• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Lack of interest Xenforo Error Page Enhansements

Do you guys think the error page is a little bland? How about making it more up to par with the design of this forum? Perhaps a border, red indicating something went wrong etc. Ill leave the implementations to the developers as i just want to give them the request.

KURTZ

Do you guys think the error page is a little bland? How about making it more up to par with the design of this forum? Perhaps a border, red indicating something went wrong etc. Ill leave the implementations to the developers as i just want to give them the request.
do you meant the error pop-up?

Andy Huang

Perhaps add an optional bells-and-whistles admin can elect to enable for there, which if the URL format is well-formed, extract keywords from the URL, do a quick search, and offer a small list of threads:
[SIZE=18pt]XenForo Community - Error[/SIZE]

The requested thread could not be found.

Perhaps you meant:
XXXXXXX - posted by yyyy | zzz replies

Cezz

Indeed I think KURTZ is thinking the standard browser 404 page, but a custom 404 page is just as much a 404 as any other as long as the header is sent...

I guess this page is fully controlled by templates??? so if people so want to add more features to the 404 like a more obvious search or some additional navigation they can?

Russ

I don't really think off the shelves a software package should have a glorified 404 page. I do like the idea of possibly adding in "Did you mean:" but it would be no biggie. I think this is a problem if a URL is typed incorrectly which shouldn't really be too big of a problem in most cases(I could be wrong).

KURTZ

weird, try to select the two links which vrtsolus has posted, the first is a 'forum's' normal error (and i don't see any 404 there), but the second (the quoted message) is the standard 404 ...

anyways, Cezzy is right, i meant this ... and also i remember the custom 404 page that you (or your fellas) have released for the vBSEO ...

Andy Huang

weird, try to select the two links which vrtsolus has posted, the first is a 'forum's' normal error (and i don't see any 404 there), but the second (the quoted message) is the standard 404 ...

anyways, Cezzy is right, i meant this ... and also i remember the custom 404 page that you (or your fellas) have released for the vBSEO ...
First one is the correct one.
Second one is a different link covered under the text of the correct one. It tries to load something out side of the XenForo installation (/community), which is why it is not caught by XenForo, and so it throws the default 404 message.

Cezz

/me wonders when I became Cezzy... Originally I was just Cez, over the years I gained a z some how (me no know how) now I gained a y???

Yeah I believe it was Brian that wrote the custom 404 for vBulletin that we are sharing on vBSEO.com....

I am not seeing what you are saying about vrtsolus's post though :S

KURTZ

First one is the correct one.
Second one is a different link covered under the text of the correct one. It tries to load something out side of the XenForo installation (/community), which is why it is not caught by XenForo, and so it throws the default 404 message.
OK, maybe this needs to be fixed ... :) but i'm wondering about the first: is this a 404 too?

Andy Huang

OK, maybe this needs to be fixed ... :) but i'm wondering about the first: is this a 404 too?
Yep.
HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 23:49:44 GMT Server: Apache/2.2.3 (Red Hat) X-powered-by: PHP/5.3.2 Expires: Thu, 19 Nov 1981 08:52:00 GMT Cache-control: private, max-age=0 Set-cookie: xf_session=bdeb54101f037ebd9b1ad74c9bf146e0; path=/; httponly Last-modified: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 23:49:44 GMT Connection: close Content-type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
You can check it via: http://www.simonecarletti.com/tools/http-checker

Enigma

It could use some sprucing up.