Usernotes for the Staff [Deleted]

Dan

ExtraLicense submitted a new resource:

Usernotes for the Staff - This addon creates a central place to allow staff members to discuss members.

Usernotes
by ExtraLicense
Just a note, this is a Moderator tool and does not allow the users to keep notes.​
This addon creates a central place to allow staff members to discuss members and keep the information in a central location rather than in a staff only forum where it could get lost.
Usernotes adds a tab to the...

Read more about this resource...

Dear sweet EL you are a gentleman.
Your work is so elegantly designed.

Later on I would like to ask you to consider a way to tag users as part of this.
I think I'm dreaming another addon which would work WITH this one.
Tag user as New (auto set on first month)
Silent / Chatty (eg less or more than x posts a month)

Manual tags by mods Vulnerable - Honours - Merit - Problematic ....various -- Plagiarism - a problem on one of our boards, manual tag by mod.
Custom tags.
Admin (or permitted Mod) can toggle a Tag status to be publicly seen by other members on the Memberlist + Userbit.
SEARCHABLE to get list of all who have X tag.

Thanks for adding this. Please consider to add:
- one central place for staff to see all usernotes. For example by copying these to a staff thread or report center.
- categorize usernotes into positive, negative(problematic) and neutral.

Especially the first suggestion would make a world of difference for big boards where usernotes are often overlooked.

- one central place for staff to see all usernotes. For example by copying these to a staff thread or report center.
I had this, but removed it because it was IMO useless, because it was too hard to find something because it was just a long paginated list. That's why i integrated it into the search.

Dear sweet EL you are a gentleman.
Your work is so elegantly designed.

Later on I would like to ask you to consider a way to tag users as part of this.
I think I'm dreaming another addon which would work WITH this one.
Tag user as New (auto set on first month)
Silent / Chatty (eg less or more than x posts a month)
Couldn't you use usergroups and user group promotion http://xenforo.com/help/user-group-promotions/ for this?

I had this, but removed it because it was IMO useless, because it was too hard to find something because it was just a long paginated list. That's why i integrated it into the search.
I think its important to consider the applications of usernotes and staff communication about users.

For example a user does something positive or negative that needs to be noted down. Its great that this can be added to the users profile. But then what?
How is the rest of the staff going to be made aware of this event? How is the rest of the staff going to find new usernotes when there are hundreds of thousands of profiles? Without some form of notification or addition to a staff thread / report it could take years before the rest of the staff sees the note. If ever.

What if the event is of major importance, like a user alleging to doing something illegal or causing some major rife amongst the community? The staff needs to be made aware of this. Therefore most of my staff will prefer to post a notification in the staff forums instead of a usernote. Optimally we would have both so that its visible on profile and in the staff forum / report center.

On my sites I have dedicated threads in the staff forum for:
  1. worrisome members
  2. rising members
  3. general member notes
Please consider to add functionality that would cater to this.

I think its important to consider the applications of usernotes and staff communication about users.
For example a user does something positive or negative that needs to be noted down. Its great that this can be added to the users profile. But then what?
How is the rest of the staff going to be made aware of this event? How is the rest of the staff going to find new usernotes

Excellent points. I don't think this is only about large sites with thousands of users either. I have tiny sites for workteams - 30 to 100 members per board/site. What you say applies to my boards too.

I think this probably splits into Simple Usernotes - the current addon, and

Usernotes Manager, which could
- create custom tags,
- flag up certain priority tags for moderation OR place user on a priority warning list.
- priority tags perhaps list these users in a display (like a notice) on a staff forum/ on all staff forums.
- search and generate a list of users who have a particular tag
- opt to make a tag visible to other users outside staff (their own usergroup, or others) making a basic merit/ demerit system.
- if visible tag shows on profile, membercard, userbit ? ? ?
- opt to notify user of acquiring a specific tag positive or negatve, and whether it is confidential or not.

Perhaps a separate discussion thread so this very nice addon is not swamped by development discussion
EL your thoughts invited.

Simple Usernotes would still be useful for greater detail.

How is the rest of the staff going to be made aware of this event? How is the rest of the staff going to find new usernotes when there are hundreds of thousands of profiles? Without some form of notification or addition to a staff thread / report it could take years before the rest of the staff sees the note. If ever.

What if the event is of major importance, like a user alleging to doing something illegal or causing some major rife amongst the community? The staff needs to be made aware of this. Therefore most of my staff will prefer to post a notification in the staff forums instead of a usernote. Optimally we would have both so that its visible on profile and in the staff forum / report center.

On my sites I have dedicated threads in the staff forum for:
  1. worrisome members
  2. rising members
  3. general member notes
Please consider to add functionality that would cater to this.

I'm not sure about this.

1. Wouldn't warnings work for you?

2. back to your suggestions:
Does really EVERY team member needs a notification when somebody gets a usernote?This would be really annoying on big boards.
I'm not saying that your idea is bad, i was planing to add something similar, but xenforo includes the warnings tab already on users profile and is exactly doing what we need. This would just result in having the same messages 2-4x(thread, warning, usernote, probably conversation)

EL why not have admin option on who gets notification - default is admin.
Option to select usergroup or user.

What is this warning system you speak of?

Warnings are something different than usernotes. Usernotes can describe something positive, neutral or negative and are used mainly for staff eyes only. Warnings are infractions sent to the user.

User notes are often used to describe matters to alert the staff of matters brewing before they get out of hand. Thats why the staff needs to be made aware. User notes also can describe what happens after a warning. For example if a warned user reacts aggressive to the warning.

On a big board its often useful for the staff to be made aware of new users that make outstanding contributions, belong to important organizations or are otherwise noteworthy. For example: when I do manual usergroup promotions I always review the notes made by staff about our rising members. Often the members noted need to be considered for manual promotion.

You are correct that not all user notes are important enough to alert all staff about. It would be nice to be able to set importance/priority/severity levels.

Combination of Usernotes + Warnings + Awards.
(Awards to act like Warnings with permanent or limited period, but with congrats notification.)

All types show on the Usernotes for mods. Custom icon for each type.
All Awards, and selected Warnings icons show on profile, membercard, userbit, memberlist item, as well.
(Some warnings to stay confidential.) On profile display statement, same as notification statement giving reason.

Frontend lists searchable by mods on type of tag:
- Warning (hidden) Warning (public) Warning (All) and Awards. Summary list of all types, click to expand. one title of type, to see list of users.
Mod click username through to Usernote for details.
Priority Warnings and Awards alert mods.

Similar list of publicly viewable Warnings and Awards.

This addon works with XF 1.2 Beta1

Once XenForo 1.2 hits the RC Status, we're going to improve it

• remove our own fix for the tab selection
  • include edit history
  • fix the small style bugs

Hello. Just bought this and there is a bug.
The search is ignoring the Usernotes only search checkbox.

I went into a members' user note and did a search for 'test' with the Usernotes only checkbox ticked.

1.webp

The search results ignored this tickbox settings.

2.webp

We are running the vanilla search (not Elastic Search yet).

Reactions: Dan
thx for reporting.

I don't have access to a usernotes 1.0 version ATM but in my current dev version of 1.1 i can't reproduce this anymore.
We changed big parts of the code and the search had indeed a bug, but it happened only if "Search Usernotes on this Profile only" was checked.
I'll come back to this once i'm at home:)

Attachments

• usernotesbug.webp
    usernotesbug.webp
    28 KB · Views: 8
Thanks for replying. Incidentally the user notes in vBulletin 3 include a note title. I don't know whether or not this is necessary for user notes. My instinct is that it's not. But it complicates the import process.

Top Bottom