1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XenForo's DateTime

Discussion in 'XenForo Development Discussions' started by James, Oct 21, 2011.

1. James

James Well-Known Member

I'm creating an add-on that adds a date & time into the database from a date input.

The HTML:
    HTML:
    <input type="text" data-orig-type="date" name="new_post_date" value="{xen:datetime $serverTime, 'Y-m-d'" class="textCtrl date">

This gives me a date in the format YYYY-MM-DD and uses XenForo's datepicker.

The question: Is it possible to merge a specific date and time into one field in XenForo? Or am I going to have to create two separate fields and concatenate them in my controller?
    At the minute, my add-on adds the correct date, but the time is always 12:00am.

2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Well-Known Member

Well, MySQL does have a DATETIME column type, but you probably would be better off converting it to a unix timestamp and storing it as an INT(10) column.

Unless there's a reason that's not an option for your addon?

3. James

James Well-Known Member

I'm fetching it as a XenForo_Input::DATE_TIME. I think XenForo automatically converts it to a unix timestamp, so it might just be a case of fetching a separate time input and concatenating them... I'll look into it. Here is (basically) my code:

PHP:
    $input $this->_input->filter(array(

'thread_id'=> XenForo_Input::UINT,

'changed_username'=> XenForo_Input::STRING,

'new_post_date'=> XenForo_Input::DATE_TIME,
    ));

// some helper and model grabbing

$threadWriter XenForo_DataWriter::create('XenForo_DataWriter_Discussion_Thread');
    $threadWriter->setExistingData($thread['thread_id']);
    $threadWriter->set('user_id'$newUser['user_id']);
    $threadWriter->set('username'$input['changed_username']);
    $threadWriter->set('post_date'$input['new_post_date']);
    $threadWriter->save();
    I guess I need to filter a new_post_time, add it to new_post_date and then set the new value.

Agree?

4. digitalpoint

I took a peek at the XenForo_Input class, and from first glance it looks like DATE_TIME can work either way... if it's an int, it will treat it as a timestamp, if it's not an int, then it looks like it initiates the DateTime class and uses that to convert the input to a unix timestamp. So either way, you are going to end up with a time stamp regardless of how you pass the data to the Input class. So as long as your input is something that is a valid date/time format according to PHP, it should be fine...

http://www.php.net/manual/en/datetime.formats.time.php
    http://www.php.net/manual/en/datetime.formats.date.php

Just note that you will end up with a unix timestamp regardless of how it's being input.

James likes this.
  5. James

James Well-Known Member

How would I convert a date and time string (separate) into one unix timestamp? Example:
    $date = '2011-10-23';
    $time = '15:59';

$unixTimestamp = someFunctionToMergeAndCreateTimestamp($date, $time);

(P.S: this seems really, really obvious, so don't shoot me down for having a moment of madness! not that the PHP.net site helped...)

6. infis

infis Well-Known Member

PHP:
    $date_elements explode('-'$date);
    $time_elements explode(':'$time);
    $unixTimestamp mktime($time_elements[0], $time_elements[1], 0$date_elements[1], $date_elements[2], $date_elements[0]);

7. James

James Well-Known Member

OK so I've figured out they're both returned as timestamps when they're submitted (XenForo_Input::DATE_TIME must automatically convert them to timestamps), and I wasn't sure how to add a date timestamp and a time timestamp so I just converted them to XenForo_Input::STRING and then exploded and mktime()'d them.

8. digitalpoint

I haven't tried it, but I would suspect you can just pass a compound format as a DAT_TIME input without needing to convert it to a timestamp first yourself...

http://www.php.net/manual/en/datetime.formats.compound.php

To answer your question on the easiest way to convert a separate time/date to a timestamp, probably just do this (object oriented style):

PHP:
    $dateTime = new DateTime("$date $time");
    $unixTimestamp dateTime->format('U');
    If you want to do it procedurally, something like this (no need to explode stuff):

PHP:
    $unixTimestamp strtotime("$date $time");

infis likes this.
  9. infis

infis Well-Known Member

Yes. It is really possible to use a class for time obtaining in a format unixtimestamp. But it will be slightly more slowly, than at usage explode and mktime functions.
    # cat test.php
    PHP:
    <?php
    $count 
    1000000;

$date '2011-10-23';
    $time '15:59';

$startTime microtime(true);
    for (
    $i 0$i $count$i++)
    {

$date_elements explode('-'$date);

$time_elements explode(':'$time);

$unixTimestamp mktime($time_elements[0], $time_elements[1], 0$date_elements[1], $date_elements[2], $date_elements[0]);
    }
    $endTime microtime(true);
    printf("Explode and mktime function: %.4f seconds\n"$endTime $startTime);

for (
    $i 0$i $count$i++)
    {

$dateTime = new DateTime("$date $time");

$unixTimestamp $dateTime->format('U');
    }
    printf("DateTime class: %.4f seconds\n"$endTime $startTime);

for (
    $i 0$i $count$i++)
    {

$unixTimestamp strtotime("$date $time");
    }
    printf("Strtotime: %.4f seconds\n"$endTime $startTime);
    ?>
    # php test.php
    Code:
    Explode and mktime function: 23.7755 seconds
    DateTime class: 26.4913 seconds
    Strtotime: 22.6474 seconds
    And strtotime function faster both variants.

KiF and Fuhrmann like this.