XenWord Pro 2018 [Deleted]

The lack of support here and on the XenWord forum (can't find a support forum unless it's hidden for just customers) is a great advertisement for this add-on.

Yes. I try to be very limited on this site. There are reasons and it is not due to the wonderful XenForo developers but simply because people create accounts here and on Tux Reports with different usernames. The license tag is used on Tux Reports, therefore, I've asked for people to discuss this plugin on that site.

It isn't a perfect situation but with almost 1000 installations (100 new, 900 old) there are days in which it seems like everyone wants to send private messages and demand my immediate attention. The other day, someone sent a message regarding a version almost 100 releases old. It can be very overwhelming for the customer who deserves answers.

To stay positive, whether someone bought 4 years ago or today, we try to help.

I've tried support ticket addons, asking individuals who send PMs or emails to use the site, etc. In the end, it's a balancing act. Messages aren't always seen, people are misunderstood, people get angry.

The biggest challenge is a lack of error messages provided by WordPress or the server (blank pages, 500 errors, etc). This is why I created an installation worksheet which appears to be helping. It needs to be part of the download but I haven't figured out how to do it.

The current XenWord Pro plugin is much better than any previous release; however, if the absolute path is incorrect then all heck will break loose. It's due to using Redux Framework (the xenword.init file) and "telling" the plugin where to find XenForo. Some servers are simply a hot mess. Individuals comfortable with databases, can go in and edit the xenword_options. Others rely on support, which requires that we are provided with tons of access information. This means learning their server, the file organization, the versions, paths, and all of the WordPress plugins. It can take hours to sort through one installation. It can also take only a few minutes.

Let me explain, I made a technical decision to put support for both XenForo 1 and 2 into the same plugin. If someone saves a wrong setting then the plugin will try to load the wrong portion of the addon. Once this information is stored then the options have to be removed from the database. This is exactly why this plugin is not considered gold. I have to find a solution for installations which go wrong due to a mistake by the installer.

I think many people don't understand the technical nature of bringing two distinct software packages together. And that's okay. They are relying on me to figure it out. Sometimes, though, I just don't have enough information.

FWIW, there are people who buy the plugin, install it, and send pleasant messages to say thank you.

Have a good evening.

LPH updated XenWord Pro 2018 with a new update entry:

No more installation lockout errors

It's been two months of trying to figure out how to "allow" the wrong path to be put into the XenWord settings and not have the WordPress area locked out. After a long drive from California to Utah, and lots of laughs with family, I sat down and the code became immediately obvious.

1. The xenword-init now includes conditionals to check if XF is available based on the path. If not, then it returns false. An error message in the XenWord panel now shows.

2. The second important bug was the...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Yes. I try to be very limited on this site. There are reasons and it is not due to the wonderful XenForo developers but simply because people create accounts here and on Tux Reports with different usernames. The license tag is used on Tux Reports, therefore, I've asked for people to discuss this plugin on that site.

It isn't a perfect situation but with almost 1000 installations (100 new, 900 old) there are days in which it seems like everyone wants to send private messages and demand my immediate attention. The other day, someone sent a message regarding a version almost 100 releases old. It can be very overwhelming for the customer who deserves answers.

I've tried support ticket addons, asking individuals who send PMs or emails to use the site, etc. In the end, it's a balancing act. Messages aren't always seen, people are misunderstood, people get angry.

The biggest challenge is a lack of error messages provided by WordPress or the server (blank pages, 500 errors, etc). This is why I created an installation worksheet which appears to be helping. It needs to be part of the download but I haven't figured out how to do it.

The current XenWord Pro plugin is much better than any previous release; however, if the absolute path is incorrect then all heck will break loose. It's due to using Redux Framework (the xenword.init file) and "telling" the plugin where to find XenForo. Some servers are simply a hot mess. Individuals comfortable with databases, can go in and edit the xenword_options. Others rely on support, which requires that we are provided with tons of access information. This means learning their server, the file organization, the versions, paths, and all of the WordPress plugins. It can take hours to sort through one installation. It can also take only a few minutes.

Let me explain, I made a technical decision to put support for both XenForo 1 and 2 into the same plugin. If someone saves a wrong setting then the plugin will try to load the wrong portion of the addon. Once this information is stored then the options have to be removed from the database. This is exactly why this plugin is not considered gold. I have to find a solution for installations which go wrong due to a mistake by the installer.

I think many people don't understand the technical nature of bringing two distinct software packages together. And that's okay. They are relying on me to figure it out. Sometimes, though, I just don't have enough information.

FWIW, there are people who buy the plugin, install it, and send pleasant messages to say thank you.

