Xen Pushover (Push Notifications) [Deleted]

I hesitate to post this, but just for sake of not wasting time...

We've had pushover working for a while, but it's not rolled out to the rest of our members, yet.

But, now I'm seeing that alerts just aren't been registered in some cases. But, not only not in Pushover, but on the forum itself when viewing in a regular browser. (XF 1.5.7 and PHP 5.5.x series with nothing in the error logs on both sides)

My next step is to dig into the DB and check the xf_user_alerts table and see if the alerts are being registered or not. I'll also backtrack through our change logs and see what else has been changed...

It really seems to be haphazardly skipping threads or posts that I'm watching and just not sending a notice either on the forum or Pushover. (again, some alerts are fine, others just don't come and it looks random... as in no specific forum, thread or post...)

So - what I'm trying to isolate is if there is some conflict somewhere that's messing up the alerts triggering logic.

Has anyone run into this?

(posted in Pushover's thread until I can isolate what's going on)

So - what I'm trying to isolate is if there is some conflict somewhere that's messing up the alerts triggering logic.

Has anyone run into this?
I doubt it's Pushover. I'm using it and I don't have the issue that you have described. Maybe it's another add-on that is causing the conflict.

I doubt it's Pushover. I'm using it and I don't have the issue that you have described. Maybe it's another add-on that is causing the conflict.

Thanks for the reply... We're working through it to see what the issue is. I don't think it's Pushover either... I was mainly worried if I had just missed something on configuration. (doesn't appear that I have) Anyway, still working on it but at a lower priority until close of business for today.

Running Pushover since 3 months and it's doing well. As Martok said, most of the time it's other add-ons blocking each other. Deactivating all add-ons will help. Then checking if still no alerts are send. If alerts are send, you can switch back on one add-on after another and if the alerts stop again at a certain point you can isolate the conflict.

Reactions: ENF
As I said above, I hesitated posting this... but I think we've solved the problem, which traced back to some settings that were changed in the control panel.
We keep detailed change logs of each change made to the server and/or XF... stepping backwards through that helped isolate the issue, or at least what we think it was.
Now, everything is re-enabled and we'll see how things go in the morning. ;)

I'm on 1.5.8.

I've went through the steps, and registered the forum. I received a response on my smartphone that the forum is now subscribed to notifications.

When I go back to "External Accounts" on the phone (S4) it shows that I am unsubscribed.

I am receiving alerts on the forum, nothing is Pushing to the phone.

I did try to Push a test message from Pushover's website and that came through ok.

"Associate account with Pushover" is enabled.

All "Alert Types" are currently enabled.

Generally this is caused by this setting when you set up Pushover:

upload_2016-6-5_23-55-26.webp

I've seen this happen when "Group" is selected or if the "URL" field is either blank or wrong.

Ah.

This is annoying.

It looks like Pushover has changed something and it looks like the return URL no longer works when friendly URLs are disabled.

I'll have to do some further testing with this to see if I can rectify.

Chris D updated Xen Pushover (Push Notifications) with a new update entry:

Workaround for an issue with non-friendly URLs

Pushover appears to be stripping the XF route information out of the success and failure return URLs therefore preventing changes to your user's Pushover subscriptions from taking effect.

Instead of being returned to the External Accounts page, users will find themselves returned to your home page if you do not have friendly URLs enabled.

This update resolves that issue.

To get the update a download link will be emailed to you but any download link you've used previously will always download the latest version.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Last edited:
A little bug with @Brogan's "CTA Featured Thread Add-on". The only alarm that comes with CTA FT – when someone features a thread is not pushed completely: While the alarm is correct and complete on the board, the pushed notification only reads like this: "User (Admin) featured your thread ." (There is a space after "thread" and the name of the thread is not pushed – although the alarm on the board is displayed correct.) Let me amend, the alarm was send with the "Auto Thread Feature" function (the thread was featured by CTA FT automatically for certain criteria met).

I thought I'd try in here first with a question - it's likely to be phone related but you never know, some of you clever fellow users of this might have had the same.

For some reason I no longer get push alerts to my phone when I am away from home, ie. on mobile rather than wi-fi. It used to work, what's changed? They'll wait until I get home, then come through.

It's a Moto E running Android 6.0.

I can't see any settings in Pushover on the phone for this.

If I go into settings/data usage, mobile data is ON, mobile limit is OFF.

If I scroll down to Pushover, under the mobile tab, its data usage was 0.0kb. Restrict app background data is OFF.

The only things showing as restricted are "10025" (what's that?), Hangouts, Google Play Music, Google+ and YouTube.

If I go into apps/pushover/settings, Block All is OFF.

I can access the internet OK on mobile, for example in Chrome browser. So I can manually log in to my forum and check for alerts, but they won't be pushed to me, until I am home. So mobile data works, and manually running Pushover works on mobile.

Any ideas please?

Yikes. You just tried everything already that I was going to suggest :)

I don't know what 10025 is, but it doesn't sound like it's anything to do with it. (Might be worth a try, at least?).

Certainly sounds like something related to either the phone or the app itself, though. Main reason for saying that is that your XF installation really has no knowledge of your phone in the grand scheme of things. Any interaction it does with your phone is via Pushover's API. Meaning, if the push alerts are being sent successfully (which they are, because they materialise when you get to wifi) then anything that happens between Pushover and your phone is very much a Pushover/service provider/hardware thing.

I would certainly start by reporting the issue to Pushover themselves. Their support is really good, I've used them once or twice to report bugs:

https://pushover.net/support

Hopefully this will be something they've seen before, be aware of and know how to resolve.

Let me know how you get on. Will be interesting to find out what causes this.

Hey @Chris D, how deeply integrated is Pushover itself in this add on? Do you ever intend to add support for other services like Pushbullet?

Would a custom version that worked with Pushbullet be feasible with the current architecture? Just wondering

Last edited:
Top Bottom