Which PHP IDE? / What do you use to code?

Shamil

Kier stated, in his interview that he suggests that developers using the XenForo platform use an IDE. Kier and Mike use Eclipse PDT (though I'm sure I've seen Kier, at least, use Zend Studio).
I know Zend Studio and PDT are virtually nearly the same, however, what do you recomment we use?

I use Notepad++. I don't believe it's primarily meant to be used as a PHP IDE, but it does a pretty damn good job if I do say so, myself.

I actually use Espresso for Mac. It's not on the same level as Eclipse, but it allows for a multitude of plugins (called sugars) that support just about any programming language you can think of. Additionally, files are uploaded via SFTP as soon as they are saved. (If you have the option turned on.) This is a must-have feature for lazy developers like me. :p

I actually use Espresso for Mac. It's not on the same level as Eclipse, but it allows for a multitude of plugins (called sugars) that support just about any programming language you can think of. Additionally, files are uploaded via SFTP as soon as they are saved. (If you have the option turned on.) This is a must-have feature for lazy developers like me. :p

I've played with that a bit on a mac but don't own one :(.

If i did own a mac i'd use Espresso.

I'm not a big fan of php :D but when I do have the immediate need then Dreamweaver !
(if it's not immediate well then someone else will do it :D)

As has been previously mentioned, Mike and I both use Eclipse PDT / Zend Studio, and I recently convinced Matt from IPS to switch to the same (check his tweets for his reaction).

It's often said that Eclipse is the worse PHP IDE available, except from all the others ;)

Can someone explain to me how exactly an IDE works? How would it make programming for something like XF or VB easier? I assume it keeps track of variable names, classes, and what not... does it do anything else? Does it make it easier to test? Normally to test, I just upload the script to an online environment, and then try to break it; if I can't break it, then there are no bugs. How would something like an IDE make it easier to test a script in an offline environment? Especially since I would use many VB/XF systems, which aren't available in the offline environment.

I just recently installed Notepad++... and I like that it colors the text... but beyond that, I'm just using it as a basic Notepad. I dont have anything like a PHP server installed on my computer.

An IDE allows you to set break points for testing code, it also has an SVN so you can share code with version numbers between developers remotely.
It's much more than that though, in Eclipse editing/clicking in a file will bring up an overlay menu of available commands/variables, etc.

If you run a local install then you will need server software, I use XAMPP but there are others available.

Top Bottom