Have a good evening.

over the years, I have seen lots of requests for WordPress bridge, and I long gave up on that, they often did not work, or WordPress changed, then the bridge would break, if you have found a solution for a solid bridge that won't crack under pressure then that is one thing, however, I somewhat got tired of the damn thing breaking all the time, then having outsource a coder, so I gave up on the idea, and to be honest, I really can not think of a solid reason why I really need this, just to make it easier to log in between XF and Wordpress? I certainly would not allow forum posts from users to port into WordPress, that alone could be asking for low-quality content concerns, if you have solids reasons why a site may need this, then I am open to suggestions, maybe someone else has better usage ideas then myself. I will keep an eye on this and hope it does work out.

over the years, I have seen lots of requests for WordPress bridge, and I long gave up on that, they often did not work, or WordPress changed, then the bridge would break, if you have found a solution for a solid bridge that won't crack under pressure then that is one thing, however, I somewhat got tired of the damn thing breaking all the time, then having outsource a coder, so I gave up on the idea, and to be honest, I really can not think of a solid reason why I really need this, just to make it easier to log in between XF and Wordpress? I certainly would not allow forum posts from users to port into WordPress, that alone could be asking for low-quality content concerns, if you have solids reasons why a site may need this, then I am open to suggestions, maybe someone else has better usage ideas then myself. I will keep an eye on this and hope it does work out.

I happen to agree that bridges break and it's why this code is constantly improved. I started out on another bridge years ago, which broke under WP 3.5. For this bridge, there have been hundreds of releases over the past four years. However, this code is for my site and is provided to others. It's more of a challenge. It isn't perfect. Installation can be a breeze or a pain in the rear. It all depends on the site structure.

With that said, there are almost 1000 sites using this bridge. Some of the sites have millions of users. Some haven't upgraded. It isn't perfect. Gracie and I just spent the past few hours helping someone with an error -- which led to my fixing code -- however his site still failed. It turned out the structure of the WordPress database had been modified to include a "forum_id" which was interfering with XenWord Pro 2018. Once the forum_id was removed then XenWord Pro posted the WordPress post excerpt to XenForo.

In terms of why people use it, each person appears to have unique reasons. Some are tying two sites together. Some are building new sites. Some are coming from the WordPress and adding forums; some are coming from XenForo and adding articles.

screencapture-xenword2018-wp-admin-admin-php-2018-04-03-16_20_46.webp

Have a good evening.
Thanks for the explanation. Is there a support forum on your site? It must be private, since I could only find forums that were announcements only. With no visible forum to post questions, and no responses here, potential customers are left to think there is no support.

I like the idea for bridging XF2 with Wordpress. Can this be used to setup the Wordpress Woocommerce? I am just curious if there will need to be some extra modding to make it work with XF2. If that is the case I think this will be a genius addon

Also if this is works I don't think buddypress would be needed as members/customers can have their profiles on Xenforo 2

Can this post form xenforo to xenword or is it just one way to go? I would to have the threads that are posted on xenforo to show on xenword. Is this possible?

Sorry if this has already been asked but if I install Xenforo on https://forum.example.com/ and Wordpress on https://www.example.com/ will this still work or do Xenforo and Wordpress need to be on the same domain?

You can’t install both on same main domain. One has to be the main domain and other goes on a subdomain.

Worldpress:
www.example.com

XenForo
www.example.com/forums

And yoy basically link both with each other using the home page button in xf and another button in wp to link to the forums.

( 22 ) 2018.06.07 - June 7, 2018
Tested under WordPress 5.0-alpha & XenForo 2.07
Added notification bar and switch to disable after installation

( 21 ) 2018.04.4 - April 4, 2018
Tested under WordPress 5.0-alpha & XenForo 2.04
Added conditional to choose signature or About You in Author Bio
Bug Fix: User Mapping supports multiple secondary groups

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sorry if this comes like a dumb question, but i need to ask.

With the plugin, would I be able to login into XF using Wordpress accounts?

For those wondering about Xenforo 2x and Xenword, I have done the upgrade and have the following bugs which I logged over two weeks ago. (they are yet to be resolved). Note I have not tried yesterday's Xenword release yet (2018.06.07).
  • (major bug) Avatar image missing from author bio on all posts (all avatar images are missing from all post articles on my wordpress installation. I've tried a lot of troubleshooting here but I'm unable to find a workaround.)
  • Author not correct in Xenforo Thread (the author you select for the post is not showing when the thread is created in xenforo, it selects the account you post the post with.)
  • Excerpt on Xenforo not properly showing (if you have an image at the top of the post, the excerpt doesn't show correctly with the amount of characters you set.)
  • Default board is no longer selected (When you post a new post, the default board you set to have a thread automatically created on is not being selected, you have to select it manually every single time.)

