XenZine Articles [Deleted]

Which browser are you using, and have you refreshed the page (due to cache, since I've made some js updates recently)

I've checked IE6, IE7, IE8, latest IE, Chrome, FF, IPad, IPhone ... so, that leaves Safari (et el..) which I'm looking at now...

Edit, no issue on safari?

This is almost perfect for what I am looking for, but I have a few questions.

1) Does this support multiple images in the article body?

2) Is there any chance floating the images into certain positions in the text? Ie, right, left, center. I saw this was spoken about earlier, but didn't find a specific answer.

3) Can we submit articles to multiple categories?

4) The keywords, are they like tags? Ie, you enter the keyword and that links all the articles with that keyword together? If so, are they links to the search for that word? If not, could they be?

@Lee
1) Yes, the content is effectively the same as a forum post... it's the same editor and an attachment handler similar to the core. So the limitations you have on a forum post will be similar to those you have on an article (you can add multiple images to the content of your article)

2) See above, making this possible would require some work and thought (it's not high in my priorities right now, so I haven't added it to the to-do list... yet)

3) No, but maybe that should be possible (hmm..) I'll add this one to the to-do list

4) No, the keywords are related to the keywords put inside the article header for that page (so search engines pick this up). I can make these searchable too, but.. should I need to? The body content of the article is already searchable (and will more than often contain the keywords), as is associated discussion... I'll add it to the to-do list, but it's not all that necessary.

Last edited:
I just thought if we could link them all together it might be a nice way to quickly find relevant articles. I might be way off the mark of what you were planning though, and it isn't a deal breaker for me. So, thanks for the quick response, and hopefully I will be purchasing from you soon. Just waiting on multiple page articles! (Can we manually add page breaks, or are they done every x words - or both?:)).

Re keywords and duplicate articles

Keywords would be good .... one day. But to be effective it needs a system to either force authors to complete the keyword entries and do it well OR have a software automagic picks up proposed keywords.
then headache because later articles add keywords to the keyword list, and older articles dont have the new ones.
So not a simple feature to add.

Duplicate articles. I dont know how complicated this is but I always very much need it. However good categories are there are always lots of things that fit 2 or even 3.
I've always favoured Virtual Articles - you actually place the article in Category 1 but add it to Cat 2 and Cat 3.
But the links in Cat2 and Cat3 actually link to the base article in Cat1.
Nit sure how best to handle searches, maybe just a bar on a result showing all 3?

@tenants

I have a little question for you. This would be made a whole lot more powerful if we could specify our own container template for this and potentially break away from the xenForo design, is that possible?

tenants updated XenZine Articles with a new update entry:

Carousel update

• Added carousel for any of the list pages, the optional blocks can now be styled with Caroufredsel or Masonry (this is an option in the ACP)
  • The Carousel Script has been customised slightly, so that images can always be centred (the Caroufredsel demo only centres fixed widths.. this version centres all layouts)
  • The Carousel Button have been created from scratch, these are customised to work with your forum style colour out of the box

Read the rest of this update entry...

Last edited:
Example page where additional blocks have been styled by Carousel (this is optional, these blocks can be masonry style if you wish):
http://www.surreyforum.co.uk/xz-articles/category-list
(note, the images are always centred and the buttons use the theam colour)

Example page where I have kept the Masonry style for additional Blocks
http://www.surreyforum.co.uk/xz-articles/editors-picks

Example page where I have used Carousel for the addital block, but the Carosel has not enough images, so the Carosel buttons don't activate (and the images are still centerd)
http://www.surreyforum.co.uk/xz-articles/article-list

I'm looking forward to showing this off in responsive, but wont update the sites until a formal XF release

This week has been busy, so not much went into this version XenZine 1.1.02

Edit: If you have visited those pages before, you may need to ctr-refresh, since I've updated some of the scripts

Last edited:
@Fleur which country are you from. I block a few countries (China, Russia, Czech Republic and a couple of others)

If you are getting a 404, are you on a network that has been used for spamming (XRumer), or are you using a proxy.. if so, don't use the proxy, turn it off and you should be able to register

Last edited:
Hi tenants,

Is your Add-On retina(high-dpi) ready? I think I am gonna buy it soon, I want to use XenZine for my new project. I'm really excited about it and I try to design everything so that it looks stunning on retina displays as well. :D And I think it would be great if the pictures would be retina too.

