XenWord Pro [Deleted]

This looks very tempting indeed and could be a boon to my development efforts at the moment. Let me ask a couple of questions:

1. Step 9 in the installation overview concerns me a bit:

Go to /wp-admin -> Configuration page. Match forums to categories.

Is this required? I'm not sure I see a need to match xen forums to WP categories, since these are two different beasts on my installation.

On my installation, what we're doing is creating a "front page" with WP. That front page consists of selected works that were originally posted as xen threads. So we're copying the work from the first post of the xen thread and creating a new post in WP, which is then featured as the main page of the site.

2. What we'd love to be able to do is connect the comments from xen to that post that we create in WP. Is this possible?

Thanks.

@jauburn - There is a thread_id field added to the WordPress database which holds the key to what you want. You may change the thread_id manually via phpmyadmin or command line. This thread_id ties the WP post, thread, and comments to each other.

This would all require connections manually being done but is possible.

How can I manually assign a wordpress post to a Xenforo post?

Find the XF thread id from the browser bar
Go to wp_posts
Find the WordPress post with the publish post_status
Edit the post and add the XF thread id to the thread_id column
Save and test

XenWord 1.0.0.10 Beta available for download

Three important changes with this release:
  • New WordPress User permissions based on XenForo Secondary Group
  • New Admin panel page for enabling WordPress Users Panel
  • New Widget for diagnostics
Anyone who currently owns the script is able to log into the site (www.xenword.com) and should have access to the beta. This beta has been tested on a local MAMP server as well as a Digital Ocean Apache server - single user. Multisite has NOT been tested.

If you choose to test this version then please let me know the results.

Find the XF thread id from the browser bar
Go to wp_posts
Find the WordPress post with the publish post_status
Edit the post and add the XF thread id to the thread_id column
Save and test

Awesome! So easy :) Thanks!

Oh, and another thing. I want to add 1 user to Wordpress (author access in WP, NOT full admin access) so he can publish posts in WP. How do I do this in the database?

Awesome! So easy :) Thanks!

Great. I want to be able to change the function which shows the thread_id into the ability to change the thread_id at that point.

Oh, and another thing. I want to add 1 user to Wordpress (author access in WP, NOT full admin access) so he can publish posts in WP. How do I do this in the database?

Download the 1.0.0.10 beta and install. Go to the path/to/xenforo/admin.php, create a WordPress Author usergroup. Find the user you want to have author permission and assign that user the secondary usergroup you just created. Next, go to XenWord settings and map the "WordPress Author" to Author, save. Now the XenForo user has permissions to post to the WordPress blog.

Cool, eh?

As an aside, if you want someone to post but want to verify their work before it goes live then create a WordPress Contributor in XenForo and map it to Contributor...

Hopefully that makes sense.

Screen Shot 2014-02-22 at 4.22.05 PM.webp

Multisite Configuration with XenWord 1.0.0.10

Tested XenWord 1.0.0.10 on two different multisite configurations: (1) a server with Apache and PHP 5.4 as well as switched to PHP 5.5.3 and (2) an nginx server (1.4.5) and PHP 5.5.3 Ubuntu.

The great news is that the multisite-config file is no longer necessary. This removes one more level of user preparation before plugin activation. The script is now running on XenWord.com.

Great. I want to be able to change the function which shows the thread_id into the ability to change the thread_id at that point.

Download the 1.0.0.10 beta and install. Go to the path/to/xenforo/admin.php, create a WordPress Author usergroup. Find the user you want to have author permission and assign that user the secondary usergroup you just created. Next, go to XenWord settings and map the "WordPress Author" to Author, save. Now the XenForo user has permissions to post to the WordPress blog.

Cool, eh?

As an aside, if you want someone to post but want to verify their work before it goes live then create a WordPress Contributor in XenForo and map it to Contributor...

Hopefully that makes sense.

View attachment 67884

That is very cool indeed =) Will have to test this today :)

By the way, a more user friendly way for cross posting would be (as an alternative to the automatic category setup), to have a "Do you want to cross post this post to the forum? Please select the forum you wish to cross post too" box on each new post page. Because sometimes you make a post in a section that you do not normally want to cross post.

