User map [Deleted]

Everybody lives in London!

So in an update about to be released, any duplicate points are now randomly plotted in a circle of your choosing. For this demo I have placed hundreds of users in London. Normally this would show up as a single pin at Nelson's column.
Here, I have specified the circle to be 5000m.

Obviously you can change to to be smaller if you have fewer duplicates.

Update coming soon :)

View attachment 137958
Ok, I'm working with the ACP settings and adjusting "Duplicate placement area" to try and avoid overlapping pins. I'm going for a nice distribution where folks are not hidden. Try as I might, I still get this:

IMG_3937.webp

With LOTS of people buried in the stack. Does anyone know a way around this?

Thanks in advance!

M

What you've got is a lot of users putting Atlanta as their location. They'll pile on top of each other.

You could use the duplicate location field - what have you got the value set to? The distance from one side of Atlanta to the other is around 16 miles. If you set it that many meters it would spread them out.

It won't be perfect either because you're zoomed out. If you zoom in it'll declutter a bit but still be very dense.

What you've got is a lot of users putting Atlanta as their location. They'll pile on top of each other.

You could use the duplicate location field - what have you got the value set to? The distance from one side of Atlanta to the other is around 16 miles. If you set it that many meters it would spread them out.

It won't be perfect either because you're zoomed out. If you zoom in it'll declutter a bit but still be very dense.
Got it, thanks. I currently have "Duplicate placement area (meters)" set to 4,000. It seems like this may need a secondary parameter like "min pixels between pins". Which could then be set to 10 or 25. You probably then have strange things at low zoom, but perhaps the heat map settings would resolve?

The problem (might be) with that is it becomes quite expensive for the user and their machine. With a map like yours which is already pretty busy it could make the plotting quite sluggish. I need to get the point, plot it, look to see if it is duplicate, if so, find a random spot, look around there to see if there is another point within n pixels, if there is, find another random point etc. It could be a bit nasty for the browser.

I intend moving the hard work back to the server to save the client the grief of all this. There are a number of things which could be shifted back to the server now. This would be one of them. All this "hard" work would be done on your server and map the map a lot snappier than it is now.

As for your users in Atlanta, zoom in two clicks and it opens up quite nicely. They're not as overlapped as the screenshot you show.
upload_2017-4-26_23-21-55.webp

I see in 4.0.1 there is a separate table now for user map entries. However, it's InnoDB. Are you planning on converting this to MyISAM and adding Spatial indexing?

I'm getting this error when trying to create users manually in the ACP.

They go away if I disable this add on

upload_2017-4-28_17-21-9.webp

I have some questions for my needs:

1. I need a map starting from one country
2. I want only one or two usergroups to be shown
3. Maybe it is better to show only the users who have set up this for themselves. Is it possible?
4. Can i tell Google in which language i want to have my map?

Thank you very much.

Hi, can you please send me the patch so I can temporally uninstall this add-on from my board? I need to get it off. There are just too many things that are not currently working or causing me problems and it's taking too long.

I installed v3.6 then upgraded to v4.0, but I cannot uninstall it. It comes up saying field not found.

Again, please send me something so I can remove this add-on for now.

Thank You...

If you PM me RSI I can send you the patch, you have conversations disabled.

Hi that was just the user map patch file and he had already sent me that. The problem is there is a field or fields missing in the database that it's looking for when it tries to uninstall the add-on. "The requested field could not be found."

I need the patch so I can uninstall everything without it stopping. I didn't realize there was a problem with the uninstall until it was too late and all of my backups are of after this add-on was installed. I could probably remove all of it manually, but I have too much customization of certain temples so I can’t just restore them to xenforo default. It would create a ton of work going back trying to remember what I did to customize the templates.

Last edited:
Quick question regarding the updates:
I purchased version 3.2.1 in November 2016.
The license should be valid for 12 months.
How do I get the update to 4.0?

Thanks
Michael

Does anyone have the "Full Screen" option working? I have the option set in the ACP, but don't see how to do it on the front end. Could be user error.

Thanks!

M

Does anyone have the "Full Screen" option working? I have the option set in the ACP, but don't see how to do it on the front end. Could be user error.

Thanks!

There are several things that are not working correctly with this add-on and it's the reason I uninstalled it. Also, go into your ACP tools menu and run the Rebuild User Caches and see what happens. It just wanted to hang on my board. It completed after several minutes went by, but with this add-on uninstalled it finishes almost instantly again. This developer appears to be taking his sweet time and has not taken care of any of these issues yet :unsure:

It seems lots of users aren't getting plotted in the right place anymore.

On lots of my recent registrations they have a proper location, as always, but when viewed on the map they all show in the ocean :confused: When I zoom in there's only every one pin point, but it's a different user each time I zoom out then in again.

upload_2017-5-9_11-14-49.webp

It seems lots of users aren't getting plotted in the right place anymore.

On lots of my recent registrations they have a proper location, as always, but when viewed on the map they all show in the ocean :confused: When I zoom in there's only every one pin point, but it's a different user each time I zoom out then in again.

View attachment 152205

If you enter the API key in the format below it will correct that incorrect ocean location (I had the same problem), but then when new people try to register it will give them an error that says the API has rejected them so you cannot use it. Using just the standard API worked with v3.6, but it got messed up in v4.0.

https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/ap...e+Parkway,+Mountain+View,+CA&key=YOUR_API_KEY

Last edited:
Ah, okay, any chance of a fix @CrispinP so all addresses work properly again?

I didn't realise I was missing all these members when sending out event invites as they're not appearing on the map in the right place.

How do I not get emails that there is a conversation going on?? :( Sorry folks!

Ok, it seems some are having problems encoding the location. I cannot for the life of me recreate the problems (I've been working with Michael on this)

Some questions to try help:
  1. Do you have it enable on registration?
  2. Do you have Map Location or normal built-in location set?
  3. Does it happen with all users or some?
  4. Does it happen with only registration or are there other instances?
  5. Are there any errors in ACP relating to this?

If it's a google denial thing then there should be errors in ACP. if not, I am stumped while I cannot recreate it.

I'm putting in an addition now to log it. This should help diagnose things a bit better.

Can you send me the very latest version with everything working like the uninstall? I can try it by doing a clean install then report back. Before I had upgraded from v3.6 to v4.0 and there could have been some issues doing that.

Top Bottom