1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Webmaster College - Learn how to make your site HUGE!

Discussion in 'Forum Showcase and Critiques' started by Xyphien, May 15, 2016.

1. Xyphien

Xyphien Active Member

[​IMG]

Webmaster.College isn't going to be the same as the other webadmin websites, this is dedicated to more intelectual, and helpful types of conversatations, and is something I hope to be a service more than just a lounge. I wish to have people help one another, and generally learn from. This way new webmasters can come and ask questions, whilst old ones can help. So many times people just use promotion sites to advertise, and the thing with them is, they don't bring in too many people on average on their own. When doing anything, it's like building a house. Before you get the walls, you must have the foundation, and WC is here to provide the foundation for webmasters. I'd like to teach them strategies, and ways to go about making their site popular, efficient, and successful. I own a website that I feel is on the bigger side with over 300k views a month, and that gains 50-100 members a day. So I'd like to take what I learned and help other webmasters out with the things I've learned through the 7 years of making forums.

Webmaster.College
    is a site that is getting set up, and is still in testing phases. After getting a website to the point where staff over at FP were asking me for some help and information on how to get traffic, etc. on their site I decided to make WC to allow people to talk, discuss, and learn about everything webmaster related. If you're new to the webmaster game, it's a nice thing to check it out and hopefully learn some things from it, if you're an older, more experienced webmaster, it's still nice to check it out and help out other webmasters with anything they may need help with!

Website domain is: https://webmaster.college

The site is still new, and getting up and running. I'd really like some constructive criticism on it if possible :)

Last edited: May 15, 2016
    gwordz, Joe. and whynot like this.
  2. =MGN=RedEagle

=MGN=RedEagle Well-Known Member

I wish you all the best with this!

3. =MGN=RedEagle

How will you make it different or better than something like TAZ or the other major webmaster sites?

4. whynot

whynot Well-Known Member

Something is wrong with the theme.

FireFox, IE, Opera:

wc_ff.JPG wc_ie.JPG wc_o.JPG

5. Mr Lucky

Mr Lucky Well-Known Member

Good luck! I like the colour scheme

At browser widths less than about 1000px, the moving slider in the header starts to obscure the logo.

Also I think many people would be put off by a constantly animate header banner.

While I do like the idea of custmised forum icons, does the mortarboard icon change to something obvious for forums with no unread threads?

6. CyclingTribe

CyclingTribe Well-Known Member

That's a lot of new members per day - what is the URL for this site?

Anthony Parsons likes this.
  7. Mr Lucky

I think if you posted info about the established successful sites you have in your profile, or elsewhere very prominently, it would be useful for credibility and for getting members.

8. Xyphien

Xyphien Active Member

It is very faint with unread threads, and then becomes fully colored. as shown here: Untitled.png

https://rpgmakermv.co is the website :)

This is a very good point, and something I'll start doing now. I actually never thought about this. Thank you so much for the helpful advice :D

Webmaster.College will be more focused on providing information, personal success stories, etc. on being a webmaster. Stuff like articles, Q&A's etc. I know TAZ and other webmaster sites have this, but I don't feel they focus entirely on helping out webmasters in becoming better, more efficient, and teaching each other different ways of doing everything. Most people are stuck in their one way, and I'd like to provide some insight on other ways of doing things. I've sent this message to a few people who have asked about the site, and I think it might explain it better:

"Webmaster.College isn't going to be the same as the other webadmin websites, this is dedicated to more intelectual, and helpful types of conversatations, and is something I hope to be a service more than just a lounge. I wish to have people help one another, and generally learn from. This way new webmasters can come and ask questions, whilst old ones can help. So many times people just use promotion sites to advertise, and the thing with them is, they don't bring in too many people on average. When doing anything, it's like building a house. Before you get the walls, you must have the foundation, and WC is here to provide the foundation for webmasters. I'd like to teach them strategies, and ways to go about making their site popular, efficient, and successful. I own a website that I feel is on the bigger side with over 300k views a month, and that gains 50-100 members a day. So I'd like to take what I learned and help other webmasters out with the things I've learned through the 7 years of making forums.

I want this site to have more learning type of feel to it. I want members to be able to ask questions, and get a good, well educated response from it, as well as share their own personal experiences. I want this to be the go-to place for information, and help in any webmaster related feel."

A user replied stating most webmaster forums he's visited notices that site feels like more people go to chat with other webmasters/admins than to gain knowledge and/or help as much.

Thank you for letting me know. Another user mentioned a few other problems with the theme, so I'm looking into a new theme currently. I greatly appreciate the help.

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  9. Mr Lucky

Its a worrying number of new members compared with the actual stats. Lots of bots and spammers ???

Fine as long as members know. Or do people really care about that, I'm not sure they do.

You are welcome

10. Xyphien

Xyphien Active Member

The site is a main hub for RMMV resources, Q&A, Wiki, etc. So most people go for the content and don't participate in the conversation much. About 70% are lurkers, but they view the site daily reguardless.

Going back to the theme, we're currently working on upgrading to a totally new theme to match the website itself a lot better.

11. =MGN=RedEagle

I would love to see frequent videos like Moz's whiteboard Friday.

12. Xyphien

Xyphien Active Member

That's a really good idea. Thank you for that. I might start doing that when I get back from deployment :)

=MGN=RedEagle likes this.
  13. =MGN=RedEagle

Thank you for your service! (y)

Xyphien likes this.
  14. Xyphien

Xyphien Active Member

I never know what to say when people thank me, sometimes I awkwardly thank them back and then fade away lol.

So, I'm currently in the process of changing my theme right now to something that I feel is absolutely perfect for the site! I'm extremely excited for it, and cannot wait to release it to everyone!

15. Anthony Parsons

Anthony Parsons Well-Known Member

I think it needs a homepage, to be honest. Something to describe what you do, what makes you different, etc.

16. Xyphien

Xyphien Active Member

I've been looking for something to use as a homepage http://audentio.com/demo/xf/index.php?pages/proximity-home/ looks great, however I've seemed to purchase one of the few xf themes that audentio made that doesn't come with a beutiful homepage lol. I'm not a fan of the portal plugin that everyone uses as I want something like the link above, however, I'm unsure how I'd go about doing such things.

Thank you for your response Anthony :)

17. craigiri

craigiri Well-Known Member

Maybe designations so that everyone knows whether they are speaking to a true expert, a student, etc.

There could be perhaps a couple designations....NOT based on post counts, but many even manually assigned by you and/or the mods.

1. Tenured Professor or Webmaster Fellow - someone who has produced measureable results multiple times over a decade or more.

2. Adjunct Professor - skilled person with at least one highly successful enterprise

3. PH D student - learning fast...with all basic skills but stepping up.

4. Teaching Assistant - knows some stuff....

5. Student - Looking to learn

Just an idea. Knowing who you are talking to or who is responding to your queries can really help in terms of the weight which should be assigned to those particular answers.

Xyphien likes this.
  18. Xyphien

Xyphien Active Member

Wow Craigiri, this is a brilliant idea. I applaud you for the idea, and greatly thank you for the concept!

Edit:

Our new theme has just gone live!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2016
  19. Anthony Parsons

Anthony Parsons Well-Known Member

Use the XF route system to route the forum home to another address than root, and create a page and custom design it. That way you only move the forum home, not the forum threads, profiles and such.

Create a blank page design using XF system. You can do the same with the portal... using it only to strip it all down to use as a blank page self-design, especially if you use pages elsewhere in your site.

20. John Scott

John Scott New Member

Definitely an original design. Nice job.