1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not Planned vB/xF bridge?

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by steven s, Sep 20, 2010.

1. steven s

steven s Well-Known Member

Don't know if this has been mentioned.
    Searching came up with nothing or maybe I didn't go back far enough.

There are some addons in vB3 that I want to retain.
    I'd like to close my vB3 forum but keep some of the addons with a common login until everything is ported over.

CallieJo, Tim, HenrikHansen and 3 others like this.
  2. gordy

gordy Well-Known Member

Fascinating idea, instead of a full on conversion, a parallel-read-only for the community to acclimate..

3. DoctorWatsOn

DoctorWatsOn Well-Known Member

Funny, I’ve been thinking how the hell can I use XF without a calendar function, I guess a bridge making common the logins would make it possible.

4. HenrikHansen

HenrikHansen Well-Known Member

A bridge would ALSO mean that you can start NEW forums with the same userbase as you have. That would really be highly useful. Where do I go with my dollars to get this done? :D

5. cedivad

cedivad Active Member

Wtf?
    Can i call this crazy???

6. steven s

steven s Well-Known Member

I hadn't thought about it that way, but yes. I could still use my garage addon, a special forum as a knowledge base. Could even use my Photopost gallery.

7. Trevor

Trevor Active Member

Bridging competitor forums?
    That's like bridging IPB and vBulletin or MyBB with phpBB.

Doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

8. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

I would say that if you need to retain those add-ons, then stay on vB until they are made and then port it all over to XF. Expecting Mike and Kier to work on a vB bridge would be kind of crazy and I imagine slightly difficult, especially since they are two completely different code bases.

Not to mention where one would draw the line. IPB users would then want an IPB bridge. phpBB users would then want the same, etc. I think it's just better to wait for the add-ons you want to be made for XF and then transfer it all later rather than doing it right away.

9. HenrikHansen

HenrikHansen Well-Known Member

Most bridges are done by private developers, like the vbulletin/drupal bridge and vbulletin/wordpress bridge. No one expects that Mike and Kier should work on that instead of developing on xenforo.

gordy likes this.
  10. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

But it's posted in this forum as a suggestion for XF, hence the response I made.