That is very cool indeed =) Will have to test this today :)

By the way, a more user friendly way for cross posting would be (as an alternative to the automatic category setup), to have a "Do you want to cross post this post to the forum? Please select the forum you wish to cross post too" box on each new post page. Because sometimes you make a post in a section that you do not normally want to cross post.

Yes. I've pondered that method. First things first ... 1.0.0.10 is just not ready for a production site. The post meta data are not available for anyone not logged into the system. This means the_author, author bio, avatars, etc are not working properly. This is due to the new code for permissions.

This is great - I will look at this for sure.

I'm not going to lie - I am feeling kinda Stung by WP Bridges - I bought 2 on here now, in excess of $70 for the pair. Neither lived up to expectation or were developed upon the stated "Upcoming features" or supported. I can't help but think some sort of "Developer" rating system should be implemented here to give buyers confidence to buy from "Trusted Developers" and avoid those who develop and run. The amount of cash I've wasted must be in excess of $300 now.

Not tarring you with the same brush, I'm just a little apprehensive.

Are you in this for the long haul?

PS. Is it possible to create forum threads for existing Wordpress posts prior to the install of this mod?

Last edited:
This is great - I will look at this for sure.

Thank you.

I bought 2 on here now, in excess of $70 for the pair.

My policy is very simple. If you own one of the bridges already then we simply install this one on the condition that you provide feedback for future versions. If things work then you are free to donate for development of future releases. If interested then PM me your site URL and email information.

Are you in this for the long haul?

My intention was never to have this bridge. I'm not a developer. Like you, I was hoping a developer would come along and write a great product. Xfrocks is an excellent developer and I support his product 100% but I needed something now.

Regarding this bridge, this product is an amalgam of so much work from other people, however, the latest versions are becoming more and more my own (with help from many people now).

PS. Is it possible to create forum threads for existing Wordpress posts prior to the install of this mod?

Yes, I describe the process in this post.

Hi

Yes, that widget needs work. Actually, I've ripped apart the plugin and am trying to piece it back together using something besides get_userdata pluggable. Currently the get_userdata is the key to assigning roles to the XF secondary usergroup. For the new code, the latest var_dump shows the role is correctly assigned but - sadly - the role is not being updated in the database. Once get_userdata is no longer used then I can clean up all types of earlier problems ... ( I hope ... Imagine being able to use WP users, membership plugins, and more ).
Do you have some news about this widget? I need it but I don't want to use it if it has issues

Do you have some news about this widget? I need it but I don't want to use it if it has issues
I also tried to create an account on your forum using Facebook but I couldn't:
G
iven URL is not allowed by the Application configuration.: One or more of the given URLs is not allowed by the App's settings. It must match the Website URL or Canvas URL, or the domain must be a subdomain of one of the App's domains.

I also tried to create an account on your forum using Facebook but I couldn't:
G

Ugh. Thank you for letting me know. I'll tinker with it tonight. The "Test Facebook Integration" is just hanging. I'll post when I believe it is fixed.

I have not worked on the widgets. The permission changes are huge in version 1.0.0.10 and I'm not satisfied with the way things are working. Two of the functions are just kludges and need to be done properly. It's consuming my time.

Ugh. Thank you for letting me know. I'll tinker with it tonight. The "Test Facebook Integration" is just hanging. I'll post when I believe it is fixed.

@Claudio OK. Fixed the connection. It was my fault for not updating the URL in the Facebook App.

Thank you, I had setup URL Portions which is why it wasn't showing up. But it is working now!

Next question, @LPH you and I had briefly touched on this, and perhaps there was a misunderstanding or my explanation was incorrect.

I have a site located at: www.mainsite.com, the forum is setup at www.mainsite.com/community

When all is said and done I'll be running 4 sites all at different domains. They do however all share hosting. I got the plugin setup on the second site working, once I log into the second site though it tosses me out and starts to give me errors when I try to log in. I assume this is because of the cookie, has anyone successfully linked 2 or more sites together using this resource?

Top Bottom