Will xenforo 1.x be free after Xenforo 2 is released?

Ninomancer

I'm just wondering. It would not make sense to sell the old version since the new version will be much improved and could sell for alot more.

but who need older version of xenforo if you got active license, also if your license are expired why you again use older version from download list?

my license are expired on version 1.5.8 so i dont need any older version, and i wonder why are on the list?

but who need older version of xenforo if you got active license, also if your license are expired why you again use older version from download list?

my license are expired on version 1.5.8 so i dont need any older version, and i wonder why are on the list?

Not everyone is going to upgrade to Xenforo 2.0 when it comes out. They need time to allow style and addon developers to upgrade their styles and addons to be compatible with Xenforo 2.0.

New forum owners may choose to start with Xenforo 1.5 or below because of all of the compatible addons. When Xenforo 2.0 releases there will be considerably fewer addons available than Xenforo 1.5 and below because time is needed for addons to made compatible with Xenforo 2.0.

Also there are many reasons developers and users may need to download older versions of Xenforo for development / debug purposes, etc.

I would say the biggest reason is if people are willing to pay for it (which they are), why release it for free? (:

Last edited:
when xenforo 2 comes out, xenforo 1 will be low priority and in some time support will be ended, when xenforo 2 comes this is end of xenforo 1.

I'm pretty confident that they wouldn't end support for Xenforo 1.x series right when Xenforo 2.0 comes out. A lot of people will still be using the 1.x series as they can't upgrade right away because they are waiting for addons to be made compatible with Xenforo 2.0. Later down the road they will end support for Xenforo 1.x.

Later down the road they will end support for Xenforo 1.x.

I would imagine a lot later down the road, if at all. I would think that for there to be no support, there would need to be security issues that cannot be fixed with the patches (which are supplied whether or not your licence is active)

Why on Earth would they give free access to it though?
There are lots of buisnesses that give away older products for free if they have ended support for them. I would expect XenForo to end support in about a year or two, and if people want more features and more support then they go for the bigger, better version. There's nothing to lose once you end support because you have ended support.

There are lots of buisnesses that give away older products for free if they have ended support for them. I would expect XenForo to end support in about a year or two, and if people want more features and more support then they go for the bigger, better version. There's nothing to lose once you end support because you have ended support.
Yeah lol, I don't see the point in doing that. If people want the product, they'll buy it.

Software businesses?
Can you name any "big name" ones that currently do that? I know that it has happened in the past, but AFAIK once a software goes EOL it's removed from the distribution channel now - partially due to the litigious nature of society.

I guess you miss the part where Adobe states
Only customers who legitimately purchased CS2 or Acrobat 7 and need to maintain their current use of these products may use the serial numbers provided during the download.
And no, it's no longer supported. Try calling in and getting questions answered on it. Guess what they'll tell you.

Top Bottom