Using DigitalOcean Spaces or Amazon S3 for file storage in XF 2.1+

Using DigitalOcean Spaces or Amazon S3 for file storage in XF 2.1+

No permission to download
Support with other providers is really beyond the scope of support in the context of the instructions provided here.

You'd probably be better off with your own thread.

@Chris D - does this addon only send video uploads to S3/Digital Ocean?

If not, is it possible to only send videos there and keep all other uploads on my main server?

Thanks!

Videos are stored in the data directory along with avatars and thumbnails.

So you could just follow the instructions but only the ones which refer to data and not internal_data.

But you can’t be more granular than that unfortunately.

So you could just follow the instructions but only the ones which refer to data and not internal_data.

And that would mean only images and other attachments would be stored on the main server? Not sure if there's any advantage to that for me actually lol

So if I do this switch to S3, then is it mandatory that my existing content gets moved over? Or can I leave that intact and only have new uploads go to S3?

Thanks Chris!

Ok thanks for your help @Chris D !

So all I would need to move is my /internal data and /data folders to another server (S3/DigitalOcean Spaces) and I keep all other files and folders (i.e. src, js, etc.) intact on my main server?

Last edited:
Wouldn't the XenForo system still have to stream the content via the forum server to maintain security containers?

It appears everything is uploading properly through the attachment system, but I'm noticing that I can't delete files from the ACP Attachment Browser anymore (I see the file listed, but when I delete it, it is still in the /internal data folder in DigitalOcean Spaces).

@Chris D - Does this mean if I offload to DO or S3 that I can't manage my files anymore in ACP?

You would likely notice the same behaviour whether you had DO Spaces enabled or not. It is the normal behaviour.

Files aren't deleted immediately. They are deleted by cron entry after a period of time.

Ok great! Thanks @Chris D ! Just double checking...

/data and /internal data are the only two folders that needed to be moved, right? /data is set to public and /internal data is kept private?

Thanks again. :)

Are the attached file permissions in Admincp applied?
Thanks
Yes, the data/ folder should be configured as public while internal_data/ should be configured private. XenForo serves directly from data/ while serving internal_data/ through the internal system to apply attachment permissions.

should we download AWS SDK and place somewhere because simply adding these lines
Code:
\XFAws\Composer::autoloadNamespaces(\XF::app());
\XFAws\Composer::autoloadPsr4(\XF::app());
\XFAws\Composer::autoloadClassmap(\XF::app());
\XFAws\Composer::autoloadFiles(\XF::app());
gives errors

Hi, i have some questions about this addon.

1º- This addon sync old files datastorage to the new one?
2º- Can we choose what type of files to remote upload or this is for all files uploaded by users?
3º- Wen someone is downloading a file the traffic is directly from (Amazon S3) to the user or goes to the server ip(forum) and then to the user, so this way the user cant see the the real ip from amazon, only the forum ip?

@Chris D,

If this possible, how much money do you ask for doing this for me? Like a paid custom service?

I can pay the storage (i don't know if Amazon or Digital Ocean is better) and can you set up my XF for me?

I'm only asking because i can see the tutorial is very good, but very techinical and i don't think that i have the necessary knowledgement for doing something like this.

Top Bottom