Using DigitalOcean Spaces or Amazon S3 for file storage in XF 2.1+

Using DigitalOcean Spaces or Amazon S3 for file storage in XF 2.1+

No permission to download
I hope to see some errors which related to my add-ons but it's does not.
The problem is that the installation of your add-on doesn't go through. The error shown in the screenshot is received before the installation is completed. There are no entries in the server error log regarding your addon.

The problem is that the installation of your add-on doesn't go through. The error shown in the screenshot is received before the installation is completed. There are no entries in the server error log regarding your addon.
It's may be conflict with Guzzle dependencies. Some of our libs which install Guzzle 7.2 not sure if this is problem.

To the best of my knowledge it works fine with PHP 8.0.

The different guzzle version may be related but that’s not something we can do anything about at this stage.

It's may be conflict with Guzzle dependencies. Some of our libs which install Guzzle 7.2 not sure if this is problem.
Why you libs installs Guzzle, that conflicts with other plugins?
We use the Guzzle version, which is integrated by default in XF 2.2.2 and all installed add-ons work without errors.
1610889188836.png

1610889235968.png
Why are you making life difficult for your current and potential clients?
Fix plz 🙏

Last edited:
Great work! Got it working kinda but with annoying error when i upload an avatar i receive the following error

"Oops! We ran into some problems. Please try again later. More error details may be in the browser console."

but ignoring the error uploads the avatar anyways to S3 :unsure: anyway i can make this error go away since it's working regardless

Edited:

Resolved it's related to an add-on disabled it for now until fixed.

Last edited:
I think after all this time I am gonna try this finally out. Hope it goes well. Does anyone use StackPath? It looks like the cheapest solution until one reaches 600GB which then Wasabi looks like the best. I hope one doesn't need to use their CDN.

I am not sure about Stackpath... They don't do any backups/snapshots.
And they limit egress (I believe that means downloading) to only what I have in my storage.
So say I uploaded 10 GB files. I can only download 10 GB of files because of egress.
But how am I supposed to backup my files daily/weekly? I can't just throw my files at them without a backup.

Need to look for another provider I guess.

PS: Chat support told me that they use Wasabi as their provider for storage -.-

Last edited:
S3 is where it's at.
Put cloudflare in front of it and it will cache on their edges.

I have 20gb of images on s3 and it costs about 15 cents a day.

Reactions: sbj
S3 is where it's at.
Put cloudflare in front of it and it will cache on their edges.

I have 20gb of images on s3 and it costs about 15 cents a day.
Not sure about that. It means you pay 4.5 dollars for 30 days for 20 GB!
For 6 dollars you get 1000GB from wasabi. Even DO Spaces gets you 250GB for that money.
Stackpath would have been 1 cent per day.

Last edited:
Do you guys use this to backup your files to a object storage server or actually use it without having the "original files" on your server?

When I was using object storage, every now and then I would run rclone to backup the data on my onedrive. Doesn't take long after the initial backup.

When I was using object storage, every now and then I would run rclone to backup the data on my onedrive. Doesn't take long after the initial backup.
I meant like if you guys actually use this addon to backup your original files or not.

So the live site still has all the attachments on the live server, but you also use S3 to backup the files. Or if you guys don't have any attachments on your live server but really use S3 to serve your files. Cause Stackpath for example makes only sense if you use their S3 as a backup of your original files and not for a live production site.

This addon doesn't store attachments local if it's enabled and configured correctly.

You would have to move/copy files from server to s3 and vice versa. If you use it and then stop using it at a later time.

This addon doesn't store attachments local if it's enabled and configured correctly.

You would have to move/copy files from server to s3 and vice versa. If you use it and then stop using it at a later time.
Ah, okay. I was remembering it wrong then. I believe I mixed it up with xfrocks addon which lets you to have both.

all attachment data is on s3 (us-east) which is in virginia.
I also run my cpanel backup to a separate bucket on (us-west) which is in oregon.
My server is in new york.
So, i have not only offloaded my attachments, but also have a regional disaster recovery in mind. I'm trusting that the s3 buckets replicate enough.

I make a local back about once a year on my local PC. That is expensive to download though. I'm considering making a glacier bucket overseas for this instead in the future.

If ny, va, and or all blow up at the same time, i'm pretty sure the last thing i'll be caring about is my website :D

Top Bottom