User map [Deleted]

Hi @CrispinP !

Feature Request: Import Locations

I love the map feature! It is working great and providing value to our users!

It would be great to be able to import other types of locations to display, for example, a list of good quality auto shops. This is not a small feature, but would expand the utility of the map feature quite a bit!

Location Import Feature:
  1. Ability to add new location category in ACP
  2. Bulk import list from csv to the category in ACP with name, location, other details (use modified profile card template for display?)
  3. Ability to update list with csv import
  4. Ability for users of group x to add a location to category list from the map
  5. Support unique icon and color for category
  6. Filter category view on map
  7. List export
  8. Ability for user group x to delete single entry or entire category
Michael

I noticed a few things when playing on your site, when viewing the map and you click on their membercard (at least when doing it for myself) it says they're viewing an unknown page, not the map.

When a location hasn't been set and you look at the map tab in a users profile it just shows the entire map with no info relevant to that users profile. It doesn't indicate that there is no user pin as the info hasn't been filled in or educate the user how to fill that in.

Telling the user they need to supply a location, and being able to edit the location directly from that page would be good, or at the very least a link direct to the personal details page so they can edit it there.

I didn't get any kind of location autocomplete when filling in the 'Map Location' field, is that available?

Is there any way to see how many users are in certain countries or cities? Or to select a country or city and get a list of the usernames like with this map add on?

That add on has a really cool feature where it will draw a path between you and another user when viewing their map location. Is that possible on yours?

:)

@Michael Murguia I'll drop you a line with some info. :)

I noticed a few things when playing on your site, when viewing the map and you click on their membercard (at least when doing it for myself) it says they're viewing an unknown page, not the map. When a location hasn't been set and you look at the map tab in a users profile it just shows the entire map with no info relevant to that users profile. It doesn't indicate that there is no user pin as the info hasn't been filled in or educate the user how to fill that in.
Good idea. I'll add it to the list.

I didn't get any kind of location autocomplete when filling in the 'Map Location' field, is that available?
There is a free add-on written for it :)
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/auto-complete-location.5191/update?update=19602
Not sure if it would be rude for me to put that feature in to my version... I'll have a chat with the author. :)

Is there any way to see how many users are in certain countries or cities? Or to select a country or city and get a list of the usernames like with this map add on?
Features like that are coming "soon". (i.e. they on the list of things to do :))

Hi, Is it possible to show a map current users by ip location?

I.e it would be great to be toggle between registered location and current location.

My site audience is predominantly Australian.
Many put 'Melbourne' as their location.
Google translates this to Melbourne, Florida (USA) instead of Melbourne, Australia
Anyone to set a default country for a single word Location, to avoid this scenario?

link-nav-user-message-block-png.136620

@CrispinP Is this block (presentation of posts, trophies, likes, etc.) a part of the style you are using, or an add-on? It's quite nice!

Anyone to set a default country for a single word Location, to avoid this scenario?
Try changing the api URL to .com.au in acp. Longshot but you never know.
I could append a default country to every call which might work . It might screw things up . I'll test a few scenarios .

Is this block (presentation of posts, trophies, likes, etc.) a part of the style you are using, or an add-on? It's quite nice

It is part of the style and using fontawesome. I think the style was called overhead.

C

Hey Crispin,

So how does it work with regards to getting the data to plot the pin?

Will the addon ever alter or overide the default Location Field for a user?

If there's some content in the field does it just read that and try to plot it? Or does it create a separate location value which it stores and then plots on the map?

How long does it take to update the map after a user changes their location?

I changed mine about an hour ago and it's not updated on the map.

So how does it work with regards to getting the data to plot the pin?
You need to fill in the Map Location field. From that it gets the details from Google as to where that is.

Will the addon ever alter or overide the default Location Field for a user?
No, it leaves that alone. Look back through the thread or the FAQ to see how that acts.

If there's some content in the field does it just read that and try to plot it? Or does it create a separate location value which it stores and then plots on the map?
It uses what you enter in the Map Location field.
If you do a mass-update then it uses the Map Locaiton field or the location field or the IP address (in that order)

How long does it take to update the map after a user changes their location?
Instant. But bear in mind it's the Map Location, not Location. Two different fields. The former is hidden if the group does not have access to view the maps.

I changed mine about an hour ago and it's not updated on the map.
See above - could you be using the wrong field?

C

Ahh right, I've just noticed the extra Map Location field, but it appears way below the all the other info on the personal details page.

I'd like there to be only one location field to keep it simple for users.

I did a mass update, and that added everyone to the map using their existing Location field I guess, then the by IP if it doesn't exist.

I've just checked a newly registered user and they don't have a pin on the map even though they have a default Location field value.

Is there a way the Map Location field can just always sync with the default location field so they don't have to set it twice, once at registration and again on their profile?

CrispinP updated User map with a new update entry:

Added functionality to use built-in Location field instead of custom field

A few people have asked for this so it's high time I got it done now :)

You can now control from ACP if you want to use a custom field for the location or use the built-in XenForo field.

By default now it will use the built-in field.

Take Note:
If you switch between the options the values will not move back and forth. You will need to do another mass-update or move the values in SQL.

Read the rest of this update entry...

ok, I've put a setting in the ACP now which will allow you to choose which to use - the built-in Location field or the custom field.
Choosing the built-in option will hide the custom value from the user as well.

Updates coming soon - just finishing off some testing.

Try changing the api URL to .com.au in acp. Longshot but you never know.
I could append a default country to every call which might work . It might screw things up . I'll test a few scenarios.
Unfortunately, that gave a 404 error. But ....

I added "&region=au" to the Google Geo-Encoding API URL @ /admin.php?options/list/crispin_usermaps ( making it https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/geocode/json?sensor=true&region=au ) as per https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/geocoding/intro#RegionCodes and all seems to still be working fine.

Will upgrades reset this back though?

Last edited:
That's very good to know. I can add a default region. Thanks for the feedback.

Updates should not break it. I'll include the default region into the next release if it does not break anything.

Take Note:
If you switch between the options the values will not move back and forth. You will need to do another mass-update or move the values in SQL.
Is there an existing SQL statement for this?
Since 'cum_map_location' is a point type and location is a varchar, I assume we cannot just set 'location' = 'cum_map_location'

Top Bottom