xenForo cookie notice and Compliance with Google’s EU User Consent Policy

Mr Lucky

I am using the advanced Cookie notice but today received an email from Google (publisher-policy-no-reply@google.com) saying the forum was not compliant with Adsense and that I have until April 5 to fix this or the account may be suspended.

Looking at Google support pages, it seems far from clear what the actual wording should be. Hopefully I just make a small edit to the Cookie consent phrase.

Has anyone else with Adsense on their forum received this notice and if so any ideas on how to easily implement the compliant wording for Adsense?

Thanks

I did today as well, but I don't use the xenForo one as I'm with AdThrive.

I'm assuming as a big ad company they will get this sorted, so I'll post back if it's anything that can be changed on xF's end too.

I have done what I think is required for the Privacy policy, but still not sure about the Cookie policy.

I add this to the privacy policy:

Advertising​

Third party vendors, including Google, use cookies to serve ads based on a user's prior visits to this site

Google's use of the advertising cookie enables it and its partners to serve ads to based on their visit to this site and/or other sites on the internet. The Personal Data collected are Tracker, Usage Data, as stated in their Privacy Policy

Users may opt out of the use of the advertising cookie for interest-based advertising in their Cookie preferences (or follow Cookies link at bottom left of every page)

Alternatively you can opt out of a third-party vendor's use of cookies for interest-based advertising by visiting aboutads.info

Your link doesn't work for me, but yes, it's the one in the privacy and messaging section.

The built-in consent of Google Adsense isn't enough?
Didn't understand at all how to user that :(

It can be enabled on the Adsense dashboard.
yes, I'm try to get my head round how to do that. Do I create it then add it to the xenforo Cookie policy or the cookie notice ?

You just enable and configure it on the Adsense dashboard; that's it.
I'm not sure about the XF consent, as I disable it.

Doesn't matter though, as they still don't think it's compliant.
Well, ideally I want to use the xenForo cookie consent but have it compliant with Google.

I'm not sure if I even have to change it now that I have (I think) added the compliant wording to the privacy policy.

I imagine even the Google Admanager message, the site is not compliant without the privacy policy being compliant:

The cookie consent built in by Xenforo isn't GDPR compliant and needs more work, basically an addon tailored around it.

I don't know if @Kirby is working on it or already developed it for his private use.

He is an expert in this field and can give more insights.

The cookie consent built in by Xenforo isn't GDPR compliant and needs more work, basically an addon tailored around it.

Yes, but given that it is there as a feature, it should not need an addon to make it do the job it is designed for, ie being compliant.

As it is still in beta I'm hoping this feedback is useful, although it may be that in this case it is only uncompliant in regard to Adsense. I get the feeling it is not so much the the advanced feature (ie choosing which cookies) as much as the wording of the cookie and/or privacy policy, hence I have posted this in Forum management as I don't think it is either a bug or a beta limitation.

However xenForo is designed to have advertising (hence we now have ad slots) and it would be nice if it could take into account Adsense as it is probably the most widespread advertising programme.

NB: there is already what seems to be an anomaly in the default Cookie policy phrase which does not take the new advanced cookie consent into account, which I did report as a bug.

I am using the advanced Cookie notice but today received an email from Google (publisher-policy-no-reply@google.com) saying the forum was not compliant with Adsense and that I have until April 5 to fix this or the account may be suspended.

Looking at Google support pages, it seems far from clear what the actual wording should be. Hopefully I just make a small edit to the Cookie consent phrase.

Has anyone else with Adsense on their forum received this notice and if so any ideas on how to easily implement the compliant wording for Adsense?

Thanks
Have you had your site cleared yet?

I'm still trying to work out what wording they want!!!

Have you had your site cleared yet?
Yes just heard today, it was a bit of a mission though. Actually Wordpress was more of a problem than xenforo.

What I had to do was add something like this to the consent notice itself:

Please note that we may serve ads by via Google AdSense, and cookies may be used for personalisation of these ads to make them more relevant. These are optional and you can choose to enable/disable any such cookies in your preferences:

I added this to the Cookie policy (which must be linked in the consent notice)

Advertising​

Third party vendors, including Google, use cookies to serve ads based on a user's prior visits to this site. For full list see below.

Google's use of the advertising cookie enables it and its partners to serve ads to based on their visit to this site and/or other sites on the internet. The Personal Data collected are Tracker, Usage Data, as stated in their Privacy & Terms

Users may opt out of the use of the advertising cookie for interest-based advertising in their Cookie preferences

Alternatively you can opt out of a third-party vendor's use of cookies for interest-based advertising by visiting aboutads.info
(NB I also added it to the privacy policy for good luck)

And then I had to list all 191 of the Google Ad technology providers as configured in my Adsense settings (you can see the list on my Cookie notice at the bottom).

Once I had contacted them via the original email, they did keep in contact telling me what was still wrong.

Yes just heard today, it was a bit of a mission though. Actually Wordpress was more of a problem than xenforo.

What I had to do was add something like this to the consent notice itself:

I added this to the Cookie policy (which must be linked in the consent notice)

(NB I also added it to the privacy policy for good luck)

And then I had to list all 191 of the Google Ad technology providers as configured in my Adsense settings (you can see the list on my Cookie notice at the bottom).

Once I had contacted them via the original email, they did keep in contact telling me what was still wrong.
Thanks for the info, I think I should be able to sort it now ;)

Top Bottom