MG 2.2 Widget carousel media bug ? Or not...

nicodak

Hello,

How many photos minimum is needed in a category for the widget to be set to random images?

Because I have a widget set to random image and there are 11 photos in the category, and the widget should display 6 but most of the time it shows only one, two, three, sometimes 4 but never all 6. It even happens that it does not display any photos and there it completely disappears from its location. With a setting on recent images no problem.

Thanks !

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
The way random media works is very deliberate because typically selecting random records from MySQL is extremely unperformant so we do it in a very specific way but the trade off is this can happen particularly with much smaller sets of records.

I can't really answer the question but basically the more media items you have, the less likely it is to happen. It can still happen even if you have many items, if I recall correctly, but it will be much less frequent.

nicodak

Thanks for the clarification, the other widgets set the same have never produced this but I have enabled them with at least 30 images in the categories, currently they are around 70 so I think it's ok now.

But what is strange is that the album carousel does not produce this "malfunction" when there are only 9 albums, the widget is always full.

nicodak

But what is strange is that the album carousel does not produce this "malfunction" when there are only 9 albums, the widget is always full.
How to explain that the widget of the albums is not affected by this problem? Doesn't it work the same?
I cannot resolve the issue on my last 2 carousels which must display 5 photos from categories which have at least 40 but despite everything the widget often appears with missing thumbnails ...

Thanks.

nicodak

Up !
How to explain that the widget of the albums is not affected by this problem? Doesn't it work the same?

By the way, I have a media carousel widget set to 1 media to display and it is pointing to a category with 25 items, most of the time the widget don't display anything... 8 times on 10 :(