XenRio stream management... XenAtendo changes?

Jaxel

I'm currently working on an addon that works with Twitch.TV. Basically it periodically lists live streams similar to how EventHubs does it here: http://www.eventhubs.com/streams/. This will be a PREMIUM mod ($$), as its use would be limited to specific audiences.

Now naturally I already have something like this in XenAtendo. However, XenAtendo does not check to see if a stream is live; instead it just puts a stream up when the event is supposed to go live (doesn't check if its actually live).

When XenRio comes out, I am thinking of removing the built in streaming feature in XenAtendo. The original idea of streams in XenAtendo had multiple purposes:
  • Keeps people on your site, instead of going to twitch.tv...
  • Embeds the stream directly to the top of the event page...
  • Displays live streams on XenPorta...
However, with it came a few problems. It would embed the streams in the thread and display the streams on the portal even if the stream isn't live. Because of this, it takes extra care on administrators to make sure people aren't abusing the system in order to promote their stream. People would create events with erroneous event times to keep their stream listed on your portal.

In addition to this, research has told me that people dont actually like embedding the stream directly to the top of the event page. Sometimes they want to just read the thread, but everytime they change pages on the thread, twitch reloads and blasts them with advertisements. Another issue was that only one stream could be linked to each event thread and sometimes events have multiple streams.

So I'm branching this stuff off into a different mod; a mod that I will be charging for and giving proper support for. I want to gauge how you guys would feel about me removing the streaming functions from XenAtendo. If I did not remove the streaming features from XenAtendo, then people who use both mods could have issues with user confusion.

I want to gauge how you guys would feel about me removing the streaming functions from XenAtendo.

I'm comfortable with it, as I don't use the streaming functionality. Looked into it, but couldn't realise a fit for my community. Making it a fully supported seperate add-on is a sound idea IMHO.

I'm currently working on an addon that works with Twitch.TV. Basically it periodically lists live streams similar to how EventHubs does it here: http://www.eventhubs.com/streams/. This will be a PREMIUM mod ($$), as its use would be limited to specific audiences.

Now naturally I already have something like this in XenAtendo. However, XenAtendo does not check to see if a stream is live; instead it just puts a stream up when the event is supposed to go live (doesn't check if its actually live).

When XenRio comes out, I am thinking of removing the built in streaming feature in XenAtendo. The original idea of streams in XenAtendo had multiple purposes:
  • Keeps people on your site, instead of going to twitch.tv...
  • Embeds the stream directly to the top of the event page...
  • Displays live streams on XenPorta...
However, with it came a few problems. It would embed the streams in the thread and display the streams on the portal even if the stream isn't live. Because of this, it takes extra care on administrators to make sure people aren't abusing the system in order to promote their stream. People would create events with erroneous event times to keep their stream listed on your portal.

In addition to this, research has told me that people dont actually like embedding the stream directly to the top of the event page. Sometimes they want to just read the thread, but everytime they change pages on the thread, twitch reloads and blasts them with advertisements. Another issue was that only one stream could be linked to each event thread and sometimes events have multiple streams.

So I'm branching this stuff off into a different mod; a mod that I will be charging for and giving proper support for. I want to gauge how you guys would feel about me removing the streaming functions from XenAtendo. If I did not remove the streaming features from XenAtendo, then people who use both mods could have issues with user confusion.
I personally LOVE it how it is. It was one of the key factors of your system that drew me in. Regardless, I would likely support this new add-on of yours. Your add-ons are always beneficial for our forum as well due to obvious reasons; tournaments, etc.

I personally LOVE it how it is. It was one of the key factors of your system that drew me in. Regardless, I would likely support this new add-on of yours. Your add-ons are always beneficial for our forum as well due to obvious reasons; tournaments, etc.
One of the options I plan on putting in XenRio is not only the ability to add channels, but also to add games. So you will have choices...
  • List only live streams from channels in the defined channels list
  • List only live streams playing games in the defined games list
  • List only live streams from channels in the defined channels list that are playing games in the defined games list
With such a feature, I think the stream linking to XenAtendo would become irrelevant. You could simply set up XenRio with Mortal Kombat 9 (and all other MK games), and then leave it be. It will automatically list channels that are streaming Mortal Kombat games. Naturally, you can continue to use the Upcoming Events block with XenAtendo so tournaments are still listed on your front page. But now there will be two separate blocks: one for tournament info, and one for live streams. (rather than mixing the two together)

One of the options I plan on putting in XenRio is not only the ability to add channels, but also to add games. So you will have choices...
  • List only live streams from channels in the defined channels list
  • List only live streams playing games in the defined games list
  • List only live streams from channels in the defined channels list that are playing games in the defined games list
With such a feature, I think the stream linking to XenAtendo would become irrelevant. You could simply set up XenRio with Mortal Kombat 9 (and all other MK games), and then leave it be. It will automatically list channels that are streaming Mortal Kombat games. Naturally, you can continue to use the Upcoming Events block with XenAtendo so tournaments are still listed on your front page. But now there will be two separate blocks: one for tournament info, and one for live streams. (rather than mixing the two together)

You have my attention and full support. This already sounds much improved. I just love the stream being embedded above the map in threads... it looks very pro.

Also, when you can, check your PM's on TYM. I had a question about our character icons/forums.

You have my attention and full support. This already sounds much improved. I just love the stream being embedded above the map in threads... it looks very pro.
Well then I think you're the ONLY person who likes the stream being above the map.

While it's not the same as what you're planning we have something like this in vB4 currently which I am working on porting to XF.

Main page (Lists all streams online and offline): http://halocommunity.com/forums/streams.php
Stream page (users stream and chat embedded): http://halocommunity.com/forums/streams.php?ustream=2286

When a stream goes live or goes offline we print a message in the chatbox like so:
s2iK4

XenAtendo and XenRio are two completely different resources. Please do not remove streaming capability from XenAtendo. regards

I am looking forward to release of XenRio...

XenAtendo and XenRio are two completely different resources. Please do not remove streaming capability from XenAtendo. regards

I am looking forward to release of XenRio...

It would be nice to be able to link the two, ergo; an event that has a stream would take you or have a link to XenRio.

Will definitely buy this one Jaxel. Have a big need for it.

Would love to see some of the features like http://manaflask.com/en/streams with currently online and total streams, online streams listed before offline streams and stream listing order based on current amount of viewers.

Top Bottom