Sorry if this comes like a dumb question, but i need to ask.

With the plugin, would I be able to login into XF using Wordpress accounts?
The XenForo login is the primary one, which gets copied over to the WP database. XenForo credentials are used for logging in and the WP one wouldn't work (for instance, if your non-connected account from WP has a different password, it won't work in XF even with the plugin activated — accounts need to be synced).

Although if a user registers on XenForo and the details are then put into WP, they can log into WP using their XenForo credentials (technically still WP credentials, but they'd be the same. If one were to change their password through WP with the plugin deactivated, the new password wouldn't work on XF).

To summarize, the idea is the XF is the primary login always with this plugin. As for altering details in WP: it gets redirected to XF with the plugin activated, so everything is modified through the forum installation for users.

For those wondering about Xenforo 2x and Xenword, I have done the upgrade and have the following bugs which I logged over two weeks ago. (they are yet to be resolved). Note I have not tried yesterday's Xenword release yet (2018.06.07).
  • (major bug) Avatar image missing from author bio on all posts (all avatar images are missing from all post articles on my wordpress installation. I've tried a lot of troubleshooting here but I'm unable to find a workaround.)
  • Author not correct in Xenforo Thread (the author you select for the post is not showing when the thread is created in xenforo, it selects the account you post the post with.)
  • Excerpt on Xenforo not properly showing (if you have an image at the top of the post, the excerpt doesn't show correctly with the amount of characters you set.)
  • Default board is no longer selected (When you post a new post, the default board you set to have a thread automatically created on is not being selected, you have to select it manually every single time.)

I spent two weeks looking over code and trying to track things down. As far as I can tell, these are not bugs. Instead, the xenword_options table from XenForo 1 is set and should be reset to XenForo 2. This can be done by removing xenword_options in the WordPress database--> wp_options table --> xenword_options.

In terms of RC3.

The work is mainly CSS, reworking the notification bar, and the README file, The backend order for installation has been rearranged as seen in the attached photo.

Release 3 is still on the development environment. I'm trying different themes.

Attachments

• XenWord Pro README File.webp
    XenWord Pro README File.webp
    82.3 KB · Views: 8

Notification bar, New "Install settings" grouping, and CSS cleanup

( 23 ) 2018.06.10 - June 10, 2018
Rearrange the order of ini for backend; created "installation settings" group
Touch up of the faqs.txt by specifying virtual server must be the same.
Rearrange the readme.txt.
Change CSS for notification bar to use position:sticky instead of position:fixed
Change CSS for Login Widget -- margin-bottom: 5em;
Bug Fix: Wrong hook for notification bar
Bug Fix: Community statistics widget default title

XenWord Pro 2018 Release Candidate 4

This is it. We are nearing the finish line. Please test this one heavily.

( 24 ) 2018.06.12 - June 12, 2018
New Alignment instruction page in XenWord Settings Panel
Created Poll widget
Split the init file
Added WP Blog Entries in Community Statistics
Added ResourceItem Count in Community Statistics

At this point, all of the showstoppers have been addressed. The new layout for the backend should walk everyone through the installation process. The new documentation for the install is now...

I spent two weeks looking over code and trying to track things down. As far as I can tell, these are not bugs. Instead, the xenword_options table from XenForo 1 is set and should be reset to XenForo 2. This can be done by removing xenword_options in the WordPress database--> wp_options table --> xenword_options.

(major bug) Avatar image missing from author bio on all posts (all avatar images are missing from all post articles on my wordpress installation. I've tried a lot of troubleshooting here but I'm unable to find a workaround.)

I deleted that row and as a result I had to turn on Xenword again and re-configure everything.

Before I set the absolute path and reenabled xenword, the avatar image appeared for within posts in the bio, but as soon as I turned it on, it again disappeared and no avatars in the author bio's are showing. I have made sure the options in Xenword are set correctly so this is still not working.

Author not correct in Xenforo Thread (the author you select for the post is not showing when the thread is created in xenforo, it selects the account you post the post with.)

This issue is still here, the author I select for the post is not the author in xenforo when the thread is created, it makes me the author, the person who posted it in wordpress.

Excerpt on Xenforo not properly showing (if you have an image at the top of the post, the excerpt doesn't show correctly with the amount of characters you set.)
This problem is still here and only occurring when an image is inserted above the text in the post. So for example, I have the excerpt set to 500, yet when an image is there, only about 330 will show. When no image, 487 shows.

Default board is no longer selected (When you post a new post, the default board you set to have a thread automatically created on is not being selected, you have to select it manually every single time.)
This is now resolved.

(We don't need to discuss this here on this thread, I'm happy to continue sorting this through the official bug report threads on your site tux as we are just duplicating our information.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom