Xen Pushover (Push Notifications) [Deleted]

I just wonder whether xf.com uses your addon here? But does not show it on " xf>user settings>External Accounts"?

How would it be possible to achieve this without having xf.com/community using your addon?

Of course they don't use the add-on here. XenForo will never install third party add-ons here.

It's possible because I use screen scraping to send HTTP requests and extract parts of the resulting HTML response.

@Marcus the scrape feature to receive alerts from Xenforo.com is really good. Set up us in the ACP on your site and once done you get alerts from here just like you do from your own forum. I find it invaluable. :)

It will be better one day if there is an option that prevents alerts from being marked as read when Xen Pushover picks them up from here. It would require a small code change in XenForo. (Has been requested already).

@Chris D is it expected to still get Pushover alerts from Xenforo.com even after the alert has been seen here? I just experienced this again where I'd just viewed an alert and then a minute later I got a Pushover alert for this.

Yes, there is actually no indication visible in the HTML as to whether an alert has been read or not.

There is a "new" indicator (the little asterisk thing) but that appears for X period of time rather than just the first time you see the alert.

There's some JS that runs when you open the alerts pop up, but I don't read the HTML from there.

So there's literally no way of knowing.

How is everyone getting on with this?

There have been some new developments in the world of Pushover: http://updates.pushover.net/post/83443935467/pushover-for-desktop-now-available

A desktop client is now available. So, with this, you can now have push notifications on your Mac, Chrome, Firefox or Safari (Safari for Mac only) browsers in addition to the apps available for iOS and Android.

@Alfa1 you may be interested in this (just saw your feature request elsewhere).

@Alfa1 you may be interested in this (just saw your feature request elsewhere).
Its great that PUSHover is enhancing and its certainly a very useful avenue. But its still the next best thing as users need to have apps and clients installed. If users do not then it does not work.
The optimal avenue is to take advantage of software that users already have installed. i.e. OS, browsers, stock apps.

To receive push notifications on your mobile, yes, you need the Pushover app.

To receive push notifications to your browser, or Mac Notification Centre you do not need any additional software.

Why? Why shouldn't it be expensive? You're not just paying for the app, you're paying for the entire service they provide.

And where do you get 8 dollars from?

In the US app store it is $4.99.

The NL app store sells the app for €4.49.

So, how is it $8?

There are certainly more expensive apps in the App Store ...

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/water-globe/id315423511

Why? Why shouldn't it be expensive? You're not just paying for the app, you're paying for the entire service they provide.

And where do you get 8 dollars from?

In the US app store it is $4.99.

The NL app store sells the app for €4.49.

So, how is it $8?

There are certainly more expensive apps in the App Store ...

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/water-globe/id315423511

Not trying to get into a fight with you ;-)

But to me it's not expensive but our members are "maybe" not willing to pay this somewhat "expensive" amount for an notification app.
and yes.....4.49€ is almost 8$ if im correct

But to me it's not expensive but our members are "maybe" not willing to pay this somewhat "expensive" amount for an notification app.
The App Store's pricing structure isn't based on just exchange rates (the dollar never changes) – the developer picks on a country/currency basis.

Here's the structure from when I last checked.

3 - $2.99 - £1.99 - €2.69
4 - $3.99 - £2.49 - €3.59
5 - $4.99 - £2.99 - €4.49
6 - $5.99 - £3.99 - €5.49
7 - $6.99 - £4.99 - €5.99
8 - $7.99 - £5.49 - €6.99
9 - $8.99 - £5.99 - €7.99

Neither am I. Please don't assume I am.

I've just told you how much it is in dollars. It's $4.99 in the US App Store.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pushover-notifications/id506088175?mt=8

The app store has local pricing for many regions around the world so it's pointless converting the currency when they get charged in their local currency anyway.

Neither am I. Please don't assume I am.

I've just told you how much it is in dollars. It's $4.99 in the US App Store.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pushover-notifications/id506088175?mt=8

The app store has local pricing for many regions around the world so it's pointless converting the currency when they get charged in their local currency anyway.

nevertheless....you have to agree that €4.49 for an notification app is quite expensive. Just saying that my members are not eager to pay such an amount for an app. Hope you understand and hope there's a somewhat less expensive solution coming in the nearby future

The price of the app has nothing to do with this add-on.
Direct your complaints to the app developer or Apple.

Further posts will be deleted.

Please see this important update regarding the Pushover app:

http://updates.pushover.net/post/85534940987/bulk-licensing-and-trial-versions-of-pushover

No change to existing users.

As a way to encourage new users to try Pushover, the Pushover apps are going to be 100% free for 5 days. This means no up front fee and it will allow your users to download the app, use it unrestricted for 5 days then if they like it they can purchase it via an in app purchase.

These changes are happening soon or may have already happened.

Just to be clear: I won't be giving friendly names to any other content types aside from XenForo. That's why the feature to edit them exists.
So would I be to assume that these both would be the same?
Screen Shot 2014-06-05 at 11.27.29 PM.webp

These are the associated XF alerts for that
Screen Shot 2014-06-05 at 11.32.37 PM.webp

EDIT:

Had a DUHHHH moment. Figured out you can edit those strings in the settings for Pushover. NICE!

Only problem I'm having is in the ACP I disable the bookmarks but they still show up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom