White screen

TPerry

Latest version of the software, am trying to go to the admin panel and am just getting a blank screen in multiple browsers. Have modified the config.php to disable all add-ons but still cannot access the system. Can go to the /install directory and it tells me that I am running the current version and prompts for a fresh install or to rebuild master data. Take the second option? Will I lose all my custmizations (have the .SQL DB saved out). The normal forum access works, just cannot see the administrator pages after logging in under my administrator account.

EDIT:
Appears that taking the second option (rebuild master data) solved the problem?

You should check your webserver error log to see if there is anything insightful there.
Shared Hosting (HostGator) and the log is empty. I have been having some problems with the templates rebuilding all morning long. I know that HostGator recently "upgraded" the server I am on, and ever since then I have noticed some slowdowns, but when I call them "Everything looks fine".

Sounds pretty typical of a shared provider. Performance is generally not guaranteed and can be spotty.
yeah, crazy thing is it has been great until their hardware "upgrade":confused: . For 3 active users, I can't justify going to a VPS. If the site ever gets active, then I'll kick over (just hobby money).

If you're just doing a hobby with a tiny install to start, you might consider these new guys: http://ramnode.com/
Really really cheap and incredibly fast disks (SSD). I have one of their Xen nodes running an IRC server - mostly got it just to play around/try out. Not bad. Can't vouch for support because I've never had to use it, though. 30% off coupon here: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1246076
Prices are nice... then add in 14.95 per month for a CPanel license (only Linux servers I've administered I've had physical access to). Still may get the smallest just to play with and see how hard it is to work with.

Oh I would not put cPanel on any of those. I wouldn't use cPanel if you're only managing one site, either. cPanel is only really useful if you have multiple sites to keep track of (if you're the server admin - this is when you have something like a VPS that you control).

I would recommend the KVM one, but it's just personal preference. I've seen some quirky issues on OpenVZ, mostly revolving around trying to run Java (Minecraft server) on it. The process would crash randomly on me and I had never had that issue on a non-OpenVZ machine before.
Though the issue might be moot right now. It seems they are out of stock on all the KVM offerings at the moment. lol

I would recommend the KVM one, but it's just personal preference. I've seen some quirky issues on OpenVZ, mostly revolving around trying to run Java (Minecraft server) on it. The process would crash randomly on me and I had never had that issue on a non-OpenVZ machine before.
Though the issue might be moot right now. It seems they are out of stock on all the KVM offerings at the moment. lol
Broke down and got the 256MB KVM one to play with and figure out. I assume you can always upgrade the account if you need to. :D

Yeah, should be easy to upgrade if you want. If you want any help figuring out how to set stuff up, give me a shout!
From looking, I got a LOT to learn. It looks like the IP you get is a private Class C network... Do they have their own DNS server that maps it for you. The documentation for setting up is a "little" lacking on the site.

If you're just doing a hobby with a tiny install to start, you might consider these new guys: http://ramnode.com/
Really really cheap and incredibly fast disks (SSD). I have one of their Xen nodes running an IRC server - mostly got it just to play around/try out. Not bad. Can't vouch for support because I've never had to use it, though. 30% off coupon here: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1246076

Thanks for the suggestion of Ram Node. Started out with the 256MB CKVM-E3, played with it for about a day, upgraded to the 512MB CKVM-E3 (this is the cached ones since speed is not life and death to me right now). Once I get my moola back from HostGator will be upgrading to the 1024MB CKVM-E3. Should be enough to last me for a while till activity picks up.

They don't host DNS as of right now. You need to use your own nameservers.
Yep, already registered with DynDNS to have them do my nameserver stuff. They are where I registered my domains thru and have had good luck with them in the past. I guess $24.95 per year ain't bad, but even if I could find cheaper I don't know if I'd trust them more. I could always set up my own DNS server I guess, but why get into that headache if I don't need it. :whistle:

Top Bottom