XenForo optimised VPS environment.

Shamil

Hello,

I require 5 volunteers to test out shared-hosted XenForo hosting, and 3 volunteers to test out a XenForo-optimised VPS environment.

If you are interested, would you mind posting a ticket here.

The VPS environment may run Zend Server, to provide additional backing support with Page Caching etc.

The shared hosting, might just have a little surprise, based on my testing of Apache + Varnish Cache and a little Memcache support.

Good Luck i like the idea of an XF optimized VPS, and might be interested in helping test things. But im not to clear on what you are looking for specifically?

Good Luck i like the idea of an XF optimized VPS, and might be interested in helping test things. But im not to clear on what you are looking for specifically?

Hi, basically, we're looking for a few people to test out the environment, check the stability of the servers, maybe ask a few community members to check it. You might even want to try to import a database backup and see how XenForo is working with the data on the VPS/shared server.

The optimised VPS is something I've been working on for the past few months, looking at making Apache and/or LiteSpeed work with Varnish or its internal cache. Ideally, the clients won't want to use cPanel. If they don't we'd be switching directly to MySQL 5.5 OR Percona Server, for high-traffic clients, with LiteSpeed Cache/Apache-Varnish.

I can't edit my first post, however, I should mention that I am primarily aiming to offer XenForo optimised environments from $20 per month. (cPanel additionally for $15). This will include LiteSpeed Web Server. Alternatively, for $15 per month, I will be able to offer Apache + Varnish.

So far, the LiteSeed (+ internal cache) is working very well.

You don't test stability by having 5 or 50 users using it. tbh.

I know. This is a small case scenario. I could use ab to stress it. I am open for anyone to do anything with it, to have a look at the server.

root@server1 [~]# /usr/local/apache/bin/ab -n 5000 -c 1000 http://xftest.radonsystems.net/
This is ApacheBench, Version 2.3 <$Revision: 655654 $>
Copyright 1996 Adam Twiss, Zeus Technology Ltd, http://www.zeustech.net/
Licensed to The Apache Software Foundation, http://www.apache.org/

Benchmarking xftest.radonsystems.net (be patient)
Completed 500 requests
Completed 1000 requests
Completed 1500 requests
Completed 2000 requests
Completed 2500 requests
Completed 3000 requests
Completed 3500 requests
Completed 4000 requests
Completed 4500 requests
Completed 5000 requests
Finished 5000 requests

Server Software: LiteSpeed
Server Hostname: xftest.radonsystems.net
Server Port: 80

Document Path: /
Document Length: 15337 bytes

Concurrency Level: 1000
Time taken for tests: 3.108 seconds
Complete requests: 5000
Failed requests: 0
Write errors: 0
Total transferred: 78401493 bytes
HTML transferred: 76741509 bytes
Requests per second: 1608.76 [#/sec] (mean)
Time per request: 621.597 [ms] (mean)
Time per request: 0.622 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent requests)
Transfer rate: 24634.61 [Kbytes/sec] received

Connection Times (ms)
min mean[+/-sd] median max
Connect: 0 120 577.1 0 3013
Processing: 0 210 533.3 54 3038
Waiting: 0 207 529.7 53 2985
Total: 1 330 765.1 57 3082

Percentage of the requests served within a certain time (ms)
50% 57
66% 76
75% 93
80% 115
90% 1255
95% 2735
98% 3040
99% 3056
100% 3082 (longest request)
root@server1 [~]#

What kind of hard drive is in there, and which cpu?
If you start with sata2, and xeon, you should be fine for a few years, stability wise.
Depending on where it is hosted, and how the data center is .. going down shouldn't even be an option.

My problem with a lot of 'optimized hosting' is that it means every little update is being applied, optimized, and tweaked .. requiring more than needed reboots, refreshes, and server moves ..

Rather than a stable environment that goes through a incremental -without reboot- update cycle and one of bigger aptitude.

Don't fix what isn't broken, kinda applies to hosting, in my opinion.

What you could do perhaps is to fill it up with feeds and cross advertise the boards, and see where the bottleneck is. See how a slowed down account affects others, etc.

What kind of hard drive is in there, and which cpu?
If you start with sata2, and xeon, you should be fine for a few years, stability wise.
Depending on where it is hosted, and how the data center is .. going down shouldn't even be an option.

My problem with a lot of 'optimized hosting' is that it means every little update is being applied, optimized, and tweaked .. requiring more than needed reboots, refreshes, and server moves ..

Rather than a stable environment that goes through a incremental -without reboot- update cycle and one of bigger aptitude.

Don't fix what isn't broken, kinda applies to hosting, in my opinion.

What you could do perhaps is to fill it up with feeds and cross advertise the boards, and see where the bottleneck is. See how a slowed down account affects others, etc.

This is a simple VPS, with MySQL 5.5, LiteSpeed (+ Internal Cache). CPU is an i7-860.

Hard Drive: 1TB SATA in RAID-10 config. The servers to be hosting the many VPS will use 10K velo. 300GB Disks. I'll begin to fill it up with all I've got.

With the optimised environment, along with the above, the server is continuously scrutinised and monitored for bottlenecks. One could literally call it, an overhyped high-end system, though, you know marketing.

That will go just fine, especially in small groups. That cpu shouldn't give too much problems.

You've seem to thought it through, looking forward hearing from the testers.

I should add, that whilst be continuously evaluate updates and patches and tweaks, we don't apply then on such a very frequent basis, that would require downtime to be occurring on a monthly basis. Every month, a quick audit is done, then we look at the feasibility of applying patches etc. Is the performance gain worth it? In most cases, no. However, things such as PHP updates and MySQL/Percona updates take a certain priority, as well as Operating System and cPanel [ugh] updates.

Looking good :)

What OS did you opt for in the end?

Just a suggestion: Fill the node, and write a small shell script to do a stress test accross all accounts at the same time, start with something low - 5k per VPS and work your way up to see how it handles. Depending on your loading you should be able to get a good 8-10 accounts on that box. If/when you can afford it, I highly recommend dual quad xeons. We got a couple of dual quads w/ 64GB RAM and SAS drives setup in Maidenhead recently and they are beastly! Highly recommended!

Just running a server load and i'm getting some interesting loads - Current load: 0.00, Max: 0.22, Avg: 0.03

Looking good :)

What OS did you opt for in the end?

Just a suggestion: Fill the node, and write a small shell script to do a stress test accross all accounts at the same time, start with something low - 5k per VPS and work your way up to see how it handles. Depending on your loading you should be able to get a good 8-10 accounts on that box. If/when you can afford it, I highly recommend dual quad xeons. We got a couple of dual quads w/ 64GB RAM and SAS drives setup in Maidenhead recently and they are beastly! Highly recommended!

Hi Rick,

We've opted for the standard CentOS x64 (as standard across all VPS containers).

Let me try to do that :) I love the Maidenhead facility!

My next step is the dual quad Xeons - I've actually ordered the components for the server. Should arrive this week, so I can fit it together, test, then ship it off to the Datacenter.

Hi David,

What load test(s) were you running?

Noticed the difference when you switched to apache this is what load it goes to and from.

LiteSpeed --> Current load: 0.00, Max: 0.22, Avg: 0.03
Apache --> Current load: 0.00, Max: 0.57, Avg: 0.28

Noticed the difference when you switched to apache this is what load it goes to and from.

LiteSpeed --> Current load: 0.00, Max: 0.22, Avg: 0.03
Apache --> Current load: 0.00, Max: 0.57, Avg: 0.28

I forgot to say that I'm recompiling Apache (and LiteSpeed). Still aiming for < 20 mins for completion.

Top Bottom