Xen Pushover (Push Notifications) [Deleted]

well the problem not with me ^_^ the problem with the users who want to pay for it :( , cuz i need them to use it not just me !!
Then it sounds like this add-on is not for you. All things forum are not free. Somebody has to pay for the back end.

I guess that the folks that supply the app could always set it up so that every hour they pushed advertisements to a subscribers text inbox. But I don't think the end users would like that.

I purchased the Pro version of Tapatalk because I didn't want ads. The people who would want to utilize it will pay for it since it can be used on a wide variety of sites.
I purchased it (the app and the add-on) because I wanted it and I will use it for myself (not only on my site but some other places as well as well as use some of the other API interfaces). If end users want to avail themselves of it then they are free to purchase the app and subscribe to my sites monthly subscription.
If they don't then they won't.

Chris, going from 1.0.1 to 1.1.0 there seems to be some missing phrases on the "Pushover Alert Types" options tab.

avforums_competition
cta_ft_featured_thread (Brogan's Featured Theads)
postrating (Luke Foreman's Post Ratings)
quote (SheepCow's XenQuotation)
showcase_comment (Bob's Showcase)
showcase_item (Bob's Showcase)
showcase_review (Bob's Showcase)
xengallery_comment
xengallery_media
xengallery_rating

I noticed over on XenAdmins that "resource_update" is missing as well.

Thoughts?

Unrelated to the xenforo app, related to Pushover, the app is worth buying not just for the Xenforo app:

Screen Shot 2014-04-09 at 11.18.38 PM.webp

Chris, going from 1.0.1 to 1.1.0 there seems to be some missing phrases on the "Pushover Alert Types" options tab.

avforums_competition
cta_ft_featured_thread (Brogan's Featured Theads)
postrating (Luke Foreman's Post Ratings)
quote (SheepCow's XenQuotation)
showcase_comment (Bob's Showcase)
showcase_item (Bob's Showcase)
showcase_review (Bob's Showcase)
xengallery_comment
xengallery_media
xengallery_rating

I noticed over on XenAdmins that "resource_update" is missing as well.

Thoughts?
They're not missing. I'm just not psychic!

Those names aren't phrases. They are the content types as identified in the database.

I have given friendly names to all of the default XenForo ones. You can give the others friendly names yourself from the Admin CP.

In the Admin Alerts page just click on the title of each content title and their actions and edit the names.

Just to be clear: I won't be giving friendly names to any other content types aside from XenForo. That's why the feature to edit them exists.

ya thats right

but check this
https://www.pushbullet.com its also something similar to pushover

i dont have a problem with paying to use it myself but as i want it for other to use it

i know my member will not pay
90% they dont bother them self to read a full text to know what is going one and i know they will never bother them self to pay for that

believe me they will not pay even if its cost them 1$

@Chris D did https://www.pushbullet.com have something nice same as pushover
and is it hard to implemented also with ur addon or its need to rewrite the whole thing ?!
Firstly, that service is for Android devices only that run 4.1 and above, so that would exclude all iPhone & iPad users as well as those of us with older Android devices. It also appears to be a personal service only unlike Pushover ie you can only send stuff from one of your devices to another, not to other people's devices.

Xen Pushover uses the Pushover service. Clearly you cannot integrate other push services into it, you would require a separate add-on for each service. So if you're looking for an alternative, your best bet is to find another equivalent service with a free or cheap app and post details of what you require in Resource and Add-on Requests. Good luck with that. :)

Just to be clear: I won't be giving friendly names to any other content types aside from XenForo. That's why the feature to edit them exists.
@Chris D , I completely understand and agree with your position on this. It's very easy to edit those phrases too. I'd just like to check though, will you be adding phrasing to XMG for Pushover for the next XMG update, or will users still need to phrase this? Not a problem if the latter, just curious.

@Kevin You have to edit those names yourself (via the acp) I made that mistake too, telling @Chris D he'd forgotten phrases :D The reason resource_update wasn't done on Xendmins is because I'd missed it in the list :D

You can find them under Applications, Xen Pushover (at the very bottom of the menu on the left), Pushover Alert Types. Then just click on the one you want to edit and rename it :)

I love this add-on, thank you, @Chris D!

