in. All you need to do is provide an email address in the options area to enable it.

This only detects new registrations not existing ones.

Future request, can a logging system be added? or alert for admin? Or does Cloudflare do logging.

Thanks in advance

This is planned.

Reactions: CTS
I am liking how this works and have it setup as well as cloudflare setup.

Quick Q please,...

Other Measures
If a user visits your site and deems them as untrustworthy, this add-on will hide the Registration page, New Reply page, New Thread Page, Conversation Page and New Profile Comment section from the end user.

Can you provide some more details on how this works. Primarily, what metrics does this compare to and how is it applied to current users. I dont mind my users using a vpn or tor, but I certainly want to moderate registrations that use them.

So if an already registered member visits the site, can they still participate, and at what point does the addon "deem them as untrustworthy".

Do you know what I am asking?

I am liking how this works and have it setup as well as cloudflare setup.

Quick Q please,...

Can you provide some more details on how this works. Primarily, what metrics does this compare to and how is it applied to current users. I dont mind my users using a vpn or tor, but I certainly want to moderate registrations that use them.

So if an already registered member visits the site, can they still participate, and at what point does the addon "deem them as untrustworthy".

Do you know what I am asking?

The criteria is left up to CloudFlare and is dictated by the Security Level setting you choose. It applies to all visitors, registered or guest.

I apologize in advance, but being new to cloudflare I am on a learning curve.

Could you possibly help me in understanding the settings on cloudflare?

• I wish to moderate vpn and tor users at the point of registration, but I do not wish to stop approved members from using a vpn or tor after registration.
  • Also, I note that my ssl cert is showing up in my address bar in my browser, not cloudflares. Is this normal?

Basically, although the mod is real easy to setup, cloudflare has me bungled up.
Which "clouds" should be grey and which "clouds" should be orange in a proper setup at cloudflare.

Again sorry for what is probably basic questions for others, and thank you for your assistance.

Mark

I wish to moderate vpn and tor users at the point of registration, but I do not wish to stop approved members from using a vpn or tor after registration.

The VPN part is only checked on registration. Once approved, they will be able to post without issue.

Also, I note that my ssl cert is showing up in my address bar in my browser, not cloudflares. Is this normal?

I would need a link to site to check.

Which "clouds" should be grey and which "clouds" should be orange in a proper setup at cloudflare.

Anything that points to your servers ip address should be orange cloud. Usually A records.

I tested by using a datacenter ip to register and it moderated but there was no information in the "users awaiting approval" page for the user. Can you include a field about why the user is being moderated like StopForumSpam does so I know why it's being moderated(such as TOR, VPN, Proxy, Country Block etc.) ?

@Brent W - are you waiting with the development for XF2? Because it`s now 3 Months since your last Post or Update. And i am looking forward for the disposable Email Support.

Top Bottom