Virginmedia connection cutting out.

Shelley

As the title says I have been with virginmedia for the past 7 years or so but recently (for 2 months now) my connection keeps cutting out every two minutes most days whilst on a good day my connection will cut out every 15 minutes and remain out from 2 mins to about 20 minutes sometimes longer.

So when it cuts out I have noticed this when i log into my router settings (screenshot below) shows that the ip address disappears along with the virgin media dns and other stuff (I'm not an expert on networking).

Just wondering if there's any experts or people going through similar problems that know what the issue can be and why this is happening.

I do plan on contacting their terrible support but wanted to see if there was anything on my end i could do. When it does go out all connected devices (media hub, mobile devices) cannot connect to the wifi so I eliminated the fact theat it's just my pc hardware that could be the problem.

virginmedia.webp

"When it does go out all connected devices (media hub, mobile devices) cannot connect to the wifi so I eliminated the fact theat it's just my pc hardware that could be the problem."

So the router or firmware are the most likely issue. Is there someone nearby using the same WiFi band?

There are other people using in my area an N class router on virginmedia but I tried changing the channels but the same thing keeps happening. On a side note even when i connect the wester digital home media hub through wired (ethernet) << if that's what it's called I still don't have access to the internet through it. So when the ip, dns vanishes (internet cuts out) both wireless and wired devices cannot connect through to the internet.

I have a few steps you can take Shelley if you would like to pm me.

But remember...if you change your settings on your router drastically...it is not a bad idea to reset your modem device and power off for 1 minute at least so as you can effect a change letting the modem cold boot with your router connected to it already and powered on.

Shelly I have been having similar issues recently though for me it is all about the wireless connection I.E. it is dropping ALL wireless clients and takes a reset of the router to be able to reconnect but wired clients are still able to connect.

Your case of loosing the IP address and Gateway details seems strange, and could be quite difficult to fix... just to help with the diagnostic though what is your setup? Do you have modem going into a router or do you have Virigin's Super Hub?

and takes a reset of the router to be able to reconnect but wired clients are still able to connect.
That sounds like a router problem.
I have similar issues at times.
My router is in the ceiling and it's hard to get to as well !
I am going to try upgrading the router firmware to see if that helps.

Shelley, do you have the blue modem, in addition to the router? The blue modem is notorious for doing exactly what you describe, and caused me no end of strife earlier this year.

Shelley, do you have the blue modem, in addition to the router? The blue modem is notorious for doing exactly what you describe, and caused me no end of strife earlier this year.

I phoned them up today and the support guy tested the modem and said the power levels are too high which is causing the connection to cut on and off. From what I could understand is that they're sending a new router out and should arrive within 2-3 working days.

The router/modem i'm using is the black version, the Virgin Media Hub modem router
http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadband/broadband-extras/wireless-routers.html

And GAH!!! BT have just put back the date for the roll-out of Infinity in my area until next year! B&*^£$£s!

And GAH!!! BT have just put back the date for the roll-out of Infinity in my area until next year! B&*^£$£s!

Count yourself lucky that they plan on introducing Infinity to your area, there's no plans yet in my area otherwise I would have switched and had a smile on my face just like those people in the commercials.

I'm really hopeful that the new router will stop the issues I'm having. My previous router was temperamental (it was a grey model) but this one now is just plain ridiculous which has caused nothing but problems from the day I purchased it. If the issues persist when the next one arrives I'm definitely moving away from virginmedia even if it means no internet.

Guys, be careful when accepting routers [ahem; in addition to your modem] from cable companies. That means adding more costs to your cable bill.

Comcast recently did this to my mother - claiming that my router [one that I bought] is "theirs" so they add 8 dollars more per month. This had me confused the other day when I was discussing about replacing my current router... Then out of nowhere she starts saying "your router?" So, be very careful with the router/modem wording with any cable company.

I'm really hopeful that the new router will stop the issues I'm having. My previous router was temperamental (it was a grey model) but this one now is just plain ridiculous which has caused nothing but problems from the day I purchased it.
I hope everything works out for you....
If the issues persist when the next one arrives I'm definitely moving away from virginmedia even if it means no internet.
What would we do with no Shelley?! :eek::cry:

Seriously? How did you expect anything that is powered by virgins not to experience power failures? We're not creating them as fast as we're losing them. :LOL:

That sounds like a router problem.
I have similar issues at times.
My router is in the ceiling and it's hard to get to as well !
I am going to try upgrading the router firmware to see if that helps.

I know, the problem is I am with Virgin Media's 100MB connection which requires the use of their superhub (Router and modem combined) and they won't admit it is a router problem! SO annoying!

Guys, be careful when accepting routers [ahem; in addition to your modem] from cable companies. That means adding more costs to your cable bill.

Comcast recently did this to my mother - claiming that my router [one that I bought] is "theirs" so they add 8 dollars more per month. This had me confused the other day when I was discussing about replacing my current router... Then out of nowhere she starts saying "your router?" So, be very careful with the router/modem wording with any cable company.

Luckly there is none of that happening in the UK, a router is given away free of charge to drive more customers! The biggest problem here is both BT and Virgin are now releasing Hubs (BT Home Hub, Virgin Super Hub) which are combined router & modem and cases major issues if you want to use your own router or when the hub they sends keeps dropping your connection and they refuse to replace it!

Luckly there is none of that happening in the UK, a router is given away free of charge to drive more customers! The biggest problem here is both BT and Virgin are now releasing Hubs (BT Home Hub, Virgin Super Hub) which are combined router & modem and cases major issues if you want to use your own router or when the hub they sends keeps dropping your connection and they refuse to replace it!

BT Infinity consists of a seperate router and modem. The Terms of Service state you can replace the router but not the modem as they deem that the end of the demarcation point. I have had BT Infinity for several months and have not experienced any form of outage. The only thing I did do was replace the router.

The BT Home Hub is the hardware they supply for their ADSL service?

Top Bottom