This is how we intend to implement this feature: we'll be offering the ability to use Pushover to all members – we'll offer the actual iOS App to our premium users for free, we'll absorb the cost of the iOS App via the funds from premium membership.

We'll be using Apple's Volume Purchase Programme for Business which will allow us to issue a redeemable code to premium members.

Why are we doing this? Because we're tired of useless premium membership features (fancy usernames, etc) and because the end user will benefit, they'll gain this paid App ($4.99/£2.99) for 'free' and they can use it on any forum/service they like (not just ours).

Edit: we're working on how to achieve this for Android users, the Google Play store doesn't offer anything similar to Apple's VPP (we may just email a $5 credit to users).

Edit: we're working on how to achieve this for Android users, the Google Play store doesn't offer anything similar to Apple's VPP (we may just email a $5 credit to users).
Heh, you edited just as I was about to ask how that would play out for Android users :D

Heh, you edited just as I was about to ask how that would play out for Android users :D
Yeah, I thought I'd mention it ;) – it's a shame that Google doesn't offer a similar service.

I think the easiest thing would be to email a $5 Google Play credit to premium members, the only difference is that this will have to be manual (email addresses may be different, need to know the currency/store location of the user, etc).

Yeah, I thought I'd mention it ;) – it's a shame that Google doesn't offer a similar service.

I think the easiest thing would be to email a $5 Google Play credit to premium members, the only difference is that this will have to be manual (email addresses may be different, need to know the currency/store location of the user, etc).
It's a great idea though. Nice to see some outside the box thinking with regards to things to offer premium members :)

Forgot to mention, as an added incentive to anyone looking at this app - since installing the latest update (we ran a beta of it for a few days before it was released) our push alerts dropped from around 120 a day to averaging out at 61 a day. This shows, I think, that the extra control @Chris D has added to both admin-side and user-side for which push alerts get sent really is effective.

Neither am I. ;)

Thanks for the explanation, I'll update the names for those entries in the ACP.
It was sort of mentioned in the update description:
The Admin can provide friendly names to the Alert content type and actions in the Admin CP by clicking on their names.
I'll forgive you for missing it though as it isn't ever so clear and it was pretty wordy.

Thanks Chris D for the wonderful addon. I am looking forward checking out your other products.

I would love to have notifications when something new is in the moderation queue. It would be so useful !

Hi @Chris D

I think I've found a minor bug when giving alerts a friendly name in the ACP.

To reproduce:

1. Give a friendly name to a title e.g. of an add-on such as cta_ft_featured_threads
  2. Give a friendly name to an any alert (doesn't have to be for that add-on)
  3. Change the friendly name again for the title you previously amended e.g. cta_ft_featured_threads
  4. The updated friendly name for the title does not display, it still shows the old title - even if you refresh the page or move to another page and return
  5. Give a friendly name to any alert, or change the friendly name of the alert you added previously
  6. The friendly name for the title is now displayed
One other minor thing (yes, I know I can change it and I have) - one of the friendly names you have provided reads "Someone like your status or profile post". It should of course read "Someone likes your status or profile post".

Give that man a medal.

Yeah there's a case sometimes where the language cache isn't rebuilt. I have sorted that now.

I have updated that phrase also.

Is anyone here using the Pushover app on iOS?

I'm having an ongoing issue with it. The app works great most of the time, but I think I have identified a bug and I am helping the developers debug it. Just to note, I think this may be an issue with the iOS app. Not this add-on. And possibly not the Android app but feel free to try the similar steps for your device:

1) Be in a previously read alert.
2) Lock the device screen.
3) When you next receive a message:
4) Slide to view.
5) Immediately start tapping the Back button quickly.

The issue appears to be exasperated on slower internet connections and actually it's quite intermittent but I have been able to regularly reproduce the issue with those steps.

Could you please give it a try, and let me know the results. The correct behavior is that the new notification you receive should open. I'm seeing something slightly different...

Top Bottom