What music do you like?

Diana

I just think these street musicians are awesome. Thought I'd share them with you guys.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
The people walking by seem to be tone deaf. Sign of the times?​

the kind that go, "WOBBLE WOBBLE WOBBLE WOBBLE, WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB BBBBBBEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU WOB WOB WOB WOB WOB WOB WOB..."

i have seen some unreal skill on youtube in regards to game soundtracks. japanese kids seemingly spending their entire life learning to play mario on the axe, complete with coin-sound pinch harmonics and the like.
i have always thought this little girl was pretty awesome ;)

Agree doeletzer, the girl's amazing. I find Asians are very musically inclined. This may also be due to the emphasis on education in their culture. They start music lessons early and work hard at perfecting their skills -- sort of like coders ;)

I've been getting away from mainstream, commercial fare ever since a friend turned me on to street music.
I'm finding so much cool stuff on youtube that I just can't stop watching.

Like these guys jamming on the streets of NYC (watch it to the end, it's really cute and funny).

Or these gypsies singing and dancing on the beach.

Life is beautiful :)

You can date me.....
It's Jimi Hendrix in first place.......

After that, it's some of the blues standard like Buddy Guy, Clapton, etc.
R&B is also fine music! James Brown was truly the Godfather of soul. Some motown is good.....Wilson Pickett, etc.
Oh, Led Zeppelin is another winner. Turn up the sound a bit and listen to this. If you don't like this one.....well, maybe it's time to check out classical or jazz.
Oh, some of Springsteen is good too....(I'm from N. Jersey!)

I've been getting away from mainstream, commercial fare ever since a friend turned me on to street music.
I'm finding so much cool stuff on youtube that I just can't stop watching.
Like these guys jamming on the streets of NYC (watch it to the end, it's really cute and funny).

Or these gypsies singing and dancing on the beach.

Life is beautiful :)

There are quite a few around in Boston - I remember seeing a black kid - looked about 10 years old, playing a "set" of drums next to Faneil hall. I say "set" because it was an old snare, one cymbal and a couple plastic pails. It was truly amazing to hear him lay down the complex rhythms.

We have some street characters around here - W. Mass. - who are classic. One guy is known as the "Motown man" and he sings motown with only the accompaniment of his plastic sheetrock pail. He's good - he's not got his own little business playing at parties. He'll even let you sit in and sing along with him!

Ahhh James Brown. HAven't listened to him in a while.

I mean what I like as a whole can't be described by a single category...
and then the links in my sig....I mean how would one even categorize that.....I guess I like everything that isn't twangy. Got to keep an open ear if you want to hear anything good.

You can date me.....
It's Jimi Hendrix in first place.......

After that, it's some of the blues standard like Buddy Guy, Clapton, etc.
R&B is also fine music! James Brown was truly the Godfather of soul. Some motown is good.....Wilson Pickett, etc.
Oh, Led Zeppelin is another winner. Turn up the sound a bit and listen to this. If you don't like this one.....well, maybe it's time to check out classical or jazz.
Oh, some of Springsteen is good too....(I'm from N. Jersey!)

You've listed some of my all time favorites. They are the Greats! Who could argue? (I lived in N. Jersey too) ;)

Since we're going back in time to an era of greats, can't leave out the incomparable Janis Joplin.

Since we're going back in time to an era of greats, can't leave out Janis Joplin.
Ok, now you can really date me.
I have a good friends who was a few years older than me - truly in the center of the 60's changes. He has amazing stories - all true - but unfortunately he is not a writer. I keep threatening to have him dictate his stories and then write them down! Tell me if this is worthy....

OK, so back in the day all the artists would play at a place in Philadelphia called the Electric Factory. This was an old warehouse at about 22nd and arch which held about 2,000 when completely stuffed. It had the light shows (colored liquid between sheets of clear plastic) and ALL the bands played there. As examples, I say Iron Butterfly, Country Joe, Blue Cheer, The WHO, Johnny Winter and Rick Derringer and many more......

So, my friend Richard had a buddy who worked there. His job was walking around in a Gorilla Suit! Yes, the place was strange like that - angled coffins lined the back wall and you could lay in them and watch the concerts. A gorilla walked around, etc.....

So, the Gorilla Guy calls my buddy and says "Rich, come down and pick me up - I have a surprise".....and he goes down and picks the dude up - and who should jump in the car with the Gorilla but Janis Joplin and Big Brother (the head guy)! Turns out they wanted to smoke a little weed and party and Gorilla led them to my buddy(well known for that) . So Janis is hitting on her bottle and they all are toking up and driving around Philly. But, wait, it gets better. My buddy is a first rate harmonica player. Next think you know, Janis is singing and he is playing.....in the car driving around.

Classic, I say! Classic.

More recently, Amy Winehouse, another great who died before her time.

Miles Kane

I also run/admin his official forum too :)

EQnoble, I never knew of any woman conductor. Learn something new every day ;)

Really enjoyed listening to "Naturally 7" singing on the subway. They're soo good. Love the lead singer's voice. It was interesting to see how people tried to ignore them at first and soon realized they're just too good to ignore.

I'm adding their video to my "Street Performers" thread. Many thanks :)

Another great bites the dust before her time.

R.I.P Witney :(

Whitney Houston, Pop Superstar, Dies at 48

Whitney Houston, the multimillion-selling singer who emerged in the 1980s as one of her generation’s greatest R & B voices, only to deteriorate through years of cocaine use and an abusive marriage, died on Saturday in Beverly Hills, Calif. She was 48.

http://nyti.ms/w0fRjJ

Top Bottom