(CLOSED) WTF.com - Rants, News, Off-Topic, Humor

Alien

Haven't made one of these showcases yet. So, cover me I'm going in!

WTF.com was founded in a creepy little corner of the internet on Valentine's Day, 2004, and it's still around like a bad case of crabs.

https://www.wtf.com

We made the move to XenForo on February 28th, 2011 to celebrate (mourn?) our 7th anniversary.

We're happy to entertain any constructive suggestions on improvements, and any other constructive feedback. We really appreciate the opportunity!

Looking forward to XF 1.1 2.1! :D

Update: Site is closing Dec 2022. Thank you all for visiting! It's been an amazing (almost) 19 years!

Last edited:
Very nice style, one of my favourite styles I've seen using xenforo. I'd recommend anyone that joins to make an introduction, the community is very friendly and always gives you a hearty warm welcome. Extremely nice job, minus the crabs. ;)

;) Onimua did that add-on ;).

That is correct. However I suspect he knew that and was just commenting on the "parent site"/admin (myself) that was running/hosting the custom add-on, and didn't mean to overlook the programmer who I had already thanked in post 1.

That confessions add-on really is something. I like the twitter style open to read more feature which oozes usability and keeps people interested in reading more rather than if the link opened a new page where they would loose interest and move on to another site. For some reason I never noticed this before, did the read more link open a new page before?

Excellent work with that add-on, it really is.

do those get archived somewhere?
can the search engines find them?

That would be my suggestion and maybe a quick signup to post button, something down to the right of the confessions comments.

1) Archived? We don't delete the confessions, so they can still be found through pagination or the tags system. Or did you mean searchable in another format?
2) Search engines - I think the index can be located, but I'm not yet clear on the individual confessions. I know the full confessions have a separate page assigned to them as well, but I'm not sure if search engines have access to that yet. I think some improvement may be had in this area.

As for a quick sign-up button where the comments field would appear (so that guests are reminded they can comment if they register): That's not a half bad idea!

For some reason I never noticed this before, did the read more link open a new page before?

Yes, it was indeed designed from the start to be twitter-like in it's operation. You can also submit confessions directly from the index, as well as submit ajax-updated comments right under an actual confession so that you don't have to jump anywhere.

There are a few hidden features from guests as well, such as rules (appears under stats), checkbox for anonymous or not, tags input.. There is also the ability to edit confessions, editing tags, automatic submission to the moderator queue so staff members can approve them, and the ability for an anonymous confessor to remain anonymous to reply to follow-up comments someone makes to the confession.

Did you register that domain or did you pay a premium for it? It's a great one :)

Good job on the site Jason. Nice interactive features which make you want to jump in and participate :D

The domain has been registered since 1995, so it's an original without the premium. ;) Appreciate the comments, Arny!

Nice! (y)

So, I'm sure that you've been tempted to see what you could get on the open market for that great three-letter domain ;)

Anyways, great work on the site and I wish you continued success brotha! :D

So, I'm sure that you've been tempted to see what you could get on the open market for that great three-letter domain ;)

Anyways, great work on the site and I wish you continued success brotha!

You could say we've had a few offers. ;)

BTW, just left you a quick tweet related to a possible bug found on your site. ;) Thanks again!

I think the domain name is great and glad to see you registered it early and didn't pay the premium for it. I am with the one other person as far as the favicon. wtf is completely different from fu. LOL

Top Bottom