Can't fix [XenForo.com] Avatar Uploader Rejecting Uploads < 40KB

Alteran Ancient

In my attempt to upload a new avatar, I've been receiving this lovely error:
XF-Upload.webp

Funny, because the image I'm trying to upload is 29.5KB (or 32KB on-disk) - resolution was 500x650.

So, after using some of Photoshop's "Save for Web" brutality, I have pushed my image down to 15.9KB (16.0KB on disk) - resolution is 250x250. Still getting this error message.

I've tried on alternate browsers and alternate computers, to no avail. Is it just me, or has something changed on the server's end that's causing the avatar uploads to fail? I was able to attach the above image, but not upload an avatar.

Unfortunately, there's not a ton we can do about this - it has to do with the bad resizing algorithms of the image processors. Since the avatar is too big, we resize it down to the large size, but it actually gets bigger stupidly (unless we save it as a jpeg, but that introduces other problems). If you upload a max width of 192 the server doesn't need to resize the largest version so it should go through then.

If you need support with your installation, you will need to associate your forum user name with your license and post in the customer support forums.

Top Bottom