Xen Pushover (Push Notifications) [Deleted]

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
This add-on is not affiliated with XenForo Ltd.

View attachment 155530

With Xen Pushover installed on your forum, your users will be able to receive their forum alerts and notification of conversation messages directly to their Pushover client.

There is a Pushover client available for iOS and Android including Apple Watch and a desktop client.

The only thing you need to do is install the add-on and register a Pushover app and create a Subscription Code. Creating a subscription code is as simple as filling in some basic information and your URL forum (your URL should include a trailing slash):

View attachment 114724

Once you have added your Pushover API Token and Subscription Code to your Admin CP:

View attachment 114714

Your users will be able to connect to their Pushover account using the External Accounts page:

View attachment 114715

All your users need to do is click on the "Subscribe to Pushover" button, and after creating a Pushover account (or logging in) they will be subscribed for push notifications.

Once associated, all alerts and conversation alerts will be pushed to their device/s:

FnU1Gxh.png
Ljv56TN.png
yXZEUck.png

Because of where it hooks in to the Alerts system, all alerts are pushed, including those from add-ons.

Your users may not wish to receive push alerts for absolutely everything, so they can control this in their account settings:

View attachment 121423

Furthermore, as the Admin you can globally disable certain alert types from being used:

View attachment 121424

Third party add-ons may not have very friendly names. All we have is the "content type" and "action" for each alert. This is rarely very descriptive, so to help with this you an customise the phrases displayed:

View attachment 121425

Disabling Pushover for certain alert types allows you to potentially reduce the number of messages sent via the the service, which does have a limit:

Each Pushover API Key is capable of sending 7,500 messages per month for free. After that time, no more alerts will be sent to your users until the limit resets or you purchase additional messages. Additional messages are charged at 50 USD per 10,000. These never expire and will continue to rollover until used completely.

With that in mind, it's also important that you're able to have some sort of control as to WHO can use the Pushover Integration. Therefore, the add-on includes a user group permission (General group):

View attachment 70714

Additionally, there is some user criteria to use for Notices, Promotions and Trophies, etc:

View attachment 70716

License

For the avoidance of doubt, purchasing a license entitles you to the use of Xen Pushover on a single XenForo installation. If you wish to install Xen Pushover on more than one installation then you must buy additional licenses.

Installation
This add-on can be installed using the Add-On Install & Upgrade.

Alternatively...

• Extract the contents of the Zip file.
  • Upload the contents of the upload folder to the root of your XenForo installation.
  • Install in the Admin CP using the provided XML file.
Purchase
The add-on can only be purchased using PayPal from the link above. Once payment is complete, your download link will be emailed to you by a service called "FetchApp". Please keep this e-mail safe. This e-mail contains your download link. This download link will always download the most recent version of the product.

Your £15 GBP gives you Xen Pushover for life including support and upgrades.

Last edited:
Set up instructions:
  1. Create a Pushover account with Pushover: https://pushover.net/apps/build
  2. Once logged in, click on "Register an Application"
  3. Fill in the requested details (choose "Website" as type) and add an icon (the icon is visible in the Pushover app)
  4. You will then get an API Key.
  5. Enter that API key in your Admin CP (Admin CP > Options > Pushover Integration)
  6. You can now access the Pushover Integration in the External Accounts section.
  7. You will get a copy of your user / device key from either your app or from your Pushover account on their website.
  8. Receive alerts :)

Please make sure you read the add-on description fully, including the cost of the mobile apps for your platform. Your users will need to purchase the add for their devices and it isn't the cheapest app available. But it is worth noting that they may be able to use the app (or already use it) on a number of sites aside from your own.

People have suggested it might be a good idea to list which sites are using this add-on. I'm going to list sites using the add-on in the FAQ tab of the Resource. If you would like me to list yours, please quote this post and give me your URL.

Using on Az site, works great! Will be buying for my site in a few days when I have the cash to purchase it!

Just when I was getting a slight, SLIGHT temptation to install Tapatalk again.
No kidding.. the same thought found its way in my head for a split second.. This goes a very long ways in making sure that thought goes away permanently..

Last edited:
I hope this had nothing to do with my previous post because I wasn't complaining about the price of the addon.

Probably because XFRocks has just released a version for $5 by the looks of it. Doh!

I purchased this instantly when I saw it because it'll finally let me uninstall tapatalk, the push notifications were the only reason I still use it. Plus it's backed by Chris' reputation.

I only just saw xfrock's version that after I purchased this, ahh well. Will give this version a go anyway :)

Top Bottom