XenForo_Phrase class, how to use it?

Garani

I have searched and read about, but couldn't find much on the class and frankly I didn't understood yet what it is for.

I have a need to change phrases printed depending on errors/variable contents. What you CANNOT do in the templates is to use avariable in the {xen:phrase} area.

So I startet to look for a way to load up the phrase in PHP and then send it the template just to be printed, but I don't know if the class XenForo_Phrase is what I actually need.

Any heads up on the matter?

It's likely you're going need to use conditionals to print out your varying errors. XenForo_Phrase is the same as what's used in the templates, like:
PHP:
$var = new XenForo_Phrase('hello_there'); // returns 'Hello there'
What you could do is have a conditional block in the code, and just assign $errorMessage to whatever phrase you need and pass that to the template.

Have the conditionals in the PHP code is a given. Having the conditionals in the template is something I'd rather prefere not to do. I can update PHP code and revisions with new codes, while templates are not in any kind of revision control, which is a pain, but I understand why it is that way.

Anyhow, for those who will in the future read this thread, here's how to use XenForo_Phrase:

PHP:
$var = new XenForo_Phrase('phrase_code'); // returns the object of the phrase
$viewParams = array (
    'var' => $var,
);
return $this->responseView('add_on_ViewPublic_method', 'template_name', $viewParams);

In the template_name you have to insert the code:
HTML:
{$var}

or the {xen:raw} command.

while templates are not in any kind of revision control, which is a pain, but I understand why it is that way.

XF can save phrases,templates,options,etc.. also as files;)
The xf datawriters handle this, BUT they're limited to xenforo stuff.

that's why i had to change them
e.g.
PHP:
    class Ragtek_DeveloperTools_DataWriter_Template extends
        XFCP_Ragtek_DeveloperTools_DataWriter_Template
    {
        protected function _getDevOutputDir()
        {
            $config = XenForo_Application::get('config');

if ($this->get('style_id') == 0 && $this->get('addon_id') == $config->development->default_addon) {

return $this->getOption(self::OPTION_DEV_OUTPUT_DIR);
            }
            else
            {
                return '';
            }
        }
    }

// model

class Ragtek_DeveloperTools_Model_Template extends XFCP_Ragtek_DeveloperTools_Model_Template
    {

public function getTemplateDevelopmentDirectory()
        {

$config = XenForo_Application::get('config');
            if (!$config->debug || !$config->development->default_addon) {
                return '';
            }

return XenForo_Application::getInstance()->getRootDir()
                  . '/' . $config->development->directory . '/file_output/templates';
        }
    }

now all the templates from my "default add-on" configured in the config.php will be saved as files if debugmode is enabled.
you'll see the same behaviour with the phrases, options, styleproperties, admintemplates, emailtemplates,....

That's it!
Now you can use git/svn/whatever for version control

If you work with some other developers, you can use this files and build an small importer, which imports all new phrases,templates,etc... into the system:)

Hope this helps:)

Attachments

• files.webp
    files.webp
    143.1 KB · Views: 9
I am picking up this thread once more. What if you actually need the phrase IN the PHP code.

Well, you can "render" it:

PHP:
$renderedText = $var->render(true); // reports back the translated text for the user OR the phrase_code if not found

That's it, you can now use it in your PHP code.

I am picking up this thread once more. What if you actually need the phrase IN the PHP code.

Well, you can "render" it:

PHP:
$renderedText = $var->render(true); // reports back the translated text for the user OR the phrase_code if not found

That's it, you can now use it in your PHP code.
$foo = new XenForo_Phrase('whateve');
is enought because of the _toString method in xenforo_phrase;)

PHP:
    public function __toString()
    {
        return $this->render();
    }

Top Bottom