I do the best I can ;) I still have a small improvement I need to add to the borders of images (to do, but not that high on the list)

I think you might need to ask your users to upload high quality images :D

I'm still working on the next release, the next release so far has the following:

Fixes
  • Fixed a minor bug with the carousel (no horiz padding)
  • Fixed a minor bug with the carousel core script (pagination not always correct for x/y divisions)
Enhancements, Article Tools (admin / mod tools on published articles)
  • Added Functionality, Article Tools: Remove Thread Association (so an admin can remove a discussion from an article)
  • Added Functionality, Article Tools: Create New Associated Thread (so an admin can create a new thread associated to an article if they need to )
  • Added Functionality, Article Tools: Associate To An Existing Thread Thread (so an admin can associate an article to an already existing thread... the thread must be in an article forum (default or one defined by categories)
  • Added Functionality, Article Tools: Modify Publish Date (for admins that want to play around with the publish date of the article)
  • Added Functionality, Article Tools: Delete Published Article (so.. well, so you can delete a published article should you want to... but why did you allow it to be published in the first place :s )
Enhancements, Thread Tools (admin / mod tools on threads)
  • Added an option to convert Threads to Articles within the thread tools. I've done this in such a way that:
  1. The option only displays if the Thread is in an Article Forum (default or defined by categories)
  2. The option only displays if the user has this permissions to convert Threads to Articles
  3. The option does not display if the thread is already associated to an aricle
  4. I have done this using 0 queries overhead to the thread view!!!
The options for Threads to Articles contain the following settings:
  • Use a custom article image (upload an image at the time of conversion)
  • Category Selection (pre-populated as the 1st category for this forum)
  • Article Title (pre-populated with the thread title)
  • Article Summary (pre-populated with a snippet of the thread content)
  • Replace First Post (defualt: true. Once the article has been created from the first post, replace the first post by a "read more" link
  • Create Article as Published ( Ticked by default. Ticking this option converts the thread into a published article. However, if this option is un-ticked, the article will be created as an unpublished article and will remain in the users unpublished list until they submit the article for publishing)
  • Use post_time: (ticked by default. Use the first posts post_time value for the articles publish time (instead of current time))
There is also an option to Convert Article to Thread (just in case you convert a thread to an article by accident)

When converting an Article to Thread / Thread to Article attachments get moved over to the new entity

Additionally I have added options:
  • Hide side bar on Article Page
  • Move Share buttons under Article Summary
I'm currently looking at "default images per category", since this will work hand in hand with the Thread > Article conversions (so you the admin can use the defaults and just tick submit for each thread... )

It should be ready within the next few days

(@peopleThatHaveBoughtThis if you want a pre-release to test, let me know... but you can't currently add images to articles at the point of converting thread->article)

Last edited:
I do the best I can ;) I still have a small improvement I need to add to the borders of images (to do, but not that high on the list)

I think you might need to ask your users to upload high quality images :D
Oh no problem, I will force them. :p As long the high quality images will be displayed without quality loss (unlike the resized Avatars in xenforo), I am happy. :)

The update sounds greats. Good work as always. (y)

Oh I see, the images in the article (the header image) is the Large image size in XenForo (height 192px, width scaled)
This is also used in the article list

The images in the category lists (the small images in the 1 row sections) are like avatars, they are scaled down images (effectively the Small size images in XenForo)... but image quality in the small sections isn't as important as image quality in the Article List / Article Header

@tenants

I agree, the article list and header is more important and it's great news that it's handled that way.

Still it would be great if the images in the category list would be similar. Not only because of retina, it would be also useful if you want bigger sized images there.

could it be using "tags" (for each article), instead of "categories" ?
Imagine a scenario where you have thousands of tags... how then can you easily structure the article list / display a navigation list to find articles.

Just splatting out a thousand tags down the side would make it hard to find certain things, for instances "sci-fi film reviews"
The category list makes it easy to structure the data Film Reviews >> Sci Film Reviews

Obviously, you could just search for Articles, but the Article List + Category Navigation gives the user a useful front end to navigate through (much like a forum-list / thread-list)

Instead of "instead of"... what about additionally

There is no reason tags (or keywords) can not be used to filter the article lists ... but there still needs to be a structure to easily navigate through the articles

@tenants

I agree, the article list and header is more important and it's great news that it's handled that way.

Still it would be great if the images in the category list would be similar. Not only because of retina, it would be also useful if you want bigger sized images there.

Hmm, I think all images could be retina ready (larger images created at the time of image creation), I think it's important to do this early. XenForo does not have this option yet, but I think they should. I will add it to my to do list (and give an ACP option to use high quality retina ready images)

Last edited:
Hmm, I think all image could be retina ready (larger image created at the time of image creation), I think it's important to do this early. XenForo does not have this option yet, but I think they should. I will add it to my to do list (and give an ACP option to use high retina ready images)
That's great, thank you. :)(y)

Top Bottom