'URL Portion' - Any Advantages / Disadvantages?

TheBigK

I'm wondering whether I should leave the URL portion for the forums blank (default) or customize them. Can someone list out the advantages/disadvantages of URL portion?

Okay, I think it's a better idea to keep it as it is. But isn't that very general? If I change /announcements.61/ to something else, the links will still break.

Oh Boy! Thanks a lot :) (y) XenForo's amazing!
If you think that's awesome...

...Try moving threads over to a new category ...and the links won't break on move. A lot of forum software don't allow for this seamless move.

...Try moving threads over to a new category ...and the links won't break on move. A lot of forum software don't allow for this seamless move.

Hmm - are you saying that if I move from /community/forum.1/ to /community/forum.2/ , the links won't break?

Oh yeah! I think that's because the URLs do not have forum names! :)

Reactions: DBA

o_O What (major) forum software doesn't allow this?

Threads are in their own /threads/ "folder" so it doesn't matter where you move them to as the forum is never even referenced.
/community/threads/url-portion-any-advantages-disadvantages.27275/

o_O What (major) forum software doesn't allow this?
Not vBulletin! :eek:

In vB3, it's not possible to move a thread from forum A, to forum B without the thread url breaking.

The way vBulletin's thread ID system works, was different than the one we see in xF.

With vBSEO, the redirection script embedded allowed thread move to direct persons to that thread.

I just said vB3.

facepalm-picard.jpg

Not vBulletin! :eek:

In vB3, it's not possible to move a thread from forum A, to forum B without the thread url breaking.

The way vBulletin's thread ID system works, was different than the one we see in xF.
Huh? That is not true at all. Thread ID's do not change when a thread is moved in vB 3.

Sorry, I don't want this to turn snippy. Really, though, I've been running my forum on vBulletin since 2002, and I've never had to edit any URLs to any posts. I just moved a thread now to confirm the thread ID does not change (vB 3.8).

The advantage is it looks better.

The disadvantage is if you set it now and change it later, any links pointing to it will break.

For example, if this http://xenforo.com/community/forums/announcements/ was ever changed then that link would no longer work.

I can't find any specific info on 'URL Portion' - what exactly is this and what does it do? I mean I tried to enter a URL in that field but it doesn't accept? What is supposed to be put in their and in what format?

Thanks.

Top Bottom