1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Way too much forum template with little content

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by AnthonyCea, Feb 18, 2011.

1. AnthonyCea

AnthonyCea Well-Known Member

I was checking out an old forum I was active on many years ago and it was almost a shock to view a thread due to the fact that the forum thread display template stood out much more than the content of the thread.

I guess if you like looking at display boxes and avatars this sort of design is FANTASTIC !!
  2. Markos

Markos Well-Known Member

I don't like it. But "de gustibus..."
  3. AnthonyCea

LOL, I hate it quite a bit, many times custom designs suck, they would have been better with the stock template.
  4. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

That's ugly.
    Carlos likes this.
  5. Wuebit

Wuebit Well-Known Member

I love stuff like this
    but for the link you added i didn't like it :(
    imho i love good looking site's
  6. jmurrayhead

jmurrayhead Well-Known Member

It's hideous...and look how much screen real estate those one line posts take up.
    Peggy likes this.
  7. KevinL

KevinL Member

To each his own. Nothing really wrong with it.
  8. AnthonyCea

I guess if you like looking at boxes, avatars and user names it is great !!
  9. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

And here I thought I was alone. Its nice, but its also ugly, too.
  10. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that no one has picked up on the fact that XenForo also has "boxes, avatars and user names".
    Was this your point? Just wondered ;)
  11. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

It's boxes within boxed within boxes. XenForo has a box, and that's it. No overkill. ;)
  12. GofD

GofD Well-Known Member

Actually, there are still quite a few boxes. Avatars are in boxes. So are quotes. Breadcrumbs are in a box. The number of likes and the people who liked a post are in a box. Plus the entire forum is a series of bars (long boxes) wrapped up in a large box topped with a menu bar (long box) with tabs (more boxes).

I was just pondering this morning how to go about redesigning the forum schema into something far less....horizontal without getting into the redesign backlash that Gawker is currently steeped in following their 'thinking outside the box' redesign. So far I don't have any answers, just lots of boxes.
  13. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

I was speaking specifically about posts. Posts aren't in a "box" so to speak, so they are open and free to run around (theoretically ;)). Likes are in a much smaller box that aren't in the way of content, as are avatars and user info.

I didn't say there weren't any boxes in XenForo, but they are far fewer and are used sparingly. The link at the start of this thread show box inside box inside box that's it's in your face rather than letting it be subtle.
  14. AnthonyCea

(and you all talking about boxes upon boxes have sealed the deal)

I need to start drinking and head to the store to buy enough for the weekend now !!

I thank this forum for reminding me that is how I deal with utter frustration on a daily basis !!
  15. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

Don't forget to buy a 12-pack. They come in nice boxes too!
    jmurrayhead likes this.
  16. AnthonyCea

Rednecks that live in the deep south have a limited selection, Icehouse and Olde English Malt Liquor !!

PS: It's all we can afford at .88 Cents a can too !!

PPS: I got the joke the third time I read your post...... 'nice boxes' [​IMG]
  17. GofD

GofD Well-Known Member

I agree that XenForo is much less boxy than any other forum software (and much more everything else :) ). It's that the whole schema of 'forum' has grown up on table design which tends to be very horizontal. Just musing on the what-ifs and wherefores - what if it weren't so boxy?
  18. GofD

GofD Well-Known Member

Don't forget that wine comes in boxes too! :D It IS the weekend, isn't it?!
  19. Lucas

Lucas Well-Known Member

I can see that it really was established in 1998. lol