Voice and Video Messages [Deleted]

Good work @TMA

However, I think the UX is too complicated. Too many permissions to be given by the user and then signing up to youtube, signing in, etc...

For the average member, this will prove a bit complicated. I am not sure you can do anything about it though, those are Google restrictions.

@joroom The complexity is really only if someone doesn't have a youtube account, and if so, it's largely a one-time thing. If someone is willing to record a video or voice message, it's not that big of a hurdle.

The default permissions have just been reduced, thank you for this suggestion.

Interesting - I've actually been working with a developer on something similar... however now that this add-on is created I don't need to develop this part. :) The one big difference between what I was trying to do and this add-on is I wanted a copy of the video. My thought here is if YouTube ever changes their policy and starts charging for connections (like Photobucket did), you potentially would lose the content. Therefore my plan was to:
1) Allow video uploads. During the upload the video would:
- save to the server on cheap storage in a way that could be recovered (probably via a script) if it ever was needed.
- Post it to youtube either in parallel (at the time of the upload) or in some sort of batch process.

Thoughts?

Reactions: TMA
Although that way doesn't work for technical reasons, there are methods to achieve what you are looking for. It is out of the scope of this plugin, though, and has special requirements. If interested having this custom developed, e-mail with your offer to help@tma.li.

TMA updated Voice and Voice Messages with a new update entry:

Voice and Video Messages v1.1.0

Changes:
  • You can host voice and video messages on your local server, without YouTube! This is now the default mode
  • It's faster and easier for members to post messages in the default mode
  • In YouTube mode, you can now select default visibility (public or unlisted)
  • Message recording buttons are now on the far right side of the attachment buttons for better UX
  • "Voice Messages and Video Uploads" is now "Voice and Video Messages"
  • New demo video available, and live demo...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Last edited:
Will this allow a member to record a video live into our site or only pre-recorded uploads?

If I pay for 3 month license, does the addon still work after 3 months, just no bug updates until I renew or does it require license to continue?

Reactions: TMA
Can the voice messages be enabled only on specific forums?
Does it work on mobile only? I tried to click on voice button on desktop version and did not work

At this time it can only be controlled by usergroup.

then I can't install it.
I have a soccer board where abuses are common.
If I enable the voice messages on any forum it will be a mess.

I wanted to give it a try and install it on a specific forum only called "the voice of the fans", but as of now I can't

By the way: voice button continue to not work on desktop (your demo link)

Top Bottom