1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot Reproduce XenForo functionality when tethering iPhone

Discussion in 'Resolved Bug Reports' started by Darfuria, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Darfuria

Darfuria Active Member

Due to moving house recently, I set up the tethering plan on my iPhone contract so that I wasn't without an Internet connection for a few days. I'm running XenForo on a forum I administrate, and it has been completely unusable when tethering with the iPhone.

It seems that the Javascript simply doesn't load/run when using this connection, as the various overlays display as if Javascript is disabled.

The most annoying thing, though, is that I am unable to quote messages or post messages. Quoted messages do not load in the textarea, and when posting a message, I just get the error "Please enter a valid message."

Javascript is functional on other websites when tethering with the iPhone, and there are no errors in the error console in Firefox...

Bah! Of course, stupidly I came to post this here, but of course the XenForo forum is using the XenForo software, so I get the same error! *goes to copy and paste on iPhone*
  2. Darfuria

Darfuria Active Member

Ah, disabling Javascript entirely through the browser resolves this issue...
  3. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

I'm curious as to why this would happen, unless the browser is specifically blocking certain scripts. Unfortunately I have no way to test your setup here, making it very difficult to debug what is going on.
  4. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

I cannot replicate this issue using a tethered internet connection via my
    iPhone 4,
    iOS 4.3 GM,
    MacBook Air [Late 2010],
    10.7 Lion Developer Preview 1,
    via Safari 5.1 or FireFox 4 or Opera 11.
    Kier likes this.
  5. Rudy

Rudy Well-Known Member

To me, "tethering" is using my phone as a modem, as I had to do this for a week or two while we got a new internet connection installed at the house. Every site ran as expected, albeit slowly. And, I used USB tethering since this computer does not have a wireless connection (I go direct to the router).