Add-on What functions do you want for Social groups?

I would love a group news feed. I give you an example. Tom makes a group about cars. If Sally visits the group she will see a wall similar to the Facebook homepage. This wall only shows posts made by other group members who posted on that same page or tagged the group in their post. Sally then sees something like this:

https://xenforo.com/community/attachments/usonpp2-png.81274/

Sally can then comment on other people's posts or make her own posts. If she posts in the group her post will go to the group and show on the Profile Posts page in the same manner in which a post on another user's wall shows up. Check out this example:

2014-10-03_043747.webp

Maybe [Group] could be added to signal that the post was made on a group wall.

I would be interested to back this cause if you crowdfund it so feel free to contact me on here or email me.

For me, each group needs one, or more "owners".

Each group would need to be set to one of the following:-
  • Private (invite only)
  • Invisible (can apply to join only if url is known)
  • Public (anyone can see the group exists and apply to join)
Everyone should be able to see each group's description and logo / banner / etc, but all user generated content should be hidden until they are actually a member of the group. Applications to join should be either auto-accepted, or approved by the group owner(s) - this should be set at a per group level.

Each group can have "pages", with ability to say if page content is viewable to group members only, or for everyone. Would be nice for each page to show as a tab on the group home page.

Each group should have a calendar function where events can be posted, and commented on.
Each group should have ability to have one or more forums, with ability for sticky threads.
Ability to set per group notices.
Ability to send alerts to all group members.

Ability to transfer ownership.

Members should be auto-subscribed to the group and receive notifications of new threads and events.

This for me, is my bucket list of absolute minimum functionality.

Hope this helps,

Rob

For me, each group needs one, or more "owners".

Each group would need to be set to one of the following:-
  • Private (invite only)
  • Invisible (can apply to join only if url is known)
  • Public (anyone can see the group exists and apply to join)
Everyone should be able to see each group's description and logo / banner / etc, but all user generated content should be hidden until they are actually a member of the group. Applications to join should be either auto-accepted, or approved by the group owner(s) - this should be set at a per group level.

Each group can have "pages", with ability to say if page content is viewable to group members only, or for everyone. Would be nice for each page to show as a tab on the group home page.

Each group should have a calendar function where events can be posted, and commented on.
Each group should have ability to have one or more forums, with ability for sticky threads.
Ability to set per group notices.
Ability to send alerts to all group members.

Ability to transfer ownership.

Members should be auto-subscribed to the group and receive notifications of new threads and events.

This for me, is my bucket list of absolute minimum functionality.

Hope this helps,

Rob
Have you try with my adoon :D

This thread seems a bit redundant if you ask me when you look at this one that has already been done. I am using it on both my forums and it is really great. @Snog has done a great job on it and I am sure with more support he would be able to tweak it with more functionality if needed. Personaly I don't see much more other than a few nice to haves to improve it much more myself.

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/social-groups.3443/

I like snog's mods but his social groups doesnt appear to compare to nobita's implementation. I am yet to decide which one to go for and will seek review copies.

For both Nobita and Waindigo groups I see very frequent bug reports. Nobita groups is relatively new so hopefully the number of bugs will go down in time. Waindigo groups is 2 years old and after 30+ bug fix releases its still attracting a lot of bug reports.
Snog's groups are too basic for my needs.
Liquid Pro Simple groups is not released yet so we will have to wait and see if it will be too simple for us or not.

If our initial release needs to include all of the features from your OP, then our release will be too simple for you. That's not to say that some of the features will not be added overtime, but we want a strong, solid foundation that covers all of the basic functionality as polished as possible. That's how so many developers end up with bugs as they continue to try and pack too much into an initial release. Slow and stead is our pace :).

Apologies to those who cannot wait, but we want to release something that we can proud of!

I think its unrealistic to expect all the listed features to be in any 1.0 release. Your approach is sound in my book. Hopefully you will change the name from 'simple groups' to 'advanced groups' over time.

I think its unrealistic to expect all the listed features to be in any 1.0 release. Your approach is sound in my book. Hopefully you will change the name from 'simple groups' to 'advanced groups' over time.
It's just our brand of addons. Simple Forms, Simple Groups, etc. It doesn't mean the functionality is simple, it means it's simple to use :)

Since XF now has a gallery its would make sense that any social groups addon would have XFMG albums.
The available group addons feel very much as bolted-on functionality. I would love to see a social group addon that feels native and uses XFRM framework as a group index, XF custom tabs, forum nodes, xf member list, XFMG albums, XF pages, etc.

I'm waiting too for the best Add On for Social Groups on the market. I need XFRM features in social groups.

While there are several social groups addons I'm missing a social groups addon with advanced features, quality code and following standard xenforo practices.
I'm hoping that a quality developer will consider to create a social groups addon that integrates with XF, XFMG, XFRM, AMS, SC deeply, follows the same concepts and reuses existing functions.

.... and then you woke up. Yes, it's a big pipe dream we've had for over 2 years now. Sorry to be the negative truth bearer.

Not going to lie, we are slow developers and that's due to both the way we want to make everything perfect and timing. We are still working on our groups addon, but had to put it on hold to take care of bugs with Simple Forms that we are still trying to polish up. Once 2.1.10 is out we will move back to focusing on groups, but cannot specify any realistic release date. We are so far behind our initial timeline that it wouldn't be fair to speculate.

So I wouldn't say it's a dream, just slow to realization.

Reactions: ehd
I appreciate the effort @LP-John but its going so slow that I may need to check in no more often quarterly to see progress.

Yes @Rob it seems a pipe dream. But all it needs is a talented developer to make this his or her project. The demand is surely there. What I understand from people is that most are using the addon that has the least problems, the most functionality or a balance between that. But there surely is demand for a solid solution that follows XF standards.

Reactions: Rob
Top Bottom