What do you guys think about discourse?

thanhtammongha

I have been looking at with some curiosity for some time. I have seen some mobile communities just explode using it.

What are your thoughts on it?

beerForo

I chose XF over it and happy I did.

I hope you realize most answers will look like this simply based on where you asked. :cool:

It's also a bit rude. There are neutral places to ask.

Solidus

It's nice, Flarum is nicer still.
For a bare bones forum and nothing more, they are definitely the top 2 options from a design standpoint, mobile especially.

leaf

Xenforo is more advanced. Discourse is good for mobile devices and it's fast, but xenforo has a lot more functionality, easier to modify, has more addons that are easier to maintain. Discourse uses ruby on rails which is a nightmare to maintain without breaking the whole site.

Robust

Discourse's style and take on forum-based communities is completely different to that of XenForo and similar forum software. The two don't have that much in common.

Discourse is definitely far more tag based and the way threads are organised and how they do pagination is one of the big things that stands out to me as being different. But their structure in general is quite different, there's stuff like trust levels that encourage participation and community self-moderation which I kinda like.

The "mobile communities that exploded" will probably not have exploded due to their choice of forum software but for other reasons.

Xenforo is more advanced. Discourse is good for mobile devices and it's fast, but xenforo has a lot more functionality, easier to modify, has more addons that are easier to maintain. Discourse uses ruby on rails which is a nightmare to maintain without breaking the whole site.
Not sure what you mean re. Rails, not to mention testing in Rails is far easier. As far as the modify part goes, I definitely agree XenForo is far easier to modify, but I think that goes both ways. Forums bloated with extra plugins are just confusing to operate and unfamiliar for users. Whilst some webmasters may enjoy spicing their site up with 60+ add-ons, from a user's standpoint, it isn't always so great. I lurk in a few communities that use Discourse and I enjoy how familiar each of those are to the other - there's very little customisation and things are exactly where I expect them to be. For most sites that use Discourse, visible customisation is not really a core requirement.

I think the fact that Discourse somewhat limits customisation is actually a pro rather than a con, for that reason. What forum owners today tend to get a bit wrong, imo, is that they feel users want more. I can only speak for myself, but I usually want less. Depends on the specifics of the community, of course.