Voice and Video Messages [Deleted]

Your method has a few complications. First, you'd have to expose your API key. Then, you'd burden the server with large uploads. Third, members could breach YouTube terms in their uploads and get YOU banned!

Hmm. I can see how the API key could be an issue with members you don't trust.

One potential use case I'm considering is effectively for small private forum who want to get off of facebook groups and What'sApp group chats, but still have video upload and sharing functionality.

Small, close nit group means API access key isn't a big concern.
The forum/main sub forums are private with access by vetted usergroups, so no SEO benefits needed, hence all videos should be unlisted.
As it's a small group there won't be tons of large concurrent video file uploads bombarding YouTube with the one API key.
As a result, it means the user experience is great for all the other forum/group members who don't have or don't want to create a youtube account.

I understand your current default setup, definitely better for medium and large forums to help it scale, and the SEO benefits could be great too. But there's definitely a separate use case for those of us with some very small private communities that simply want to get out of the Facebook/What'sApp ecosystem, while still making video upload as easy as possible for our members. These small forums are probably the kind that don't otherwise need beefy hosting either, which means they might choke on the built in video upload in 2.1, making your add on the more attractive option.

That's an edge edge case and to be blunt it will not be implemented in that way, aside from the unlisted vs public part which might be.

I had similar thoughts about a single channel setup but I suspect it's more trouble than it's worth. For one you have to explicitly assign all rights to videos to yourself otherwise you're in breach of Youtube T&Cs, secondly another thing to manage, thirdly complexity.

That's an edge edge case

Not necessarily, you could still reserve the feature for trusted premium usergroups on any forum, especially if they've paid for access to that user group and are more likely to respect the rules and post content that won't violate and T&Cs.

Still, seems good for many sites as it stands, but I do think there needs to be a video upload button by the quick reply box for it to get used properly in threads:

Just as I was posting this I thought about why there isn't one there. I'm assuming that it's not there right now as it doesn't immediately result in an item that can be embedded in the editor before saving and submitting the post, like the native functionality, where you can then edit text around that object?

Not necessarily, you could still reserve the feature for trusted premium usergroups on any forum, especially if they've paid for access to that user group and are more likely to respect the rules and post content that won't violate and T&Cs.

Still, seems good for many sites as it stands, but I do think there needs to be a video upload button by the quick reply box for it to get used properly in threads:

View attachment 191141

Just as I was posting this I thought about why there isn't one there. I'm assuming that it's not there right now as it doesn't immediately result in an item that can be embedded in the editor before saving and submitting the post, like the native functionality, where you can then edit text around that object?

Definitely agreed with the button location.

Also does your addon have callbacks in addition to your license check? And how restrictive are they when your server becomes inaccessible.

Any way to integrate this with XF Media plugin for offloading videos to youtube?
XFMG integration is being looked at in the update following the next, it would save storage and bandwidth while increasing performance if your current media is being uploaded to and served directly from the forum server.
It immediately posts the reply and it will integrate with the quick reply editor for the next update.
Also does your addon have callbacks in addition to your license check? And how restrictive are they when your server becomes inaccessible.
No, and the licensing is served from Google Cloud Storage which also has edge cache so the bases are covered in terms of reliability.

Last edited:
Is there a reason why you added the upload buttons next to the reply button as opposed to the left handside where attach files is located and to me would make more sense.

I agree, seems a bit odd that you've done them both in bright red by default too. I get that it's YouTube's colours, but feels very overpowering.

IMO they should be the same design as the attach files button, as they're all variations on attaching something. Or at least a much more subtle red.

Being bright red makes it the most prominent call to action button on the screen, when in reality it will probably get far few clicks than the post reply button, which should be the most prominent and easy to find button below the editor.

Aren't these options all standard with xF 2.1? You can upload video, audio, embed youtube, xf gallery media, etc all from the editor now.

Top Bottom