WHM/Cpanel with PageSpeed module, any reviews?

Got it installed on the server and ready to go with easyapache. Just need to hit the build button, but not ready for that until this weekend. Still need to read up a bit more on it.Screen Shot 2013-08-07 at 6.51.52 PM.webp

Reactions: rdn
So I installed this last night on one of my servers running Xenforo and from the looks of it, apache is eating up more CPU which I guess should be expected. The server I'm running this on is relatively old though. Will run it for a few days and see what the before and after numbers look like on Google Analytics.

And, what do you think? I installed this on my dev server (Not cpanel) and honestly don't notice much of a difference, so not sure if I will pull the trigger on the production server.

And, what do you think? I installed this on my dev server (Not cpanel) and honestly don't notice much of a difference, so not sure if I will pull the trigger on the production server.
Yes, I notice much improvements.
I'm using GTmetrix, Pingdom and Webpage test to test my live site before and after I implemented it.
Html, Js, css are automatically minified.

Reactions: Dan
If you are running an older server, I actually would recommend that you turn pagespeed off and let each individual accounts that actually need it turn it on using .htaccess.

I ran it on the entire server (hosting about 60 domains), load averages spiked over 400% and according to Google Analytics, site speed of my xenforo forum tripled. I just turned it off on the entire server and turned it on just my xenforo forum. Load averages are back to normal now.

I also tried using the pagespeed analyzer and the before and after was just a couple of points for the desktop version.

http://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/

I'll report back in the next couple of days to see what the site speed is updated too. Then I'm going to disable all pagespeed and see how that compares as well.

I'm am using this now, checkout my Live Forum :)
Your forum setup scores pretty low:
http://www.webpagetest.org/result/130811_AQ_4R2/
First Byte takes almost 1 second, that's why you get an F.

I looked into past at modpagespeed and realised it only hurts my server performance, instead of actually helping.
I can do much better optimizations by myself, without placing the extra stress on server. A good start would be to remove cPanel.

I looked into past at modpagespeed and realised it only hurts my server performance, instead of actually helping.
I can do much better optimizations by myself, without placing the extra stress on server.
I guess, It's because of the ads I'm using, Adsense and Direct Banner ads.
Facebook & Twitter resources seems slow also.

Site is still pretty slow, even with adblocker.

Anyway, tried this on a live server today, busy sites tripled the server load in less then 30 minutes.. removed, no thanks...

IMO, TTFB has nothing to do with ads. A responsive server with decent network will have a low Time To First Byte (TTFB). TTFB is the total time taken by the remote server to send in the first byte of data after a user requests a page.

I've gotten where I don't put a lot of faith into that site. Of 4 servers I have ALL of them fail the 1st byte test (and just last month they all passed with an A). Run it 5 minutes later and then I get a "C". For the servers, 3 are located in Florida, and 1 in Georgia. 3 sites run xenForo, 1 is running Coppermine Gallery and another site is running WordPress. Every one of them got an F on the First Byte test if I use the default Chicago server. If I change it to a California based one it moves to a D. If I go to another server to test from it changes to something else.
Hell, even one server that is serving nothing but the default nginx test page gets a C.

Last edited:
Top Bottom