User map [Deleted]

urm, I emailed it to everyone. Perhaps I've dropped you off the list ( :(

Can you CP me your paypal email and I'll check what's going on.

ah yes, sorry for the confusion.

3.2.1 is what you should have. I released 3.2 and found a small bug so just emailed you the updated version which is 3.2.1

Did you manage to install it ok?

For what is this option?
Could anybody eleborate this option?

Enable automatic geo-location when a user saves their profile

For what is this option?

If you turn it off then the plug in stops working out their location when they save.

Is there an easy way to have the map show up under Members > User Map on my forum:
Pretty sure it does . Think that was the first place I added it .

For what is this option?

If you turn it off then the plug in stops working out their location when they save.

@CrispinP, sorry but I still don't get it.
If this option is turned off then their usermap field is not saved or what?
What this option do regarding user map location/field/map?

And another question, If I set to turn off usermap custom field and use default location field, what will be happened with users that have stupid locations entries (planet earth, sfsefe, etc...)? Will they have pin on map or not?
if yes, how to disable their pins until they put some normal location?

Same question with custom map location field.

@CrispinP, sorry but I still don't get it.
If this option is turned off then their usermap field is not saved or what?
What this option do regarding user map location/field/map?
When checked the user's location is decoded when they save their profile. When unchecked, the user cannot effectively update their pin location.
The reason it's there to turn on and off is that if Google rejects your query then the user profile does not actually get saved.
So, to stop the add-on causing trouble for your whole site I allow you to turn it on and off.
If you leave it off then nothing will update as you expect it.

And another question, If I set to turn off usermap custom field and use default location field, what will be happened with users that have stupid locations entries (planet earth, sfsefe, etc...)? Will they have pin on map or not?
if yes, how to disable their pins until they put some normal location?

Nothing - they will not encode and the user will not have a pin. That is exactly why I have two fields :-
  • One for the comedians who want "far far away" as their public location and
  • One for the map location
If you put in something, in either field, which google does not understand, then they will not get a pin on the map.

to clarify something else - if a user has a valid location and valid pin - say, London - and you put in "bla bla" their new location will not be saved and the London pin will remain in place.

When checked the user's location is decoded when they save their profile. When unchecked, the user cannot effectively update their pin location.
The reason it's there to turn on and off is that if Google rejects your query then the user profile does not actually get saved.
So, to stop the add-on causing trouble for your whole site I allow you to turn it on and off.
If you leave it off then nothing will update as you expect it.
So in short, I have to turn it on, for my users be able to add their location and show on usermap

Nothing - they will not encode and the user will not have a pin. That is exactly why I have two fields :-
  • One for the comedians who want "far far away" as their public location and
  • One for the map location
If you put in something, in either field, which google does not understand, then they will not get a pin on the map.
Correct, but they can be able to see usermap because they have something filled in field.
So there is no option that user can not see usermap if his location is not valid (planet mars for example)?
There is now only option to not show usermap to user if he has not fill map location, but if he just put letter "a", he can see usermap even if it is not valid enter/pin.
I just want to show usermap to all usergroups, but only for users which have valid pin

I added "&region=au" to the Google Geo-Encoding API URL @ /admin.php?options/list/crispin_usermaps ( making it https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/geocode/json?sensor=true&region=au ) as per https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/geocoding/intro#RegionCodes and all seems to still be working fine.
That's very good to know. I can add a default region. Thanks for the feedback.
Updates should not break it. I'll include the default region into the next release if it does not break anything.

Now, if only I could run a (re)mass-update on pins/locations outside my region, so that Google Maps API would geocode them again and now likely bring them back into my region. :D;):whistle:

@Sunka
In the latter case - yes. A failed location lookup won't clear the previous value.
I could look at putting a way in to say a failed lookup clears the pin. This could be controlled from ACP.

I am not sure that I expressed my self clear.
My english is complicated sometimes :cry:

I just ask is there a solution that if user put some strange value that google can not read, than Pin will not be set, and user field will be cleared (not saved).
And with that option, permission set so all usergroups (except guests) can see map, but only users which have valid pin on map.

I am not sure that I expressed my self clear.
My english is complicated sometimes
Lol, your English is better than my Croatian :) Nothing wrong with what you're saying :)

I just ask is there a solution that if user put some strange value that google can not read, than Pin will not be set, and user field will be cleared (not saved).
And with that option, permission set so all usergroups (except guests) can see map, but only users which have valid pin on map.

Both you and I are talking about the same thing. At the moment it does not do what you want it to but it's not unreasonable to do it that way. I'll put an option in the ACP to allow that behaviour soon.

So, with the help of the existing permissions, it will work like this:
  1. Permissions set to only show for those who have a valid location.
  2. You have a valid location - London
  3. You have a pin on the map and you can see the pin/map
  4. You update your location to be Mars. The update fails.
  5. Your pin is cleared (Your location stays what you entered though - Mars)
  6. Because you now don't have a valid location the permissions will stop you from seeing the map.
See, at the moment, it behaves like that up to point 4. Point 5 and 6 don't happen.

I think we agree? :)

Top Bottom