Resource icon

Vanity Names 1.1.2

No permission to download

Liam W

in memoriam 1998-2020
Liam W submitted a new resource:

Vanity Names - Quick access links to user profiles!

Ok, so here is my release of a requested addon!

This addon allows a user to choose a 'vanity name' via their personal details page.

They can then go to <sitedomain>/<vanity name> to view their profile.

They can also use <vanity name>.<sitedomain>, however due to loads of issues I've had I set this to redirect back the main URL (<sitedomain>/<vanityname>).

It is permissions controlled - only users with permission can set their vanity name.

The vanity name can only contain letters, numbers...

Read more about this resource...

Last edited:
Wow good job! Okay question. If I do not have multiple domain SSL, will I still be able to use this with SSL?

I only have a single domain SSL. I don't care about the username.forum.com option, the forum.com/username is fine.

Does the forum.com/username format require multidomain SSL?

Wow good job! Okay question. If I do not have multiple domain SSL, will I still be able to use this with SSL?

I only have a single domain SSL. I don't care about the username.forum.com option, the forum.com/username is fine.

Does the forum.com/username format require multidomain SSL?

Nope, the latter doesn't require multi ssl - it's on the main domain.

Technically, if you only redirect to SSL after this addon redirects the subdomain, it'll work, but that's a bit more complex ;)

Liam

Nope, the latter doesn't require multi ssl - it's on the main domain.

Technically, if you only redirect to SSL after this addon redirects the subdomain, it'll work, but that's a bit more complex ;)

Liam
Okay great. I do not want or need the username.forum.com option. I want to be able to use SSL for one domain only cause that's what I have. If I install SSL on my site again, will it cause the multidomain subdomain SSL errors since this addon allows for username.forum.com? Can't we just turn off that function or disallow that?

Okay great. I do not want or need the username.forum.com option. I want to be able to use SSL for one domain only cause that's what I have. If I install SSL on my site again, will it cause the multidomain subdomain SSL errors since this addon allows for username.forum.com? Can't we just turn off that function or disallow that?

If people go to that, and you redirect to ssl, and you have the wildcard dns setup, then yes - ssl errors may appear.

Easy solution: Don't enable wildcard dns, and don't mention the subdomain one ;)

Liam

If people go to that, and you redirect to ssl, and you have the wildcard dns setup, then yes - ssl errors may appear.

Easy solution: Don't enable wildcard dns, and don't mention the subdomain one ;)

Liam
In "Vanity Name" your description says: "If this is set, you can link to your profile from / or .."

So I should just change that phrase (is that a phrase?) to "Set the name for your profile page. For example. site.com/username"

In "Vanity Name" your description says: "If this is set, you can link to your profile from / or .."

So I should just change that phrase (is that a phrase?) to "Set the name for your profile page. For example. site.com/username"
It's a phrase, just change it :)

Last edited:
Reactions: DRE
Do we need to do anything else other than install to get this working? I have two problems:

1) I put my vanity name and it doesn't work
2) when i try to change my vanity name it gives me an error: "someone has already chosen that vanity name, please choose a different one!"

Could we have an option to reserve names for staff & future using?

Will be in next version.

Do we need to do anything else other than install to get this working? I have two problems:

1) I put my vanity name and it doesn't work
2) when i try to change my vanity name it gives me an error: "someone has already chosen that vanity name, please choose a different one!"

Has someone chosen the name you're changing it to? What did you change it to...?

When you say it doesn't work, how doesn't it work? Did you go to /<vanityname>?

It gives me a requested page could not be found error message when i visit my vanityname page. Do I need to have anything special in my htaccess file?

It gives me a requested page could not be found error message when i visit my vanityname page. Do I need to have anything special in my htaccess file?

You are including the forum directory in the URL right?

Is it a xf error or an apache error?

Liam W updated Vanity Names with a new update entry:

Restricted Names, Edit in AdminCP & Bugfix

Restricted Names

In the options for this addon, you can now list words that cannot be used as names.

They can be used as names by administrators however, see below.

Edit in AdminCP

You can now edit a users vanity name in the AminCP, under the 'Personal Details' tab.

When editing via this method, restricted names are not checked.

Bugfix

There is no longer an error when you remove your vanity name.
Case sensitivity fixed - User was classed...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Top Bottom