1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'URL Portion' - Any Advantages / Disadvantages?

Discussion in 'General XenForo Discussion and Feedback' started by TheBigK, Feb 6, 2012.

1. TheBigK

TheBigK Well-Known Member

I'm wondering whether I should leave the URL portion for the forums blank (default) or customize them. Can someone list out the advantages/disadvantages of URL portion?

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

The advantage is it looks better.

The disadvantage is if you set it now and change it later, any links pointing to it will break.

For example, if this http://xenforo.com/community/forums/announcements/ was ever changed then that link would no longer work.

TheBigK likes this.
  3. TheBigK

Okay, I think it's a better idea to keep it as it is. But isn't that very general? If I change /announcements.61/ to something else, the links will still break.

4. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

5. TheBigK

Oh Boy! Thanks a lot :) (y) XenForo's amazing!

6. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

If you think that's awesome...

...Try moving threads over to a new category ...and the links won't break on move. A lot of forum software don't allow for this seamless move.

7. TheBigK

Hmm - are you saying that if I move from /community/forum.1/ to /community/forum.2/ , the links won't break?

Oh yeah! I think that's because the URLs do not have forum names! :)

DBA likes this.
  8. DBA

DBA Well-Known Member

o_O What (major) forum software doesn't allow this?

Threads are in their own /threads/ "folder" so it doesn't matter where you move them to as the forum is never even referenced.
    /community/threads/url-portion-any-advantages-disadvantages.27275/

9. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Not vBulletin! :eek:

In vB3, it's not possible to move a thread from forum A, to forum B without the thread url breaking.

The way vBulletin's thread ID system works, was different than the one we see in xF.

With vBSEO, the redirection script embedded allowed thread move to direct persons to that thread.

10. DBA

DBA Well-Known Member

In vB3 or vB4?

11. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

I just said vB3.

12. DBA

DBA Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

13. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Uuh. Broken?

14. DBA

DBA Well-Known Member

That's probably for the best. Lol

15. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

lol :)

16. DeltaHF

DeltaHF Well-Known Member

Huh? That is not true at all. Thread ID's do not change when a thread is moved in vB 3.

Jeremy, Luke F and DBA like this.
  17. DBA

DBA Well-Known Member

That's why I (attempted to) post this image above.

facepalm-picard.jpg

DeltaHF likes this.
  18. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

That's funny because I remember having to change URL's in posts everytime I moved a thread from old forum to the new one. But hey, you and DBA can just ignore what I say... And not believe me. Ya know.
    Yeah, real funny.

19. DeltaHF

DeltaHF Well-Known Member

Sorry, I don't want this to turn snippy. Really, though, I've been running my forum on vBulletin since 2002, and I've never had to edit any URLs to any posts. I just moved a thread now to confirm the thread ID does not change (vB 3.8).

20. OverHere

OverHere Active Member

I can't find any specific info on 'URL Portion' - what exactly is this and what does it do? I mean I tried to enter a URL in that field but it doesn't accept? What is supposed to be put in their and in what format?

Thanks.