What are good 'upgrades' to give users to motivate them <<< 'gamification'

Shamufish

Trying to get the creative juices flowing here... I'm convinced that 'gamification' is the way forward with most discussion groups. I'm trying very hard to setup my yet-to-be launched forum with a system from the get go that won't clash with any coming upgrades.

We know that group promotions are coming in 1.1 and are even possible today with a mod. We also have 3 things to play with that are unlikely to go:

1) trophies (which should have their own pix so they become 'achievements')
and
2) points
3) groups (which can be used as 'ranks')

In my opinion, a half decent system that woudl therefore not clash with future xf releases could be:

- gain points through trophies as it is today
- trophies however a) have their own pix b) are shown on posts near userprofile
- x points trigger a usergroup promotion. This in turn show as a 'rank' on post near userprofile
- people who don't want to wait can 'buy their way in' through paypal upgrades

The above is half decent but the question is then what. The problem is that there isn't very much to motivate users on a forum. The best 'thing' I could come up with is limiting the # of post viewable per day (and that doesn't even exist yet, not even as a mod)

Can anyone think of anything else? Where do you think this is all going in XF?

Trying to get the creative juices flowing here... I'm convinced that 'gamification' is the way forward with most discussion groups. I'm trying very hard to setup my yet-to-be launched forum with a system from the get go that won't clash with any coming upgrades.

We know that group promotions are coming in 1.1 and are even possible today with a mod. We also have 3 things to play with that are unlikely to go:

1) trophies (which should have their own pix so they become 'achievements')
and
2) points
3) groups (which can be used as 'ranks')

In my opinion, a half decent system that woudl therefore not clash with future xf releases could be:

- gain points through trophies as it is today
- trophies however a) have their own pix b) are shown on posts near userprofile
- x points trigger a usergroup promotion. This in turn show as a 'rank' on post near userprofile
- people who don't want to wait can 'buy their way in' through paypal upgrades

The above is half decent but the question is then what. The problem is that there isn't very much to motivate users on a forum. The best 'thing' I could come up with is limiting the # of post viewable per day (and that doesn't even exist yet, not even as a mod)

Can anyone think of anything else? Where do you think this is all going in XF?
i start users out with few features, then unlock them as they accumulate trophy points.
the first 'level' unlocks attachment uploads, custom user title, and the like button. later they get a signature, moods, an album, more conversation invites, can change name, etc.
there is no outward distinction for usergroups (no icons or special title) cos i think it might come off as elitist.
here is the thread where i spell it out for the members.
http://gotvirtual.net/community/threads/gv-tips-hints-3-likes-signatures-and-usergroups.1009/

ive always felt it is a mistake to launch with every bell and whistle available in a desperate attempt to lure new users.

Top Bottom