XenWord Pro [Deleted]

I've tried to reach you by email. I want logged users to be able to access certain material on my site. This is easy but how could I restrict users of another, yet registered xenforo user group?

I've tried to reach you by email.

Hopefully you were using my gmail account. I didn't see anything today regarding XenWord so I suspect you used something else. It's okay - I see these messages too. I'm just at work 6am-4pm PST :)

I want logged users to be able to access certain material on my site. This is easy but how could I restrict users of another, yet registered xenforo user group?

Are you meaning restrict on the WordPress side?
If yes - restrict using "subscriber" - then map the XF secondary usergroup to subscriber. Feel free to send a PM with more details if you'd like some help.

I'm currently considering the purchase but I still have one question left: Is there some kind of API or so to mass import existing articles from other databases? I'm a professional webdeveloper so I don't mind digging deeper in the code or writing an importscript by myself, but if there's some kind of interface/API already there it would save me some time. :)

Is there some kind of API or so to mass import existing articles from other databases?

Can you clarify for me what you are trying to accomplish? Is the database from a WP install?

I was able to use the WordPress import feature with the bridge active and new threads were created. Is that what you want? This really isn't an API but part of the way the threads are created.

I'm a professional webdeveloper so I don't mind digging deeper in the code or writing an importscript by myself, but if there's some kind of interface/API already there it would save me some time. :)

I'd love to work with you on what you want.

Can you clarify for me what you are trying to accomplish? Is the database from a WP install?

Nope, it's a database from e107 (don't know if that cms is even developed/used anymore) and also forumposts from vBulletin 4.
Basically I want to migrate all my news articles (e107, >10k) and vBulletin news threads (vB4, ~500) to wordpress or rather to xenword. The endresult should be all articles consolidated in wordpress with an associated (comment-) thread in xenforo.
I once wrote an import script to accomplish almost exactly that for vB suite, but as probably know the suite was never really useful. :P So it's no problem for me to adapt to your code.

Mainly the question is: Is there some kind of exposed function (e.g. func xenword_create_post($content,$headline,$create_xenforo_thread,$media)) which I can use?

Another question: Any research how to best SEOfy the wp-post and associated xF-Thread? They both have almost the same headline and, depending on the chosen setting, the same content in the first post, right? Doesn't that potentially harm the ranking because of duplicate content?

Nope, it's a database from e107 (don't know if that cms is even developed/used anymore) and also forumposts from vBulletin 4.

You might want to ask in the installation forum: http://xenforo.com/community/forums/installation-upgrade-and-import-support.23/

So it's no problem for me to adapt to your code.

This is out of the scope of XenWord. My code is for briding WordPress articles and XenForo forums.

Mainly the question is: Is there some kind of exposed function (e.g. func xenword_create_post($content,$headline,$create_xenforo_thread,$media)) which I can use?

When a WordPress article is imported into WordPress then my plugin would create an XF post.

Another question: Any research how to best SEOfy the wp-post and associated xF-Thread? They both have almost the same headline and, depending on the chosen setting, the same content in the first post, right? Doesn't that potentially harm the ranking because of duplicate content?

There are three options for posts created in XenForo: full, partial, or link. I prefer partial because it is meant to match the way the XenForo Resources add-on is done.

Started tinkering with a new widget. It's far from complete. The params for showing the forum by node_id are a bit over my head. I'll work on it more another time. For now the widget returns the forum_view template but states no threads are available.

I have not uploaded 1.0.3.01 yet. It is being used on my network and the demo site. I may release it tomorrow.

Instead of posting "Yes, this works" a video can demonstrate this best.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This is, of course, the means to publish an XF thread into WordPress .... I just haven't added the code to XenWord. For now, I opted to create a widget and show the thread instead of duplicating content.

XenWord 1.0.3.01 is available for download by developers. This contains a bug fix for contributor capabilities, new language files for translations, new widgets, and new custom role code.

I am upgrading to a new version, and I read this in the instructions:
"Rename the current bridge folder on your webserver and upload all files within the upload directory to a
new xenword directory. Do this so that you are not overwriting files."

How so? Do I have to keep my old plugin folder (v. 1.0.1.04) after upgrading and activating the new version (v. 1.0.2.03), or can I just delete it?

How so? Do I have to keep my old plugin folder (v. 1.0.1.04) after upgrading and activating the new version (v. 1.0.2.03), or can I just delete it?

Sorry about my poor explanation. I tend to upgrade XenWord by simply uploading the xenword-number into a new directory based on the zip file. After upload, deactivate the old one and activate the new one. After testing, delete the old files.

Some people love to keep the xenword directory name, without the version number, and so the idea is to not overwrite files because I tend to rename files. In fact, 1.0.3.02 has a file name change.

Spent time adding more comments in the code. The new methods in the class-xenword.php file need examples on using them as an API. I took a step back with a few widgets and want to rethink options to help everyone customize their site.

BTW: @Russ did a fantastic job on an XF community style for XenWord. XF now matches xenword.com. I highly recommend him for your site too.

How can we import Disqus Comments into Xenforo ? I have bought the plugin BTW.

I have disqus on my site but have never worked through how to get them synchronized with the XF thread. Maybe there is a way in xenword-comments.php. Right now the WP comments are written to an XF thread - so there might be a way. I'll think about it - maybe you have an idea or two also.

My idea is actually disabling Disqus completely and using Xenforo comments under the Wordpress posts just like Techpowerup does:

http://www.techpowerup.com/200121/gigabyte-shows-off-a-trio-of-z97-motherboards.html

Also Disqus has Export function. So, once you got the export, it should not be that hard to port those comments into already created topics.

BTW, this plugin will replace Wordpress comments right ? I want to diable both disqus, and wordpress comments. Just Xenforo and maybe facebook comments.

My idea is actually disabling Disqus completely and using Xenforo comments under the Wordpress posts just like Techpowerup does:

http://www.techpowerup.com/200121/gigabyte-shows-off-a-trio-of-z97-motherboards.html

Very nice site.

Also Disqus has Export function. So, once you got the export, it should not be that hard to port those comments into already created topics.

I'd probably install the bridge, link in all the threads with comments, then import the comments from Disqus.

BTW, this plugin will replace Wordpress comments right ? I want to diable both disqus, and wordpress comments. Just Xenforo and maybe facebook comments.

I wanted that originally and found that it can replace (remove them from the WP skin) OR use it with the WP comments. As you can see in the videos, a WP comment will be posted to the XF side and the XF post will show up on the WP post.

It's also possible to use "Comments Evolved" and have Facebook in one tab and WP/XF comments in another tab.

Very nice site.

Indeed. Front page is custom AFAIK.

I'd probably install the bridge, link in all the threads with comments, then import the comments from Disqus.

Can you do that for us? If yes what would be the price. Beceasue we are really going to ditch Disqus and user pure Xenforo for Wordpress comments.

I wanted that originally and found that it can replace (remove them from the WP skin) OR use it with the WP comments. As you can see in the videos, a WP comment will be posted to the XF side and the XF post will show up on the WP post.

I prefer using only Xf comments. No WP at all. Can you do that ? If not, the second is also good, as I have bought the plugin for that purpose. BTW, can you give alink to the video ?

It's also possible to use "Comments Evolved" and have Facebook in one tab and WP/XF comments in another tab.

Talked with my partner. We are going pure xenforo comments. No Facebook. If possible, we would also like to import them into XF :)

Top Bottom