[OzzModz] What's New Tweak

[OzzModz] What's New Tweak 2.2.1

No permission to download
I think I've found a bug within the 2.0.5 version....

What's New Tweak disabled:
If I go into 'Whats new' and scroll down the list of topics, click on a topic, read the topic and then click the 'back' arrow in my browser, it takes me back where to I was on the page, to the same section of scrolled down topics.

What's New Tweak enabled:
If I go into 'Whats new' and scroll down the list of topics, click on the topic, read it, then click the 'back' arrow in my browser it takes me back to the top of the 'Whats new' page rather than to where I was.
(This happens regardless if the auto refresh is turned off on the page or not)

which is very annoying

:)

That is a nasty side effect if you enabled "Hide search id from New Posts page".
If you disable that option, then all should be fine.

Just a suggestion for a future release, is it possible to let the member select from a drop-down how often the page refreshes?
Say for example: 60, 120, 300, 600, 1200 seconds

Say for example: 60, 120, 300, 600, 1200 seconds
That should be possible, but I'm not sure where the user should set this setting. In user panel or on the whats new page? Might get a bit ugly if you put a selectionbox next to the refresh button.

That should be possible, but I'm not sure where the user should set this setting. In user panel or on the whats new page? Might get a bit ugly if you put a selectionbox next to the refresh button.
Agreed. I would suggest the "Preferences" page in the account section maybe?

Mr. Jinx updated What's New Tweak with a new update entry:

[2.0.6] Minor update

• Please note: this release is for XF 2.1 and higher!
  • Fixes a glitch with the "Hide search id from New Posts page" feature. If enabled it wil remove the search id from the URL in the browserbar. However, clicking on a topic on the What's new page and then going back to the What's new page didn't remember the page scroll position. Now it does :) Thanks webbouk for reporting this.
  • If you are upgrading, please make sure to also update this phrase: MrJinx_WhatsNewTweak_PageRefreshCountdown
    It contains redundant html code which...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Last edited:
Great new features. Thank you.

Only suggestion is to highlight the new refresh frequency hover action, maybe a down arrow icon next to the refresh phrase or something.

Awesome! I basically live in the What's New section, but still feel like it's lacking one feature: Would it be possible to add an optional view for New Posts so that the contents of each new post (not just thread title and user) are also displayed? I've searched but found no similar option.

First off thanks for the effort you've put into this mod and for giving back to the XF community. I am a new XF user / hobbyist developer and hope to return the favor at some point in the future.

The problem with hiding the dual menu is that mobile becomes less functional. It forces the user to use the side menu. Worse, if you deselect the Forums tab the user is now forced to expand the Forums tab to navigate to e.g. Watched topics.. The menu you are hiding is the more useful and intuitive menu because it highlights the option selected and remains visible on mobile. Instead of removing the most useful item, I would suggest removing the worthless items. :D The billboard sized text that indicates what option is selected and the home link serve absolutely no purpose yet take take up twice the space of the menu being hidden. Remove these instead!

What to do about the dual menu? Easy. Hide "What's new" on the Navigation bar and move the option to the "Forums" menu. This solves a lot of issues. You no longer need to deselect the Forums tab (it is actually better for mobile and desktop users to leave it selected) and similarly the Media tab (when viewing "New media" the media tab should be selected). Don't deselect it. This improves the mobile experience by having options other than "What's new" automatically expanded. The user has the "What's new" options displayed on their screen would only be clicking the options menu to access something other than "What's new". You would need to add a lightning bolt to the Navigation bar (for quick access when scrolling). This has an additional benefit in that it is more consistent with mobile. IMHO it is poor design on the XF developer's part to put "What's new" option in different spots for mobile and desktop. Things should be consistent!

Edit: see my proposal here in the XF suggestions forum:

Last edited:
Awesome! I basically live in the What's New section, but still feel like it's lacking one feature: Would it be possible to add an optional view for New Posts so that the contents of each new post (not just thread title and user) are also displayed? I've searched but found no similar option.
I think this is a great idea do I'll put it on the wish list, but this will not be implemented very soon. I took a look at the code and this seems a bit too complicated at this point for me and the available time I spend on this addon. Thanks for the suggestion!

@tomdav thanks for your view! It is amazing how many things can still be improved for the What's New page.
I will take a look at your suggestions. Me and my users are still struggling with this, but right now everybody seems satisfied finally. However I got some questions about the mobile view, which I now better understand reading your view.

The free version will not be updated anymore :(. I decided to only offer and maintain the paid version because of the many hours I spend on this add-on.

For all of you using the free version, I have a special upgrade deal!
If you purchase this add-on, you can get a 50% discount by using this special coupon: XFUPGRADEFROMFREE (valid before 31-05-2019)
This will give you another 12 months of upgrades (y)

Top Bottom