When is it time to move hosts?

steven s

First, I like my current host very much.
They are not cheap, but their support has been excellent.
Better than any host I've ever had in 13 years.
I have 2 VPS accounts and 1 regular webhosting account.

I have limited shell access due to security reasons.
My sql files are too big to import. Bigdump.php is even having problems.
The only way is to restore a database file is to use a line command.
Well, I can't for my subdomains because SSH is not enabled.
My host is perfectly willing to do this whenever I want.
Is this reasonable?

If you don't require to do this yourself too often I think it's just fine. Otherwise you might want to look for a host with more access so you can work it yourself at your own rhythm.

Sounds good. In the meantime I'll make a list of hosts that I might consider.
If my new forum does well I may need to consider moving from a VPS to dedicated and that might be the time to move.
Then again, the forum could flop and all I am out are several domain registry fees.

Maybe consider a VPS Hosting service that does allow you full access. Learning to do things at the command line can be daunting at first, but tasks like mysql backup/restore tasks for large sites are better supported that way.

Steven, wiredtree usually has some great deals floating around and knowing how to talk to their sales guy helps too...I managed to not only get a discount on my dedicated, I doubled the size of my server for a small fee BUT he added a second hard drive to my server of equal size for backups at no charge.

And their VPS is full access.

First, I like my current host very much.
They are not cheap, but their support has been excellent.
Better than any host I've ever had in 13 years.
I have 2 VPS accounts and 1 regular webhosting account.

I have limited shell access due to security reasons.
My sql files are too big to import. Bigdump.php is even having problems.
The only way is to restore a database file is to use a line command.
Well, I can't for my subdomains because SSH is not enabled.
My host is perfectly willing to do this whenever I want.
Is this reasonable?
I had to read this a few times to really understand it. No your host is not being reasonable. Even the shared hosting account we used to have had jailed shell access which we used for backing up and restoring.

I will sent a message to you with my raw notes that I have on file. I would post them but they are quite disorganized.

I too am looking into moving hosts. What are some quality, reliable VPS hosts that will offer at least:
20GB HDD, 512MB RAM, 1TB transfer with full root access and 24/7 support?

Price range is roughly $500/yr or less.

I too am looking into moving hosts. What are some quality, reliable VPS hosts that will offer at least:
20GB HDD, 512MB RAM, 1TB transfer with full root access and 24/7 support?

Price range is roughly $500/yr or less.
I'm with servint.net and like them a lot. $49/m, but I believe there is a 10% discount for paying yearly.... so about $500 ish range... $528?

512Mb is not much.
I had to read this a few times to really understand it. No your host is not being reasonable. Even the shared hosting account we used to have had jailed shell access which we used for backing up and restoring.

I will sent a message to you with my raw notes that I have on file. I would post them but they are quite disorganized.
I have jailed shell on my main account. I can't access my shared accounts on the same VPS.

Thanks Dean. Unfortunately, I'm not entirely sure I can move hosts now. Because I believe we were billed for a full year, and they seem to have a no-refund policy. Or I may choose to move hosts and buy-out the remaining balance on the account and utilize it for my own hosting needs until I can move it elsewhere...

I have jailed shell on my main account. I can't access my shared accounts on the same VPS.
I'm not sure what you mean. You have 2 vps's, and a shared account on one of the vps's?

Are you doing hosting for other people? Using WHM to set up an account for a reseller that sells shared hosting?

Thanks Dean. Unfortunately, I'm not entirely sure I can move hosts now. Because I believe we were billed for a full year, and they seem to have a no-refund policy.
Which is why I don't pay in advance... I have full faith in servint, but the future can be hard to predict.

Which is why I don't pay in advance... I have full faith in servint, but the future can be hard to predict.
Not my choice, but we saved $100 by doing it. So, not really my choice. :( I may buy-out the remaining balance and use it for hosting my personal site if we choose that.

I'm not sure what you mean. You have 2 vps's, and a shared account on one of the vps's?

Are you doing hosting for other people? Using WHM to set up an account for a reseller that sells shared hosting?
I need two keep the 3 accounts separate.
A chapter of my car club pays for one VPS which is paid yearly. I pay for my hobby site monthly and I have a regular hosting site with a SSL cert for something I'm doing at work.
The 2 VPSes have WHM.

I use WHM to manage a couple sites on each VPS.
If I was smart, I would get a dedicated and charge my local chapter what they are paying now, and make a little profit.
Who said anything about me being smart? :)

General input. It could well be that as more and more people use xf, there will be more and more spare cpu cycles available to use for other things... It would be *extremely* interesting to see how many forums I could host on my little vps. I cannot even make it breath hard unless there is a backup running.

I need two keep the 3 accounts separate.
A chapter of my car club pays for one VPS which is paid yearly. I pay for my hobby site monthly and I have a regular hosting site with a SSL cert for something I'm doing at work.
The 2 VPSes have WHM.

I use WHM to manage a couple sites on each VPS.
If I was smart, I would get a dedicated and charge my local chapter what they are paying now, and make a little profit.
Who said anything about me being smart? :)
I'm still not completely understanding, but that is ok.

If you are absolutely convinced 2 vps's are needed, then you could use one to back up the other if they are in 2 different locations (we do that).

Otherwise if you could get by with 1 vps, it could well be that the car club would not object to paying reduced annual fees... or as you stated, could make a bit of $

I cant afford a vps so I shop around who has the best shared/standard options. You know the ones who wont suspend your account for using "too many" CPU resources.
I'd say lunarpages was the worst. They were always threatening to suspend me on a regular basis. Its funny when it came time to renew they were being super nice to me and offering me all these discounts when I refused to renew.

Forgive me, but is not VPS for really active websites/forums? My small board is just fin for shared hosting, but what if it grows a bit. My wallet is not friendly at my current stage in life.

Besides.. there are a lot of "unlimited" shared hosting plans out their.. right? :p j/k

Top Bottom