What's your philosophy on upgrading xenforo?

What's your philosophy on upgrading xenforo?

• Upgrade whenever a new version comes out when it gives me something I need or want

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Upgrade whenever a new version comes out, even though nothing is broken and it offers nothing I need

Votes: 39 76.5%
  • Upgrade reluctantly, only when I suspect it might help solve some need/want/issue I have

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Upgrade almost never

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • If nothing's broken, don't fix it. Never upgrade unless forced by something/someone.

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters

jauburn

What kind of upgrader are you? I'm wondering because I'm currently in camp 2 and wondering why the heck I'm thinking about upgrading.

I wait no more than a day. And only because once or twice was there a quick re-upload for some random thing (forgotten file, quick path fix). But usually within hours of the release.

I've only be behind in updated when I was busy with other things (usually updating other people).

Reactions: rdn
I suspect such an approach is easier if you don't have a forum that would cause you major headaches if broken.
Nah, since I was using XenForo 1.0.3 I've never encounter any broken or headaches.
XenForo is very stable even if it's mark as Beta or RC.

I suppose my stance changes per installation. Different forums have different needs. Smaller forums I might update right away, larger sites Ill want to maybe wait for plugins to be updated.

Im always one of the first to be chomping at the bit to get my hands on major point releases 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 2.0, Etc... But sometimes minor point releases that primarily only include bug fixes sometimes go unnoticed.. Ive even been known to Jump from one major version to another and never had installed any point releases between.. But in most cases i will install minor releases when the mood strikes.. or this....
I suppose my stance changes per installation. Different forums have different needs. Smaller forums I might update right away, larger sites Ill want to maybe wait for plugins to be updated.

I voted for the wrong one. For 1.3 I updated my live site to Beta 1 the moment it was released. Not recommended but feel safe doing it.

Minor point releases I always upgrade to as soon as possible after release. Major point releases may take a few days whilst I make sure that add-ons will work with it.

I always update on my test site first before my live site just in case there are any issues.

Minor point releases I always upgrade to as soon as possible after release. Major point releases may take a few days whilst I make sure that add-ons will work with it.

I always update on my test site first before my live site just in case there are any issues.

The question for all of you who jump on the latest release just because is....why?

Probably because minor point releases primarily address Bugs and security where a major point release generally requires much more prep work and plugins are much more likely to break without due diligence.

But i just get to excited and usually jump in head first.. Minor point releases don't get me as jazzed up and therefore dont always get the attention they deserve..

If a minor update is released specifically to address a security issue then without a doubt i will update ASAP..

I would say it's sensible to do it as Martok suggests. If it's done with planning and caution then, why not?

Top Bottom